- BVMS - Glasgow University School of Veterinary Medicine - 1970
- American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists (ACVA)
- American College of Veterinary Behavior (ACVB)
- The effect of thyroid replacement in dogs with suboptimal thyroid function on owner-directed aggression: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Dodman NH, Cottam N, Aronson L, Dodds WJ. J Vet Behav, (accepted for publication) 2012.
- The Effectiveness of the Anxiety Wrap in the Treatment of Canine Thunderstorm Phobia: An Open-Label Trial. Dodman NH, Cottam N. Journal of Applied Animal Behaviour, (accepted for publication) 2012.
- Characteristics of compulsive tail chasing and associated risk factors in Bull Terriers. Moon-Fanelli AA, Famula TR, Cottam N, Dodman NH. J Am Vet Med Assoc, Vol. 238(7) 883-889, 2011.
- Interdog household aggression: 38 cases (2006-2007). Wrubel KM, Dodman NH, Moon-Fanelli AA, Maranda LS. J Am Vet Med Assoc, Vol. 238(6) 731-740, 2011.
- The use of clonidine in the treatment of fear-based behavior problems in dogs: An open trial. Ogata N, Dodman NH. J Vet Behav, Vol. 6:130-137, 2011.
- Association of phenylbutazone usage with horses bought for slaughter: A public health risk. Dodman NH, Blondeau N, Marini AM. Food & Chemical Toxicology 2010 Vol. 48: 1270-1274.
- A Canine Chromosome 7 Locus Confers Compulsive Disorder Susceptibility. Nicholas H. Dodman, Elinor K. Karlsson, Alice Moon-Fanelli, Marzena Galdzicka, Michele Perloski, Louis Shuster, Kerstin Lindblad-Toh, and Edward I. Ginns. 2010 Molecular Psychiatry 15:8-10.
- A Single-Blinded Case-Control Study of Memantine in Severe obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Stewart SE, NM, D E, Hezel DM, Stack DE, Dodman NH, Shuster L, Jenike MA. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology 2010 Vol. 30 (1): 34-39.
- Comparison of the Effectiveness of a Purported Anti-Static Cape (the Storm Defender®) vs. a Placebo Cape in the Treatment of Canine Thunderstorm Phobia. Cottam N, Dodman NH. Applied Animal Behavior Science 2009 Vol. 119: 78-84.
- Clinical use of an herbal extract (Huperzine-A) to treat putative complex partial seizures in a dog. Schneider BM, Dodman NH, Faissler D, Ogata N. Epilepsy & Behavior 2009 Vol. 15: 529-534.
- Use of memantine in treatment of canine compulsive disorders: A preliminary, clinical trial. Maurer BM, Dodman NH. J Vet Behav: Clinical Application and Research 2009 Vol. 4:118-126.
- The Combined Effects of Memantine and Fluoxetine on an Animal Model of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Wald R, Dodman N, Shuster L. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology 2008 Vol. 17(3) 191-197.
- Comparison of remote versus in-person behavioral consultation for treatment of canine separation anxiety. Cottam N, Dodman NH, Moon-Fanelli AA, Patronek GJ. J Applied Animal Welfare Science 2008 Vol. 11 (1); 28-41.
General Research Interests
- Pharmacologic control of animal behavior problems.
Research Interests by Area
Reproductive Biology and Neuroscience
- Genetic basis of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) in animals and humans, Pharmacological management of OCD. Genetic basis of canine and feline behavioral disorders; drug therapy for behavior in dogs and cats.
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder models in dogs and cats, and autism model in dogs
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Neurology and Behavior
- Pharmacological management of obsessive/compulsive behavior disorders