- Surgical Residency - Tufts University/Angell Memorial Animal Hospital - 1999-2002
- DVM - Tufts University - 1993
- BS - University of Massachusetts at Amherst (Summa Cum Laude) - 1989
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Rohner, D., Kowaleski, M.P., Schwarz, G., Forterre, F. 2019. Short-Term Clinical and Radiographical Outcome after Application of Anchored Intervertebral Spacers in Dogs with Disc-Associated Cervical Spondylomyelopathy. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- von Pfeil, D.J.F., Kowaleski, M.P., Glassman, M., Dejardin, L.M. 2018. Results of a survey of veterinary orthopedic society members on the preferred method for treating cranial cruciate ligament rupture in dogs weighing more than 15 kilograms (33 pounds). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Mostafa, A.A., Cunningham, D.P., Boudrieau, R.J., Kowaleski, M.P., Griffon, D.J. 2018. Influence of radiographic techniques on the measurement of femoral anteversion angles and a conformation score of pelvic limbs in Labrador retrievers. Veterinary Surgery.
- Birks, R.R., Kowaleski, M.P. 2018. Combined Tibial Plateau Levelling Osteotomy and Tibial Tuberosity Transposition: An Ex Vivo Mechanical Study. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- von Pfeil, D.J.F., Glassman, M., Kowaleski, M.P., Dejardin, L.M. 2018. The authors respond. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Tamburro, R., Petazzoni, M., Carli, F., Kowaleski, M.P. 2018. Comparison of Rotation Force to Maintain Acetabular Ventroversion after Double Pelvic Osteotomy and 25 Pelvic Osteotomy in a Canine Cadaveric Model. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Kowaleski, M.P. 2017. Treatment of Excessive Tibial Plateau Angle. Advances in the Canine Cranial Cruciate Ligament: Second Edition.
- DiVincenzo, M.J., Frydman, G.H., Kowaleski, M.P., Vanderburg, C.R., Lai, B., Oura, T.J., Jennings, S.H. 2017. Metallosis in a Dog as a Long-Term Complication Following Total Hip Arthroplasty. Veterinary Pathology.
- Brower, B.E., Kowaleski, M.P., Peruski, A.M., Pozzi, A., Dyce, J., Johnson, K.A., Boudrieau, R.J. 2017. Distal femoral lateral closing wedge osteotomy as a component of comprehensive treatment of medial patellar luxation and distal femoral varus in dogs. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Mariano, A.D., Kowaleski, M.P., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Novel TPLO alignment jig/saw guide reproduces freehand and ideal osteotomy positions. PLoS ONE.
- Nesser, V.E., Kowaleski, M.P., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Severe Polyethylene Wear Requiring Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty in Three Dogs. Veterinary Surgery.
- Ficklin, M.G., Kowaleski, M.P., Kunkel, K.A.R., Suber, J.T. 2016. One-stage revision of an infected cementless total hip replacement. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Singh, H., Kowaleski, M.P., McCarthy, R.J., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. A comparative study of the dorsolateral and ventrolateral approaches for repair of canine sacroiliac luxation. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Leonard, K.C., Kowaleski, M.P., Saunders, W.B., McCarthy, R.J., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Combined tibial plateau levelling osteotomy and tibial tuberosity transposition for treatment of cranial cruciate ligament insufficiency with concomitant medial patellar luxation. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Ficklin, M.G., Kunkel, K.A.R., Suber, J.T., Gerard, P.D., Kowaleski, M.P. 2016. Biomechanical evaluation of polymethyl methacrylate with the addition of various doses of cefazolin, vancomycin, gentamicin, and silver microparticles. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Gibert, S., Kowaleski, M.P., Matthys, R., Nützi, R., Serck, B., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Biomechanical comparison of pin and tension-band wire fixation with a prototype locking plate fixation in a transverse canine patellar fracture model. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Becker, W., Kowaleski, M.P., McCarthy, R.J., Blake, C.A. 2015. Extracorporeal shockwave therapy for shoulder lameness in dogs. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Farrell, M., Heller, J., Solano, M., Fitzpatrick, N., Sparrow, T., Kowaleski, M. 2014. Does Radiographic Arthrosis Correlate With Cartilage Pathology in Labrador Retrievers Affected by Medial Coronoid Process Disease?. Veterinary Surgery.
- Abuja, G.A., Kowaleski, M.P., García-López, J.M. 2014. Management of bilateral patellar luxation in an Alpaca. Veterinary Surgery.
- Kowaleski, M.P., Boudrieau, R.J., Beale, B.S., Piras, A., Hulse, D., Johnson, K.A. 2013. Radiographic outcome and complications of tibial plateau leveling osteotomy stabilized with an anatomically contoured locking bone plate. Veterinary Surgery.
General Research Interests
- Clinical orthopedics, with a focus on total joint replacement
- Fracture healing
- Implant design
- Biomechanics and the role of osteotomy in the treatment of joint disease
Selected Research Projects
- Biomechanical evaluation of TPLO and TTA
- Initial stability of BFX™ cementless total hip replacment
- Radiological assessment of limb alignment
- Experimental evaluation of locking plate fixation
Research and Clinical Interests
- Total joint replacement
- Fracture healing
- Implant design
- Cruciate ligament disease
- Gait analysis
- Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
- Principles of Surgery - Course Director
- Spay Lab
- Orthopedic Surgery - Clinical Rotation
- Orthopedic Elective
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Osteoarthritis of the elbow, stifle and hip, cruciate ligament repair in dogs, total hip replacement, platelet-rich plasma applications, developmental orthopedic disease
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Bone and Tissue Repair and Regeneration
- Biomechanics and the role of osteotomy in the treatment of joint disease, novel therapies for osteoarthritis. Orthopedic surgery research; spontaneous animal disease models for evaluating response to osteoarthritis treatments, fracture repair and implants, implant design, strength and application
Major Specialized Equipment
- Instron Model 8511 servohydraulic materials testing device
- Toshiba Acquilion 16 slice CT
- Siemens Symphony 1.5 Tesla MRI
- Digital high-resolution gamma camera (IS2 NuCamma Enhanced Technologies, Dallas/Fort Worth, TX)
- AMTI dual platform force plate gait analysis system
- Comprehensive surgical facilities
- Media center
- Clinical pathology and pathology facilities complement the environment
House Officer Training
- Rotating Internship
- ACVS Resident
- ECVS Resident