- PhD - Tufts University (2013)
- MA - Tufts University (2010)
- BA - Tufts University (2008)
- Mueller, M.K., Gee, N.R., Bures, R.M. 2018. Human-animal interaction as a social determinant of health: Descriptive findings from the health and retirement study. BMC Public Health.
- Haggerty, J.M., Mueller, M.K. 2017. Animal-assisted Stress Reduction Programs in Higher Education. Innovative Higher Education.
- LaVallee, E., Mueller, M.K., McCobb, E. 2017. A Systematic Review of the Literature Addressing Veterinary Care for Underserved Communities. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science.
- Gee, N.R., Mueller, M.K., Curl, A.L. 2017. Humanâanimal interaction and older adults: An overview. Frontiers in Psychology.
- Linder, D.E., Siebens, H.C., Mueller, M.K., Gibbs, D.M., Freeman, L.M. 2017. Animal-assisted interventions: A national survey of health and safety policies in hospitals, eldercare facilities, and therapy animal organizations. American Journal of Infection Control.
- Linder, D.E., Mueller, M.K., Debra, G., Siebens, H.C., Freeman, L.M. 2017. The role of veterinary education in safety policies for animal-Assisted therapy and activities in hospitals and nursing homes. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Linder, D.E., Mueller, M.K., Gibbs, D.M., Alper, J.A., Freeman, L.M. 2017. Effects of an Animal-Assisted Intervention on Reading Skills and Attitudes in Second Grade Students. Early Childhood Education Journal.
- Mueller, M.K., Lerner, R.M. 2017. Introduction to Applied Developmental Science spotlight series: Animal assisted interventions in special populations. Applied Developmental Science.
- Mueller, M.K., McCullough, L. 2017. Effects of Equine-Facilitated Psychotherapy on Post-Traumatic Stress Symptoms in Youth. Journal of Child and Family Studies.
- McKinney, C., Mueller, M.K., Frank, N. 2015. Effects of Therapeutic Riding on Measures of Stress in Horses. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science.
- Geldhof, G.J., Bowers, E.P., Boyd, M.J., Mueller, M.K., Napolitano, C.M., Schmid, K.L., Lerner, J.V., Lerner, R.M. 2014. Creation of short and very short measures of the five Cs of positive youth development. Journal of Research on Adolescence.
- Mueller, M.K. 2014. The relationship between types of humanâanimal interaction and attitudes about animals: An exploratory study. Anthrozoos.
- Mueller, M.K. 2014. Is Human-Animal Interaction (HAI) Linked to Positive Youth Development? Initial Answers. Applied Developmental Science.
- Mueller, M.K. 2014. Human-animal interaction as a context for positive youth development: A relational developmental systems approach to constructing human-animal interaction theory and research. Human Development.
- Mueller, M.K., Callina, K.S. 2014. HumanâAnimal Interaction as a Context for Thriving and Coping in Military-Connected Youth: The Role of Pets During Deployment. Applied Developmental Science.
- Linder, D., Mueller, M. 2014. Pet obesity management: Beyond nutrition. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Small Animal Practice.
- Geldhof, G.J., Weiner, M., Agans, J.P., Mueller, M.K., Lerner, R.M. 2014. Understanding Entrepreneurial Intent in Late Adolescence: The Role of Intentional Self-Regulation and Innovation. Journal of Youth and Adolescence.
- Geldhof, G.J., Bowers, E.P., Mueller, M.K., Napolitano, C.M., Callina, K.S., Lerner, R.M. 2014. Longitudinal Analysis of a Very Short Measure of Positive Youth Development. Journal of Youth and Adolescence.
- Agans, J.P., Champine, R.B., DeSouza, L.M., Mueller, M.K., Johnson, S.K., Lerner, R.M. 2014. Activity Involvement as an Ecological Asset: Profiles of Participation and Youth Outcomes. Journal of Youth and Adolescence.
- Geldhof, G.J., Porter, T., Weiner, M.B., Malin, H., Bronk, K.C., Agans, J.P., Mueller, M., Damon, W., Lerner, R.M. 2014. Fostering youth entrepreneurship: Preliminary findings from the young entrepreneurs study. Journal of Research on Adolescence.
General Research Interests
- Human-animal interaction (HAI)
- Positive youth development
- Human-animal interaction and public policy
Selected Research Projects
- The role of companion animals in military families in promoting health and positive development
Research and Clinical Interests
- Evidence-based practice in human-animal interaction (HAI)
- HAI in promoting mental and physical health
- Empirical evaluation of HAI-based programs and interventions
- Human-Animal Interaction
- Research Methods
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Human Animal Interaction (HAI)
- Child development, human-animal interactions in military families
- International Society for Anthrozoology
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for Research in Adolescence
- Society for the Study of Human Development