- MS - Colorado State University - 1985
- DVM - Colorado State University - 1981
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Biller, B., Berg, J., Garrett, L., Ruslander, D., Wearing, R., Abbott, B., Patel, M., Smith, D., Bryan, C. 2016. 2016 AAHA oncology guidelines for dogs and cats. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Ghaghada, K.B., Sato, A.F., Starosolski, Z.A., Berg, J., Vail, D.M. 2016. Computed tomography imaging of solid tumors using a liposomal-iodine contrast agent in companion dogs with naturally occurring cancer. PLoS ONE.
- Wendelburg, K.M., Price, L.L., Burgess, K.E., Lyons, J.A., Lew, F.H., Berg, J. 2015. Survival time of dogs with splenic hemangiosarcoma treated by splenectomy with or without adjuvant chemotherapy: 208 cases (2001–2012). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Garneau, M.S., Price, L.L., Withrow, S.J., Boston, S.E., Ewing, P.J., Mcclaran, J.K., Liptak, J.M., Berg, J. 2015. Perioperative Mortality and Long-Term Survival in 80 Dogs and 32 Cats Undergoing Excision of Thymic Epithelial Tumors. Veterinary Surgery.
- Wendelburg, K.M., O’toole, T.E., McCobb, E., Price, L.L., Lyons, J.A., Berg, J. 2014. Risk factors for perioperative death in dogs undergoing splenectomy for splenic masses: 539 cases (2001–2012). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Schmidt, A.F., Nielen, M., Klungel, O.H., Hoes, A.W., de Boer, A., Groenwold, R.H.H., Kirpensteijn, J., Amsellem, P., Bacon, N., Berg, J., Kow, K., Kurzman, I., Maritato, K., Moore, A., Morello, E., Sottnik, J., Vail, D. 2013. Prognostic factors of early metastasis and mortality in dogs with appendicular osteosarcoma after receiving surgery: An individual patient data meta-analysis. Preventive Veterinary Medicine.
- Zacher, L.A., Berg, J., Shaw, S.P., Kudej, R.K. 2010. Association between outcome and changes in plasma lactate concentration during presurgical treatment in dogs with gastric dilatation-volvulus: 64 cases (2002-2008). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Kenney, E.M., Rozanski, E.A., Rush, J.E., Delaforcade-Buress, A.M., Berg, J.R., Silverstein, D.C., Montealegre, C.D., Ari Jutkowitz, L., Adamantos, S., Ovbey, D.H., Boysen, S.R., Shaw, S.P. 2010. Association between outcome and organ system dysfunction in dogs with sepsis: 114 cases (2003-2007). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Whelan, M.F., O'Toole, T.E., Carlson, K.R., Sutherland-Smith, J., Berg, J. 2007. Budd - Chiari-like syndrome in a dog with a chondrosarcoma of the thoracic wall. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Zitz, I., Rozanski, E., Penninck, D., Berg, J. 2007. Managing dogs with thoracic impalement injuries: A review of nine cases. Veterinary Medicine.
- Wagner, A., MacGregor, J.M., Berg, J., Sharkey, L.C., Rush, J.E. 2006. Septic pericarditis in a Yorkshire Terrier. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Henry, C.J., Brewer Jr., W.G., Whitley, E.M., Tyler, J.W., Ogilvie, G.K., Norris, A., Fox, L.E., Morrison, W.B., Hammer, A., Vail, D.M., Berg, J. 2005. Canine digital tumors: A veterinary cooperative oncology group retrospective study of 64 dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Pike, F.S., Berg, J., King, N.W., Penninck, D., Webster, C.R.L. 2004. Revision to gallbladder mucocele article . Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Streeter, E.M., Rozanski, E.A., Berg, J., Walker, T., O'Toole, T.E. 2004. Esophageal perforation in a dog following an acute episode of gastric dilatation with 360° volvulus. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Pike, F.S., Berg, J., King, N.W., Penninck, D.G., Webster, C.R.L. 2004. Gallbladder mucocele in dogs: 30 Cases (2000-2002). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Minihan, A.C., Berg, J., Evans, K.L. 2004. Chronic diaphragmatic hernia in 34 dogs and 16 cats. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- DeRegis, C.J., Moore, A.S., Rand, W.M., Berg, J. 2003. Cisplatin and doxorubicin toxicosis in dogs with osteosarcoma. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Boria, P.A., Webster, C.R.L., Berg, J. 2003. Esophageal achalasia and secondary megaesophagus in a dog. Canadian Veterinary Journal.
- Garzotto, C.K., Berg, J., Hoffmann, W.E., Rand, W.M. 2000. Prognostic significance of serum alkaline phosphatase activity in canine appendicular osteosarcoma. Journal of veterinary internal medicine / American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Crawshaw, J., Berg, J., Sardinas, J.C., Engler, S.J., Rand, W.M., Ogilvie, G.K., Spodnick, G.J., O'Keefe, D.A., Vail, D.M., Henderson, R.A. 1998. Prognosis for Dogs with Nonlymphomatous, Small Intestinal Tumors Treated by Surgical Excision. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
General Research Interests
Selected Research Projects
- Evaluation of a novel tumor imaging system for intraoperative assessment of the completeness of tumor excision
Research and Clinical Interests
- Strategies for improving local control of surgically excised tumors
- Canine osteosarcoma as a naturally occurring model for human osteosarcoma
- Outcome following surgical excision of naturally occurring tumors of dogs and cats
- Clinical veterinary soft tissue surgery and surgical oncology
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Tumor excision in dogs and cats, wound management
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Cardiovascular Diseases and Nutrition
- Surgical interventions in CV diseases
Oncology and Cancer Research and Clinical Trials
- Canine osteosarcoma as a naturally occurring animal model for human osteosarcoma, technologies for improving local control of surgically-excised tumors. Oncology surgery; identification of surgical margins.
Major Specialized Equipment
- MRI, CT, linear accelerator, surgical laser, laparoscopic and thoracoscopic equipment