- Surgical Residency - Tufts University/Angell Memorial Animal Hospital - 1999-2002
- DVM - Tufts University - 1993
- BS - University of Massachusetts at Amherst (Summa Cum Laude) - 1989
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Kunkel KA, Suber JT, Gerard PD, Kowaleski MP. Effect of pilot hole diameter and tapping on insertion torque and axial pullout strength of 4.0-mm cancellous bone screws. Am J Vet Res. 2011 Dec;72(12):1660-5.
- Weh JL, Kowaleski MP, Boudrieau RJ. Combination tibial plateau leveling osteotomy and transverse corrective osteotomy of the proximal tibia for the treatment of complex tibial deformities in 12 dogs. Vet Surg. 2011 Aug;40(6):670-86.
- Aktay SA, Kowaleski MP. Analysis of suture anchor eyelet position on suture failure load. Vet Surg. 2011 Jun;40(4):418-22.
- Hoffmann DE, Kowaleski MP, Johnson KA, Evans RB, Boudrieau RJ. Ex vivo biomechanical evaluation of the canine cranial cruciate ligament-deficient stifle with varying angles of stifle joint flexion and axial loads after tibial tuberosity advancement. Vet Surg. 2011 Apr;40(3):311-20.
- Blake CA, Boudrieau RJ, Torrance BS, Tacvorian EK, Cabassu JB, Gaudette GR, Kowaleski MP. Single cycle to failure in bending of three standard and five locking plates and plate constructs. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol.2011;24(6):408-17.
- Cabassu JB, Kowaleski MP, Shorinko JK, Blake CA, Gaudette GR, Boudrieau RJ. Single cycle to failure in torsion of three standard and five locking plate constructs. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2011;24(6):418-25.
- Yeadon R, Fitzpatrick N, Kowaleski MP. Tibial tuberosity transposition-advancement for treatment of medial patellar luxation and concomitant cranial cruciate ligament disease in the dog. Surgical technique, radiographic and clinical outcomes. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2011;24(1):18-26.
- Apelt D, Pozzi A, Marcellin-Little DJ, Kowaleski MP. Effect of cranial tibial closing wedge angle on tibial subluxation: An ex vivo study. Vet Surg. 2010 Jun;39(4):454-9.
- Samii VF, Dyce J, Pozzi A, Drost WT, Mattoon JS, Green EM, Kowaleski MP, and Lehman AM: Computed Tomographic Arthrography of the Stifle for Detection of Cranial and Caudal Cruciate Ligament and Meniscal Tears in Dogs. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2009; 50(2):144-150.
- Kloc PA, Kowaleski MP, Litsky AS, Brown NO, and Johnson KA: Biomechanical Comparison of Two Alternative Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy Plates Against the Original Standard in an Axially Loaded Gap Model: an In Vitro Study. Vet Surg 2009; 38(1):40-48.
- Kim SE, Pozzi A, Kowaleski MP, and Lewis, DD: Tibial Osteotomies for Cranial Cruciate Ligament Insufficiency in Dogs. Vet Surg 2008; 37(2):111-125.
General Research Interests
- Clinical orthopedics, with a focus on total joint replacement
- Fracture healing
- Implant design
- Biomechanics and the role of osteotomy in the treatment of joint disease
Selected Research Projects
- Biomechanical evaluation of TPLO and TTA
- Initial stability of BFX™ cementless total hip replacment
- Radiological assessment of limb alignment
- Experimental evaluation of locking plate fixation
- Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
- Principles of Surgery - Course Director
- Spay Lab
- Orthopedic Surgery - Clinical Rotation
- Orthopedic Elective
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Osteoarthritis of the elbow, stifle and hip, cruciate ligament repair in dogs, total hip replacement, platelet-rich plasma applications, developmental orthopedic disease
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Bone and Tissue Repair and Regeneration
- Biomechanics and the role of osteotomy in the treatment of joint disease, novel therapies for osteoarthritis. Orthopedic surgery research; spontaneous animal disease models for evaluating response to osteoarthritis treatments, fracture repair and implants, implant design, strength and application
Major Specialized Equipment
- Instron Model 8511 servohydraulic materials testing device
- Toshiba Acquilion 16 slice CT
- Siemens Symphony 1.5 Tesla MRI
- Digital high-resolution gamma camera (IS2 NuCamma Enhanced Technologies, Dallas/Fort Worth, TX)
- AMTI dual platform force plate gait analysis system
- Comprehensive surgical facilities
- Media center
- Clinical pathology and pathology facilities complement the environment
House Officer Training
- Rotating Internship
- ACVS Resident
- ECVS Resident