- MS - Colorado State University - 1985
- DVM - Colorado State University - 1981
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Phipps, W.E., de Laforcade, A.M., Barton, B.A., Berg, J. 2020. Postoperative thrombocytosis and thromboelastographic evidence of hypercoagulability in dogs undergoing splenectomy for splenic masses. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Oura, T.J., Hamel, P.E., Jennings, S.H., Bain, P.J., Jennings, D.E., Berg, J. 2019. Radiographic Differentiation of Cranial Mediastinal Lymphomas from Thymic Epithelial Tumors in Dogs and Cats. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Grimes, J.A., Mestrinho, L.A., Berg, J., Cass, S., Oblak, M.L., Murphy, S., Amsellem, P.M., Brown, P., Hamaide, A., Matz, B.M. 2019. Histologic evaluation of mandibular and medial retropharyngeal lymph nodes during staging of oral malignant melanoma and squamous cell carcinoma in dogs. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Singh, A., Giuffrida, M.A., Thomson, C.B., Baum, J., Kramek, B., Liptak, J.M., Hyndman, P., Ringwood, B., Smeak, D., Ham, K., Berg, J., Thieman-Mankin, K., Blois, S.L., Boston, S.E. 2019. Perioperative characteristics, histological diagnosis, and outcome in cats undergoing surgical treatment of primary hyperparathyroidism. Veterinary Surgery.
- Baron, J.K., Casale, S.A., Monnet, E., Mayhew, P.D., Runge, J.J., Follette, C.M., Phipps, K., Powell, M.E., Reczynska, A.I., Squire, N.T., Barton, B.A., Berg, J. 2019. Paramedian incisional complications after prophylactic laparoscopy-assisted gastropexy in 411 dogs. Veterinary Surgery.
- Bartholf DeWitt, S., Eward, W.C., Eward, C.A., Lazarides, A.L., Whitley, M.J., Ferrer, J.M., Brigman, B.E., Kirsch, D.G., Berg, J. 2016. A Novel Imaging System Distinguishes Neoplastic from Normal Tissue During Resection of Soft Tissue Sarcomas and Mast Cell Tumors in Dogs. Veterinary Surgery.
- Biller, B., Berg, J., Garrett, L., Ruslander, D., Wearing, R., Abbott, B., Patel, M., Smith, D., Bryan, C. 2016. 2016 AAHA oncology guidelines for dogs and cats. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Ghaghada, K.B., Sato, A.F., Starosolski, Z.A., Berg, J., Vail, D.M. 2016. Computed tomography imaging of solid tumors using a liposomal-iodine contrast agent in companion dogs with naturally occurring cancer. PLoS ONE.
- Wendelburg, K.M., Price, L.L., Burgess, K.E., Lyons, J.A., Lew, F.H., Berg, J. 2015. Survival time of dogs with splenic hemangiosarcoma treated by splenectomy with or without adjuvant chemotherapy: 208 cases (2001â2012). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Montinaro, V., Massari, F., Vezzoni, L., Liptak, J.M., Straw, R.C., Allen, L., Cavanaugh, R.P., Berg, J., Doyle, R.S., Buracco, P., Romanelli, G. 2015. Lateral caudal axial pattern flap in 13 dogs. Veterinary Surgery.
- Garneau, M.S., Price, L.L., Withrow, S.J., Boston, S.E., Ewing, P.J., Mcclaran, J.K., Liptak, J.M., Berg, J. 2015. Perioperative Mortality and Long-Term Survival in 80 Dogs and 32 Cats Undergoing Excision of Thymic Epithelial Tumors. Veterinary Surgery.
- Wendelburg, K.M., O’toole, T.E., McCobb, E., Price, L.L., Lyons, J.A., Berg, J. 2014. Risk factors for perioperative death in dogs undergoing splenectomy for splenic masses: 539 cases (2001â2012). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Berg, J. 2014. Surgical treatment of pericardial diseases and cardiac neoplasms. Current Techniques in Small Animal Surgery, Fifth Edition.
- Schmidt, A.F., Nielen, M., Klungel, O.H., Hoes, A.W., de Boer, A., Groenwold, R.H.H., Kirpensteijn, J., Amsellem, P., Bacon, N., Berg, J., Kow, K., Kurzman, I., Maritato, K., Moore, A., Morello, E., Sottnik, J., Vail, D. 2013. Prognostic factors of early metastasis and mortality in dogs with appendicular osteosarcoma after receiving surgery: An individual patient data meta-analysis. Preventive Veterinary Medicine.
- Zacher, L.A., Berg, J., Shaw, S.P., Kudej, R.K. 2010. Association between outcome and changes in plasma lactate concentration during presurgical treatment in dogs with gastric dilatation-volvulus: 64 cases (2002-2008). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Kenney, E.M., Rozanski, E.A., Rush, J.E., Delaforcade-Buress, A.M., Berg, J.R., Silverstein, D.C., Montealegre, C.D., Ari Jutkowitz, L., Adamantos, S., Ovbey, D.H., Boysen, S.R., Shaw, S.P. 2010. Association between outcome and organ system dysfunction in dogs with sepsis: 114 cases (2003-2007). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Whelan, M.F., O'Toole, T.E., Carlson, K.R., Sutherland-Smith, J., Berg, J. 2007. Budd - Chiari-like syndrome in a dog with a chondrosarcoma of the thoracic wall. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Zitz, I., Rozanski, E., Penninck, D., Berg, J. 2007. Managing dogs with thoracic impalement injuries: A review of nine cases. Veterinary Medicine.
- Ko, K.S., Backus, R.C., Berg, J.R., Lame, M.W., Rogers, Q.R. 2007. Differences in taurine synthesis rate among dogs relate to differences in their maintenance energy requirement. Journal of Nutrition.
- Backus, R.C., Kwang, S.K., Fascetti, A.J., Kittleson, M.D., MacDonald, K.A., Maggs, D.J., Berg, J.R., Rogers, Q.R. 2006. Low plasma taurine concentration in newfoundland dogs is associated with low plasma methionine and cyst(e)ine concentrations and low taurine synthesis. Journal of Nutrition.
General Research Interests
Selected Research Projects
- Evaluation of a novel tumor imaging system for intraoperative assessment of the completeness of tumor excision
Research and Clinical Interests
- Strategies for improving local control of surgically excised tumors
- Canine osteosarcoma as a naturally occurring model for human osteosarcoma
- Outcome following surgical excision of naturally occurring tumors of dogs and cats
- Clinical veterinary soft tissue surgery and surgical oncology
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Tumor excision in dogs and cats, wound management
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Cardiovascular Diseases and Nutrition
- Surgical interventions in CV diseases
Oncology and Cancer Research and Clinical Trials
- Canine osteosarcoma as a naturally occurring animal model for human osteosarcoma, technologies for improving local control of surgically-excised tumors. Oncology surgery; identification of surgical margins.
Major Specialized Equipment
- MRI, CT, linear accelerator, surgical laser, laparoscopic and thoracoscopic equipment