Distinguished Professor of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Agnes Varis University Chair in Science and Society
Chair, Department of Infectious Disease and Global Health
Infectious Disease, Enteric Infections and Host Response
- FRCVS - Fellow Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, London - 1990
- DSc - University of Melbourne, Australia - 1985
- Ph.D. - University of Queensland, Australia - 1974
- DVM - (BVSc) - University of Queensland, Australia - 1970
- Jaskiewicz, J.J., Sandlin, R.D., Swei, A.A., Widmer, G., Toner, M., Tzipori, S. 2018. Cryopreservation of infectious Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts. Nature Communications.
- Wang, Y., Wang, S., Bouillaut, L., Li, C., Duan, Z., Zhang, K., Ju, X., Tzipori, S., Sonenshein, A.L., Sun, X. 2018. Oral Immunization with Nontoxigenic Clostridium difficile Strains Expressing Chimeric Fragments of TcdA and TcdB Elicits Protective Immunity against C. difficile Infection in Both Mice and Hamsters. Infection and immunity.
- Lee, S., Ginese, M., Beamer, G., Danz, H.R., Girouard, D.J., Chapman-Bonofiglio, S.P., Lee, M., Hulverson, M.A., Choi, R., Whitman, G.R., Ojo, K.K., Arnold, S.L.M., Van Voorhis, W.C., Tzipori, S. 2018. Therapeutic efficacy of bumped kinase inhibitor 1369 in a pig model of acute diarrhea caused by cryptosporidium hominis. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.
- Sheoran, A.S., Pina-Mimbela, R., Keleher, A., Girouard, D., Tzipori, S. 2018. Infection with anthroponotic Cryptosporidium parvum does not fully protect the host against a subsequent challenge with C. hominis. Microbes and Infection.
- Mirhashemi, M.E., Noubary, F., Chapman-Bonofiglio, S., Tzipori, S., Huggins, G.S., Widmer, G. 2018. Transcriptome analysis of pig intestinal cell monolayers infected with Cryptosporidium parvum asexual stages. Parasites and Vectors.
- Mor, S.M., Ascolillo, L.R., Nakato, R., Ndeezi, G., Tumwine, J.K., Okwera, A., Sponseller, J.K., Tzipori, S., Griffiths, J.K. 2018. Expectoration of cryptosporidium parasites in sputum of human immunodeficiency virus-positive and -negative adults. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
- Lee, S., Harwood, M., Girouard, D., Meyers, M.J., Campbell, M.A., Beamer, G., Tzipori, S. 2017. The therapeutic efficacy of azithromycin and nitazoxanide in the acute pig model of Cryptosporidium hominis. PLoS ONE.
- Jacobson, A.R., Adler, M., Silvaggi, N.R., Allen, K.N., Smith, G.M., Fredenburg, R.A., Stein, R.L., Park, J.-B., Feng, X., Shoemaker, C.B., Deshpande, S.S., Goodnough, M.C., Malizio, C.J., Johnson, E.A., Pellett, S., Tepp, W.H., Tzipori, S. 2017. Small molecule metalloprotease inhibitor with inÂ vitro, exÂ vivo and inÂ vivo efficacy against botulinum neurotoxin serotype A. Toxicon.
- Stinson, J.A., Raja, W.K., Lee, S., Kim, H.B., Diwan, I., Tutunjian, S., Panilaitis, B., Omenetto, F.G., Tzipori, S., Kaplan, D.L. 2017. Silk Fibroin Microneedles for Transdermal Vaccine Delivery. ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering.
- Barta, M.L., Shearer, J.P., Arizmendi, O., Tremblay, J.M., Mehzabeen, N., Zheng, Q., Battaile, K.P., Lovell, S., Tzipori, S., Picking, W.D., Shoemaker, C.B., Picking, W.L. 2017. Single-domain antibodies pinpoint potential targets within Shigella invasion plasmid antigen D of the needle tip complex for inhibition of type III secretion. Journal of Biological Chemistry.
- Tzipori, S., Jaskiewicz, J.J. 2016. Protozoan Diseases: Cryptosporidiosis, Giardiasis, and Other Intestinal Protozoan Diseases. International Encyclopedia of Public Health.
- Kaleko, M., Bristol, J.A., Hubert, S., Parsley, T., Widmer, G., Tzipori, S., Subramanian, P., Hasan, N., Koski, P., Kokai-Kun, J., Sliman, J., Jones, A., Connelly, S. 2016. Development of SYN-004, an oral beta-lactamase treatment to protect the gut microbiome from antibiotic-mediated damage and prevent Clostridium difficile infection. Anaerobe.
- Schmidt, D.J., Beamer, G., Tremblay, J.M., Steele, J.A., Kim, H.B., Wang, Y., Debatis, M., Sun, X., Kashentseva, E.A., Dmitriev, I.P., Curiel, D.T., Shoemaker, C.B., Tzipori, S. 2016. A tetraspecific VHH-based neutralizing antibody modifies disease outcome in three animal models of clostridium difficile infection. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology.
- Morada, M., Lee, S., Gunther-Cummins, L., Weiss, L.M., Widmer, G., Tzipori, S., Yarlett, N. 2016. Continuous culture of Cryptosporidium parvum using hollow fiber technology. International Journal for Parasitology.
- Ifeonu, O.O., Simon, R., Tennant, S.M., Sheoran, A.S., Daly, M.C., Felix, V., Kissinger, J.C., Widmer, G., Levine, M.M., Tzipori, S., Silva, J.C. 2016. Cryptosporidium hominis gene catalog: A resource for the selection of novel Cryptosporidium vaccine candidates. Database.
- Speare, R., Mendez, D., Judd, J., Reid, S., Tzipori, S., Massey, P.D. 2015. Willingness to consult a veterinarian on physician's advice for zoonotic diseases: A formal role for veterinarians in medicine?. PLoS ONE.
- Bouillaut, L., McBride, S., Sorg, J.A., Schmidt, D.J., Suarez, J.M., Tzipori, S., Mascio, C., Chesnel, L., Sonenshein, A.L. 2015. Effects of surotomycin on Clostridium difficile viability and toxin production in vitro. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.
- Chappell, C.L., Okhuysen, P.C., Langer-Curry, R.C., Lupo, P.J., Widmer, G., Tzipori, S. 2015. Cryptosporidium muris: Infectivity and illness in healthy adult volunteers. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
- Sponseller, J.K., Steele, J.A., Schmidt, D.J., Kim, H.B., Beamer, G., Sun, X., Tzipori, S. 2015. Hyperimmune bovine colostrum as a novel therapy to combat clostridium difficile infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases.
- Wang, Y.-K., Yan, Y.-X., Kim, H.B., Ju, X., Zhao, S., Zhang, K., Tzipori, S., Sun, X. 2015. A chimeric protein comprising the glucosyltransferase and cysteine proteinase domains of toxin b and the receptor binding domain of toxin a induces protective immunity against Clostridium Difficile infection in mice and hamsters. Human Vaccines and Immunotherapeutics.
General Research InterestsEnteric infections and the host response; this includes viral, bacterial and protozoan pathogens of veterinary and medical importance causing acute or chronic diarrhea in the immunocompetent or the immunodeficient host. In recent years investigations have focused specifically on:
- The biology, pathogenesis, immunology, epidemiology, diagnosis, treatment, prevention and control of cryptosporidiosis and microsporidiosis in children from developing countries, and in individuals with HIV/AIDS.
- Mechanisms of disease caused by Shiga-toxin producing E. coli(STEC), and development of therapy against the associated hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) - a complicating acute kidney failure in children.
- Development of botulinum antitoxin therapy and control of intoxication in humans.
- Development of strategies for identification, characterization and risk assessment of food and waterborne pathogens.
- Development and preclinical evaluation of temperature-resistant and needle-free human vaccines for developing countries.
- Clostridium difficile Disease: Investigations on the biology, pathogenesis, and development of therapy and vaccines.
- Characterization of the human microbiome in the germfree pig model to investigate human gastrointestinal disorders.
- Global health and RESPOND: a USAID sponsored project under EPT (Emerging Pandemic Threats).
Selected Research Projects
- Respiratory cryptosporidiosis in Uganda.
- Immune based therapy against hemolytic uremic syndrome caused by shiga-toxin producing E. coli.
- Botulinum biology and development of antitoxin therapy.
- Investigations on the infant and adult human microbiomes in the germfree piglet model.
- Development and evaluation of Bacillus subtilis as a delivery system of temperature resistant and non-invasive vaccines.
- Preclinical evaluation of enteric vaccines against shigellosis.
- Clostridium difficile: studies on; a) vaccine development and methods of administration; b) development and evaluation of antimicrobial agents; c) development and evaluation of immune-based therapeutics; d) development of animal models to investigate pathogenic mechanisms.
- Development and use of a thigh mouse model to specifically test drugs against multidrug resistant bacteria.
Research Interests by Area
Infectious Diseases: Prevention and Control
- Therapy for cryptosporidiosis, Vaccine delivery systems, Monoclonal antibodies to HUS prophylaxis, botulism antidote
- Botulism antidotes and anti-toxins
Infectious Diseases: Genetics and Genomics
- Cryptosporidium genome sequencing
Infectious Diseases: Pathogenesis/Host Response
- Pathogenesis of cryptosporidium parvum, microsporidium, E. Coli O157