- DVM – Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, 2008
- PhD (English and American Literature) – Harvard University, 2003
- BA – Stanford University, 1996
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists
- Pumphrey SA. Canine secondary glaucomas. The Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 2015; 45: 1335-1364.
- Pumphrey SA, Pirie CG, Pizzirani S, Needle DA. Glaucoma associated with uveal cysts and goniodysgenesis in American Bulldogs: a case series. Vet Ophthalmol 2013; 16:377-385.
- Pumphrey SA, Pizzirani S, Pirie CG, Anwer MS, Logvinenko T. Serum autoantibody profiles in canine goniodysgenesis-related glaucoma. Am J Vet Res 2013; 74:621-628.
- Pumphrey SA, Pizzirani S, Pirie CG, Sato AF, Buckley FI. Reactive histiocytosis of the orbit and posterior segment in a dog. Vet Ophthalmol 2013; 16:229-233.
- Pumphrey SA, Pirie CG, Rozanski EA. Uveitis associated with septic peritonitis in a cat. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2011; 21:279-284.
- Pumphrey SA, Pizzirani S, Pirie CG. 360-degree conjunctival grafting for management of diffuse keratomalacia in a dog. Vet Ophthalmol 2011; 14: 209-213
General Research Interests
- Extracellular matrix modification in canine glaucoma
- Alternative techniques for ocular surface reconstruction and stabilization
- Ocular oncology
- Ocular changes in systemic disease
- Measurements of client compliance and use of novel tools to improve treatment outcomes
Selected Research Projects
- PAI-1 levels in aqueous humor in canine primary glaucoma
- Autoantibodies against optic nerve antigens in canine goniodysgenesis-related glaucoma
- Alternate models for teaching lesion recognition
- Alternate means of assessment for didactic courses
- Mentoring of house officers with regards to mental health and self-care
Major Specialized Equipment
- Diode and CO2 laser
- Ultrasound biomicroscopy (UBM) and high-resolution ocular ultrasound (HRUS)
- Electroretinography (ERG)