- DMVH - Munich University - 1980
- PhD - Kansas State University - 1973
- MS - Dhaka University - 1968
- Belgrad JP, Rahman MA, Abdullah MS, Rashid MH, Sayeed MA, Anwer MS, Hoque MA. 2018. Newcastle disease sero and viro-prevalence in rural poultry in Chittagong, Bangladesh. Prev Vet Med. 2018 Nov 15;160:18-25
General Research Interests
Functional abnormalities associated with various liver diseases lead to accumulation of toxic products (such as bilirubin in jaundice and bile acids) in blood and premature death of liver cells. One of the major determinants is the inability of the liver to properly regulate bile acid transport from blood to bile. Studies are conducted to better understand the mechanisms regulating bile acid transport. Specifically, studies are designed to determine the role of various kinases and phosphatases in the regulation of bile acid transport using primary hepatocytes, hepatic cell lines and transgenic mice. Techniques used are cell culture, transfection of cell lines, solute uptake, western blots, protein phosphorylation, Protein S-nitrosylation, etc.
Selected Research Projects
- Role of protein kinase Cs in the regulation of hepatic transporters.
- Mechanism of taurolithocholate-induced cholestasis.
- Role of protein S-nitrosylation in sepsis-induced cholestasis.
- Mechanisms of anticholestatic effects of cAMP and tauroursodeoxycholate.
Research and Clinical Interests
- Hepatic diseases
Research Interests by Area
- Mechanism of bile formation and cholestasis
- NIH Short term research training for DVM students
Major Specialized Equipment
- Fluorescent spectrophotometers
- UV-VIS spectrophotometers
- Scintillation Counter
- Gel-Electrophoresis (1D & 2D) apparatus
- Film developer
- Cell culture facility
- Fluroescence microscope
- Holly Jameson, Sr. Research Coordinator
- Ariel Hobson, Research Technician
- Umadevi Ramasamy, Research Technician
- Sewon Park, Graduate Student
- Christopher Schonhoff, Ph.D., Research Assistant Professor