- BVMS - Glasgow University School of Veterinary Medicine - 1970
- American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists (ACVA)
- American College of Veterinary Behavior (ACVB)
- Blaze, C.A., Faissler, D., Schneider, B., Maranda, L., Barton, B., Simon, R.F., Dodman, N.H. 2016. The effect of acepromazine on electroencephalographic activity in normal sedated dogs. International Journal of Applied Research in Veterinary Medicine.
- Dodman, N.H., Ginns, E.I., Shuster, L., Moon-Fanelli, A.A., Galdzicka, M., Zheng, J., Ruhe, A.L., Neff, M.W. 2016. Genomic risk for severe canine compulsive disorder, a dog model of human OCD. International Journal of Applied Research in Veterinary Medicine.
- Dodman, N.H. 2015. More on animal welfare. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Krebsbach, S., Dodman, N.H. 2015. Letters to the editor: More on animal welfare. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Borns-Weil, S., Emmanuel, C., Longo, J., Kini, N., Barton, B., Smith, A., Dodman, N.H. 2015. A case-control study of compulsive wool-sucking in Siamese and Birman cats (n = 204). Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research.
- Dodman, N.H. 2014. Experience of breathing carbon dioxide. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Tsilioni, I., Dodman, N., Petra, A.I., Taliou, A., Francis, K., Moon-Fanelli, A., Shuster, L., Theoharides, T.C. 2014. Elevated serum neurotensin and CRH levels in children with autistic spectrum disorders and tail-chasing Bull Terriers with a phenotype similar to autism. Translational psychiatry.
- Ogata, N., Gillis, T.E., Liu, X., Cunningham, S.M., Lowen, S.B., Adams, B.L., Sutherland-Smith, J., Mintzopoulos, D., Janes, A.C., Dodman, N.H., Kaufman, M.J. 2013. Brain structural abnormalities in Doberman pinschers with canine compulsive disorder. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry.
- Moya, P.R., Dodman, N.H., Timpano, K.R., Rubenstein, L.M., Rana, Z., Fried, R.L., Reichardt, L.F., Heiman, G.A., Tischfield, J.A., King, R.A., Galdzicka, M., Ginns, E.I., Wendland, J.R. 2013. Rare missense neuronal cadherin gene (CDH2) variants in specific obsessive-compulsive disorder and Tourette disorder phenotypes. European Journal of Human Genetics.
- Dodman, N.H., Aronson, L., Cottam, N., Dodds, J.W. 2013. The effect of thyroid replacement in dogs with suboptimal thyroid function on owner-directed aggression: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research.
- Cottam, N., Dodman, N.H., Ha, J.C. 2013. The effectiveness of the Anxiety Wrap in the treatment of canine thunderstorm phobia: An open-label trial. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research.
- Marini, A.M., Blondeau, N., Dodman, N. 2012. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 2010, author response to letter by Don Henneke, Sheryl King, William Day and Pat Evans regarding Association of phenylbutazone usage in horses bought for slaughter: A public health risk. Food and Chemical Toxicology.
- Dodman, N.H. 2011. Protecting horses at the track.. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Dodman, N.H., Winand, N.J. 2011. Debate continues on horse welfare issue. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Moon-Fanelli, A.A., Dodman, N.H., Famula, T.R., Cottam, N. 2011. Characteristics of compulsive tail chasing and associated risk factors in bull terriers. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Wrubel, K.M., Moon-Fanelli, A.A., Maranda, L.S., Dodman, N.H. 2011. Interdog household aggression: 38 cases (2006-2007). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Ogata, N., Dodman, N.H. 2011. The use of clonidine in the treatment of fear-based behavior problems in dogs: An open trial. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research.
- Dodman, N., Blondeau, N., Marini, A.M. 2010. Association of phenylbutazone usage with horses bought for slaughter: A public health risk. Food and Chemical Toxicology.
- Stewart, S.E., Jenike, E.A., Hezel, D.M., Stack, D.E., Dodman, N.H., Shuster, L., Jenike, M.A. 2010. A single-blinded case-control study of memantine in severe obsessive-compulsive disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology.
- Dodman, N.H., Karlsson, E.K., Moon-Fanelli, A., Galdzicka, M., Perloski, M., Shuster, L., Lindblad-Toh, K., Ginns, E.I. 2010. A canine chromosome 7 locus confers compulsive disorder susceptibility. Molecular Psychiatry.
General Research Interests
- Pharmacologic control of animal behavior problems.
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder models in dogs and cats, and autism model in dogs
Neuroscience and Reproductive Biology
Animal Models of Psychiatric and Neurological Disorders
Animal models of are frequently used to elucidate disease mechanisms and identify potential therapeutic targets. A large number of preclinical models of psychiatric disorders have been developed in rodents. Additionally, spontaneous clinical models of psychiatric disorders, such as separation anxiety and compulsive disorder, have been documented in dogs. With regard to neurological disorders, conditions such as stroke, can be induced in rodent models and are also observed clinically in companion animals. Information regarding genetic predisposition, sex-specificity, and age-related factors can also be assessed using these types of animal models. Learn more
Reproductive Biology and Neuroscience
- Genetic basis of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) in animals and humans, Pharmacological management of OCD. Genetic basis of canine and feline behavioral disorders; drug therapy for behavior in dogs and cats.
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Neurology and Behavior
- Pharmacological management of obsessive/compulsive behavior disorders