- BSc. Hons. Biology University of North Carolina 1989
- DVM Purdue University 1993
- PhD Purdue University 2002
- Diplomate ACVIM
- Durham, A.E., Frank, N., McGowan, C.M., Menzies-Gow, N.J., Roelfsema, E., Vervuert, I., Feige, K., Fey, K. 2019. Response to letter to editor regarding ECEIM consensus statement on equine metabolic syndrome. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Durham, A.E., Frank, N., McGowan, C.M., Menzies-Gow, N.J., Roelfsema, E., Vervuert, I., Feige, K., Fey, K. 2019. ECEIM consensus statement on equine metabolic syndrome. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Hodge, E., Kowalski, A., Torcivia, C., Lindborg, S., Stefanovski, D., Hart, K., Frank, N., van Eps, A. 2019. Effect of thyrotropin-releasing hormone stimulation testing on the oral sugar test in horses when performed as a combined protocol. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Gorenberg, E.B., Johnson, A.L., Magdesian, K.G., Bertin, F.-R., Costa, L.R.R., Theelen, M.J.P., Durward-Akhurst, S.A., Cruz Villagrán, C., Carslake, H., Frank, N., Tomlinson, J.E. 2019. Diagnosis and treatment of confirmed and suspected primary hyperparathyroidism in equids: 17 cases (1999â2016). Equine Veterinary Journal.
- Frank, N. 2018. Endocrine Disorders of the Equine Athlete. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Equine Practice.
- Mueller, M.K., Sween, C., Frank, N., Paradis, M.R. 2018. Survey of human-horse relationships and veterinary care for geriatric horses. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Newkirk, K.M., Ehrensing, G., Odoi, A., Boston, R.C., Frank, N. 2018. Immunohistochemical expression of insulin, glucagon, and somatostatin in pancreatic islets of horses with and without insulin resistance. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Frank, N., Walsh, D.M. 2017. Repeatability of Oral Sugar Test Results, Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Measurements, and Serum High-Molecular-Weight Adiponectin Concentrations in Horses. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Durham, A.E., Bailey, S.R., Frank, N., McFarlane, D., Schott, H.C., Paradis, M.R. 2017. Science-in-brief: Workshop report The Dorothy Havemeyer International Equine Endocrinology Summit. Equine Veterinary Journal.
- Frank, N., Hermida, P., Sanchez-Londoño, A., Singh, R., Gradil, C.M., Uricchio, C.K. 2017. Blood Glucose and Insulin Concentrations after Octreotide Administration in Horses With Insulin Dysregulation. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Restifo, M.M., Frank, N., Hermida, P., Sanchez-Londoño, A. 2016. Effects of withholding feed on thyrotropin-releasing hormone stimulation test results and effects of combined testing on oral sugar test and thyrotropin-releasing hormone stimulation test results in horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Banse, H.E., Holbrook, T.C., Frank, N., McFarlane, D. 2016. Relationship of skeletal muscle inflammation with obesity and obesity-associated hyperinsulinemia in horses. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Chameroy, K.A., Frank, N., Elliott, S.B., Boston, R.C. 2016. Comparison of Plasma Active Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 Concentrations in Normal Horses and Those With Equine Metabolic Syndrome and in Horses Placed on a High-Grain Diet. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science.
- Hart, K.A., Wochele, D.M., Norton, N.A., Mcfarlane, D., Wooldridge, A.A., Frank, N. 2016. Effect of Age, Season, Body Condition, and Endocrine Status on Serum Free Cortisol Fraction and Insulin Concentration in Horses. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- McKinney, C., Mueller, M.K., Frank, N. 2015. Effects of Therapeutic Riding on Measures of Stress in Horses. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science.
- Banse, H.E., Frank, N., Kwong, G.P.S., McFarlane, D. 2015. Relationship of oxidative stress in skeletal muscle with obesity and obesity-associated hyperinsulinemia in horses. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Frank, N. 2015. Pituitary Pars Intermedia Dysfunction. Robinson's Current Therapy in Equine Medicine: Seventh Edition.
- Frank, N. 2015. Equine Metabolic Syndrome. Robinson's Current Therapy in Equine Medicine: Seventh Edition.
- Goodale, L., Frank, N., Hermida, P., D’Oench, S. 2015. Evaluation of a thyrotropin-releasing hormone solution stored at room temperature for pituitary pars intermedia dysfunction testing in horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Frank, N., Tadros, E.M. 2014. Insulin dysregulation. Equine Veterinary Journal.
General Research Interests
- Internal medicine
- Comparative endocrinology
Selected Research Projects
- Endotoxemia as a predisposing factor for laminitis
- Effects of clinical endotoxemia on glucose metabolism in horses
- Levothyroxine as a treatment for insulin resistance
- Effects of resting insulin sensitivity on the acute response to endotoxin in horses
- Effects of combining endotoxemia and alimentary carbohydrate overload on glucose and insulin dynamics in horses
- Improved diagnosis and monitoring of equine endocrine disorders
- Development of an optimal protocol for evaluating insulin secretion and sensitivity in horses
- A study of the alterations in glucose and lipid metabolism that accompany the development of laminitis in horses
- Evaluating the effects of endotoxin on glucose dynamics in horses using intravenous glucose tolerance test and euglycemic hyperinsulinemic clamp techniques
Research and Clinical Interests
- Diagnosis and management of endocrine disorders
- Equine Metabolic Syndrome
- Cushings disease
- Insulin resistance
- Diabetes mellitus
- Incretin hormones
- Electrolyte disorders
- Nutritional diseases
- Geriatric medicine
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Animal models of obesity, metabolic syndrome, equine Cushing's, and aging
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Nutritional Basis of Diseases
- Obesity, insulin resistance, and beta cell function and lipid metabolism.
- Insulin resistance, diabetes mellitis, hyperadrenocorticism. Laminitis in horses. Obesity.
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Research Sponsor Interest
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Foundation
- American Quarter Horse Foundation
- Grayson Jockey Club Foundation
- United States Equestrian Federation