Research Assistant Professor
Assistant Professor (Second appointment)
Clinical and Translational Science Institute, Tufts University
- PhD - University of Kiel, Germany - 2002
- MSc - Nanjing Agricultural University, China - 1994
- BSc - Nanjing Agricultural University, China - 1991
- Sun, X*. & S. A. Hirota (2014). The roles of host and pathogen factors and the innate immune response in the pathogenesis of Clostridium difficile infection. Mol Immunol. 2014 Sep 18 [Epub ahead of print] *Corresponding author
- Zhao, S., C. Ghose-Paul, K. Zhang, S. Tzipori, & X. Sun* (2014). Immune-based treatment and prevention of Clostridium difficile infection. Accepted by Hum Vaccin & Immunother. *Corresponding author
- Zhao, S., C. Ghose-Paul, X. Zhu, H. Shen and X. Sun* (2014). Clostridium difficile infection: virulence factors, adaptive immunity and vaccine development. Austin J Infect Dis. 2014;1(1): 7. *Corresponding author
- Sponseller, JK., J. Steele, D. Schmidt, H. Kim, G. Beamer, X. Sun & S Tzipori (2014). Hyperimmune Bovine Colostrum as a Novel Therapy for Clostridium difficile Infection. J Infect Dis. 2014 Nov 7.
- Kim, H.B., Q. Zhang, X. Sun, G. Beamer, D. Schmidt, Y. Wang & S. Tzipori (2014). Effect of oral tigecycline treatment on Clostridium difficile and human gut microflora. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014 Sep 29. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ali Y, S. Koberg, S. Heβner, X. Sun, B. Rabe, A. Back, H. Neve, K.J. Heller (2014). Temperate Streptococcus thermophilus phages expressing superinfection exclusion proteins of the Ltp type. Front Microbiol.5: 98
- Zhang, J. X. Rui, L. Wang, Y. Guan, X. Sun, M. Dong (2014). Polyphenolic extract from Rosa rugosa tea inhibits bacterial quorum sensing and biofilm formation. Food Control. 42:125-131.
- Wang Y.K., Q. Zou, J.H. Sun, H. A. Wang, X. Sun, Z. F. Chen, Y. X. Yan (2014). Screening of ssDNA aptamers against a zearalenone monoclonal antibody and development of a ssDNA-based enzyme-linked oligonucleotide assay for determination of zearalenone in corn. J Agric Food Chem. 2014 Dec 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chen X., M. Dongand X. Sun* (2013). Mechanisms of action and applications of probiotics for the treatment of Clostridium difficile infection. (a chapter in “Microbial pathogens and strategies for combating them: science, technology and education”, Formatex Research Center, Zurbaran, Spain). *Corresponding author.
- Wang H., X. Sun, Y. Zhang, S. Li, K. Chen, L. Shi, W. Nie, R. Kumar, S. Tzipori, J. Wang, T. Savidge & H. Feng (2012). A chimeric toxin vaccine protects against primary and recurrent Clostridium difficile infection. Infect. Immun. 80(8):2678-88.
- Steele J., K. Chen, X. Sun, Y. Zhang, H. Wang, S. Tzipori & H. Feng (2012). Toxemia is the cause of systemic disease in the piglet and mouse models of Clostridium difficile infection. J. Infect. Dis. 205(3):384-91.
- Sun X., H. Wang, B. Davis & H. Feng (2011). A mouse relapse model of Clostrridium difficile infection. Infect. Immun. 79(7):2856-64.
- Sun X., S. Tzipori & H. Feng (2010). The enterotoxicity of Clostridium difficile toxins. Toxins, 2(7), 1848-1880. (Invited review).
- Sun X., X. He, S. Tzipori, R. Gerhard & H. Feng (2009). Essential role of the glucosyltransferase activity in Clostridium difficile toxin-induced secretion of TNF-α by macrophages. Microb. Pathog. 46(6):298-305.
- He X., X. Sun, S. Tzipori, H. Feng (2009). Antibody-enhanced, Fc gamma Receptor-mediated endocytosis of Clostridium difficile toxin A. Infect. Immun. 77(6):2294-303. Co-first author
- He X., J. Steele, X. Sun, S. Tzipori & H. Feng (2009). An ultrasensitive and rapid immunocytotoxicity method for detecting Clostridium difficile toxins. J. Microbiol.l Methods 78(1):97-100.
- Sun X., D. van Sinderen, S. Moineau & K. J. Heller (2009). Impact of lysogeny on bacteria with a focus on lactic acid bacteria. (a chapter in “Contemporary Trend in Bacteriophage Research”, Nova Science Publisher, New York, ISBN: 978-1-6-692-181-4).
- Yang, G., B. Zhou, J. Wang, X. He, X. Sun, W. Nie, S. Tzipori & H. Feng (2008). Expression of recombinant toxin A and B in Bacillus megaterium. BMC Microbiol. Nov 6;8:192.
- Sun X., A. Göhler, K. J. Heller & H. Neve(2006). The ltp gene of temperate Streptococcus thermophilus phage TP-J34 confers superinfection exclusion to Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactococcus lactis. Virology 350 (1): 146-157.
- Sun X., D. F. Mierke, T. Biswas, S. Y. Lee, A. Landy & M. Radman-Livaja(2006). Architecture of the 99 bp DNA – Six Protein Regulatory Complex of the λ att Site. Molecular Cell. 24(4):569-80.
General Research Interests
My general research interest is microbial pathogenesis, host-pathogen interactions, inflammatory and immune response against pathogen infections, and development of immunotherapies.
My current research focus is on the pathogenesis of Clostridium difficile. C. difficile infection (CDI) has become a significant public health threat in the past decade. Toxins TcdA and TcdB are two major virulent factors of C. difficile. We are investigating C. difficile toxin-mediated signal transduction, leading to the production of proinflammatory mediators, such as TNF-α. We are also developing preventive and therapeutic approaches targeting C. diffcile toxins and proinflammatory mediators in CDI. We have established several animal models of CDI.
Selected Research Projects
1. Evaluation of novel therapeutics in animal models of CDI including mice and hamsters.
2. The innate immune responses to CDI.
3. The relative roles of C. difficile toxins in animal models.
4. Signaling pathways of TNF-α and other proinflammatory mediators and Clostridium difficile infection (CDI).
5. Development of novel therapeutic agents against C. difficile infection.
6. Regulation of C. difficile toxin production.
7. The roles of intestinal microflora and colonic progenitor cells in the pathogenesis of CDI.
- Dr. Song Zhao
- Dr. Yuanguo (Gary) Wang
- Dr. Xianghong Ju
- Dr. Yunlong Qin
Previous lab members
- Dr. Yuankai Wang
- Dr. Keshan Zhang (Associate Professor, Lanzhou Veterinary Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science, China)
Awards and Honors
2014 Tufts Institute for Innovation Inaugural Award(The institute is a major initiative of the university’s strategic plan, Tufts: the Next 10 Years (T10))
2014 Tufts Collaborates Award
2014 Editor for Journal of Veterinary Medicine and Research
2014 Editor for Austin Journal of Infectious Diseases
2013 Chair of the 3rd Annual Symposia of Bacteriology and Infection, Wuhan, China July 30–Aug 1, 2013
2013 Tufts Collaborates Award
2013 Tufts Technology Access Award
2012 NIH/NIDDK K01 Mentored Research Scientist Development Award (2012- 2017)
2010 Nominee for Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC) Young Investigator Award
2009 ESCMID (European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases) Award for the "6th ClostPath International Conference", Rome, Italy 19-23 October
2008 Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy(ICAAC) Infectious Diseases Fellows Grant, 48th Annual ICAAC/46th IDSA Annual Meeting in Washington, DC, awarded by the American Society for Microbiology and the Infectious Diseases Society of America
2007 Postdoctoral Travel Award, American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
2002 Young Scientist Award, Federation of European Microbiological Societies for the 7th Symposium on Lactic Acid Bacteria