- PhD - Tufts University (2013)
- MA - Tufts University (2010)
- BA - Tufts University (2008)
- Ballou, M.E., Mueller, M.K., Dowling-Guyer, S. 2020. Aging Equines: Understanding the Experience of Caring for a Geriatric Horse with a Chronic Condition. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science.
- Wayne, A.S., Mueller, M.K., Rosenbaum, M. 2020. Perceptions of Maternal Discrimination and Pregnancy/Postpartum Experiences Among Veterinary Mothers. Frontiers in Veterinary Science.
- Spitznagel, M.B., Mueller, M.K., Fraychak, T., Hoffman, A.M., Carlson, M.D. 2019. Validation of an abbreviated instrument to assess veterinary client caregiver burden. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Gee, N.R., Mueller, M.K. 2019. A Systematic Review of Research on Pet Ownership and Animal Interactions among Older Adults. Anthrozoos.
- Bures, R., Mueller, M.K., Gee, N. 2019. Measuring human-animal attachment in a large U.S. survey: Two brief measures for children and their primary caregivers. Frontiers in Public Health.
- Flynn, E., Zoller, A.G., Mueller, M.K., Morris, K.N. 2019. Human-animal-environment interactions as a context for child and adolescent growth. Journal of Youth Development.
- Molter, B., Wayne, A., Mueller, M.K., Gibeley, M., Rosenbaum, M.H. 2019. Current policies and support services for pregnant and parenting veterinary medical students and house officers at United Statesveterinary medical training institutions. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Fejfar, L.M., Rozanski, E.A., Mueller, M.K. 2018. Owner-witnessed cardiopulmonary resuscitation in small animal emergency veterinary medicine. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Mueller, M.K., Chubb, S., Wolfus, G., McCobb, E. 2018. Assessment of canine health and preventative care outcomes of a community medicine program. Preventive Veterinary Medicine.
- Mueller, M.K., Sween, C., Frank, N., Paradis, M.R. 2018. Survey of human-horse relationships and veterinary care for geriatric horses. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Linder, D.E., Mueller, M.K., Gibbs, D.M., Alper, J.A., Freeman, L.M. 2018. Effects of an Animal-Assisted Intervention on Reading Skills and Attitudes in Second Grade Students. Early Childhood Education Journal.
- Mueller, M.K., Gee, N.R., Bures, R.M. 2018. Human-animal interaction as a social determinant of health: Descriptive findings from the health and retirement study. BMC Public Health.
- Rosenbaum, M.H., Wayne, A.S., Molter, B.L., Mueller, M.K. 2018. Perceptions of support and policies regarding pregnancy, parenting, and family planning during veterinary training at United States veterinary medical training institutions. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Haggerty, J.M., Mueller, M.K. 2017. Animal-assisted Stress Reduction Programs in Higher Education. Innovative Higher Education.
- LaVallee, E., Mueller, M.K., McCobb, E. 2017. A Systematic Review of the Literature Addressing Veterinary Care for Underserved Communities. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science.
- Gee, N.R., Mueller, M.K., Curl, A.L. 2017. Humanâanimal interaction and older adults: An overview. Frontiers in Psychology.
- Linder, D.E., Siebens, H.C., Mueller, M.K., Gibbs, D.M., Freeman, L.M. 2017. Animal-assisted interventions: A national survey of health and safety policies in hospitals, eldercare facilities, and therapy animal organizations. American Journal of Infection Control.
- Linder, D.E., Mueller, M.K., Debra, G., Siebens, H.C., Freeman, L.M. 2017. The role of veterinary education in safety policies for animal-Assisted therapy and activities in hospitals and nursing homes. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Mueller, M.K., Lerner, R.M. 2017. Introduction to Applied Developmental Science spotlight series: Animal assisted interventions in special populations. Applied Developmental Science.
- Mueller, M.K., McCullough, L. 2017. Effects of Equine-Facilitated Psychotherapy on Post-Traumatic Stress Symptoms in Youth. Journal of Child and Family Studies.
General Research Interests
- Human-animal interaction (HAI)
- Positive youth development
- Human-animal interaction and public policy
Selected Research Projects
- The role of companion animals in military families in promoting health and positive development
Research and Clinical Interests
- Evidence-based practice in human-animal interaction (HAI)
- HAI in promoting mental and physical health
- Empirical evaluation of HAI-based programs and interventions
- Human-Animal Interaction
- Research Methods
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Human Animal Interaction (HAI)
- Child development, human-animal interactions in military families
- International Society for Anthrozoology
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for Research in Adolescence
- Society for the Study of Human Development