- Residency in Zoo & Wildlife Medicine - 1985 - 1988
- DVM - Tufts University - 1984
- BS - Cornell Universtiy - 1971
- Pokras, MA and MR Kneeland. 2009. Understanding Lead Uptake and Effects across Species Lines: A Conservation Medicine Based Approach. InRT Watson, M Fuller, M Pokras, and WG Hunt, (eds.). Ingestion of lead from spent ammunition: Implications for wildlife and humans. The Peregrine Fund, Boise, Idaho, USA. ISBN: 0961983957.
- Fiorello, CV, Nisbet, ICT, Hatch, JJ, Corsiglia, C and MA Pokras. 2009. Hematology and absence of hemoparasites in breeding common terns from Cape Cod, Massachusetts. J. Zoo and Wildlife Med. 40(3): 409-413.
- Pokras, MA and MR Kneeland. 2008. Lead poisoning: using transdisciplinary approaches to solve an ancient problem. EcoHealth. 5(3): 379-385.
- Bogomolni A, Ellis J, Gast B, Harris R, Pokras M, Touhey K, Moore M. 2006. Emerging zoonoses in marine mammals and seabirds of the northeast U.S. Oceans '06 MTS/IEEE-Boston, Massachusetts. ISBN: 1-4244-0115-1.: 9pp
- Haefele, HJ, Sidor, I, Evers, DC, Hoyt, DE and MA Pokras. 2005. Hematologic and physiologic reference ranges for free-living adult and young common loons. J. Zoo and Wildlife Med. 36:385-390.
- Pierce, KE, Harris, RJ, Larned, LS and MA Pokras. 2004. Obstruction and starvation associated with plastic ingestion in a northern gannet (Sula bassanus) and a greater shearwater (Puffinus gravis). Marine Ornith. 32:185-187.
- Sidor,IF, Pokras, MA, Major, AR, Poppenga, R, and RM Miconi. 2003. Mortality of the common loon in New England, 1988 to 1999. J. of Wildlife Disease. 39(2):306-315.
- Modrall, J.D., Wheeler, T., Pokras, M. and L. M. Romero. 2001. The impact of veterinary administration of antibiotics on the bacterial ecology of wild bird populations. American Zoologist. 41(6): 1528- 1529.
- Pokras, MA, Tabor, G, Pearl,M, Sherman, D, and P Epstein. 2000. Conservation medicine: an emerging field. In: Nature and human society: the quest for a sustainable world. National Academy Press. Washington, DC. pp: 551-556.
- Burger, J. Pokras, M.A. Chafel, R. and M. Gochfeld. 1994. Heavy metal concentrations in feathers of common loons Gavia immer in the Northeastern United States and age differences in mercury levels. Envir.Monit. and Assessment 30:1-7.
- Pokras,M.A., Zeman, A, Kirkwood,J. and C.J.Sedgwick. 1993. An introduction to allometric scaling and its uses in raptor medicine. In Redig, PT et al.(eds).Raptor biomedicine. Univ. of Minnesota Press. pp: 211-224.
General Research Interests
- Functional and surgical anatomy of birds and reptiles.
- Environmental pathology (including toxicology) of wildlife species.
- Captive management of aquatic reptiles, birds and mammals.
- Allometric scaling as a tool for understanding comparative clinical medicine.
- Development of minimally invasive field techniques for wildlife health studies.
Selected Research Projects
- Lead (Pb) toxicosis in wildlife and public health.
- Seanet -- threats to aquatic birds.
- WebAtlas of Wildlife Anatomy & Pathology.
- Surveys of vernal pools and other campus resources.
- Presence of antibiotic resistant organisms in native wildlife.
Research Interests by Area
International, Wildlife and Conservation Medicine
- SEANET; Loons; Environmental Contaminants
Other campus activities
- Sponsor a variety of student projects & selectives.
- Host “Open Mike” nights on campus.
- Advise student WAZE group (Wildlife, Aquatics, Zoo & Exotics).
- Lead campus & regional nature walks.