My primary research training is in animal models of cardiovascular disease, however I have expanded that to a general interest in toxicologic and medical device related clinical pathology. Specifically, recent areas of interest include the effects of radiation and chemotherapy on the cardiovascular system. Clinically, I am interested in novel approaches in coagulation testing and optimization of other laboratory diagnostic modalities in veterinary species.
- Ph.D – The Ohio State University, 1998
- D.V.M – The Ohio State University, 1993
- B.S. with Honors – University of Michigan, 1987
- Caswell, J.L., Bassel, L.L., Rothenburger, J.L., Gröne, A., Sargeant, J.M., Beck, A.P., Ekman, S., Gibson-Corley, K.N., Kuiken, T., LaDouceur, E.E.B., Meyerholz, D.K., Origgi, F.C., Posthaus, H., Priestnall, S.L., Ressel, L., Sharkey, L., Teixeira, L.B.C., Uchida, K., Ward, J.M., Webster, J.D., Yamate, J. 2018. Observational Study Design in Veterinary Pathology, Part 1: Study Design. Veterinary Pathology.
- Sharkey, L.C., Little, K.J., Williams, K.D., Todd, J.M., Richardson, R., Gwynn, A.D., Rendahl, A. 2018. Performance characteristics of the turbidimetric ACL-TOP CTS 300 coagulation analyzer in dogs and cats. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- McAloney, C.A., Sharkey, L.C., Feeney, D.A., Seelig, D.M. 2018. Diagnostic utility of renal fine-needle aspirate cytology and ultrasound in the cat. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Carlson, A., Alderete, K.S., Grant, M.K.O., Seelig, D.M., Sharkey, L.C., Zordoky, B.N.M. 2018. Anticancer effects of resveratrol in canine hemangiosarcoma cell lines. Veterinary and Comparative Oncology.
- McAloney, C.A., Sharkey, L.C., Feeney, D.A., Seelig, D.M., Avery, A.C., Jessen, C.R. 2018. Evaluation of the diagnostic utility of cytologic examination of renal fine-needle aspirates from dogs and the use of ultrasonographic features to inform cytologic diagnosis. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Kim, J.H., Frantz, A.M., Anderson, K.L., Graef, A.J., Scott, M.C., Robinson, S., Sharkey, L.C., O'Brien, T.D., Dickerson, E.B., Modiano, J.F. 2018. Corrigendum to: âInterleukin-8 promotes canine hemangiosarcoma growth by regulating the tumor microenvironmentâ [Exp. Cell. Res. 2014 15 323(1) 155â64]. Experimental Cell Research.
- Gwynn, A.D., Sharkey, L., Gerhold, R., Holland, A., Isaac, E.J., Michalski, S., Teigen, L. 2017. What is your diagnosis? Blood film from a Black bear (Ursus americanus). Veterinary Clinical Pathology.
- Llewellyn, E.A., Todd, J.M., Sharkey, L.C., Rendahl, A. 2017. A pilot study evaluating the prognostic utility of platelet indices in dogs with septic peritonitis. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Hui, S., Takahashi, Y., Holtan, S.G., Azimi, R., Seelig, D., Yagi, M., Ingvalson, J., Alaei, P., Sharkey, L., Kodal, B., Peterson, N., Meyer, C., Godin, L., Ehrhardt, M., Storme, G., Zhou, D., Panoskaltsis-Mortari, A. 2017. Early assessment of dosimetric and biological differences of total marrow irradiation versus total body irradiation in rodents. Radiotherapy and Oncology.
- Devine, L., Armstrong, P.J., Whittemore, J.C., Sharkey, L., Bailiff, N., Huang, A., Rishniw, M. 2017. Presumed primary immune-mediated neutropenia in 35 dogs: a retrospective study. Journal of Small Animal Practice.
- Sample, K., Johnson, R., Sharkey, L., Walz, E., Flynn, K., Minicucci, L. 2017. Student-run free clinics: Providing more than care. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Schappa, J.T., Foutz, C.A., Olson, E.J., Armien, A.G., Ward, C., Sharkey, L.C. 2017. What is your diagnosis? Bicavitary effusion in a horse. Veterinary Clinical Pathology.
- Grant, M.K.O., Seelig, D.M., Sharkey, L.C., Zordoky, B.N. 2017. Sex-dependent alteration of cardiac cytochrome P450 gene expression by doxorubicin in C57Bl/6 mice. Biology of Sex Differences.
- Gorman, L., Sharkey, L.C., Armstrong, P.J., Little, K., Rendahl, A. 2016. Serum Beta Hydroxybutyrate Concentrations in Cats with Chronic Kidney Disease, Hyperthyroidism, or Hepatic Lipidosis. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Wilke, C., Holtan, S.G., Sharkey, L., Defor, T., Arora, M., Premakanthan, P., Yohe, S., Vagge, S., Zhou, D., Holter Chakrabarty, J.L., Mahe, M., Corvo, R., Dusenbery, K., Storme, G., Weisdorf, D.J., Verneris, M.R., Hui, S. 2016. Marrow damage and hematopoietic recovery following allogeneic bone marrow transplantation for acute leukemias: Effect of radiation dose and conditioning regimen. Radiotherapy and Oncology.
- Sharkey, L.C., Wellman, M.L. 2015. Use of Lactate in Small Animal Clinical Practice. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine.
- Cordner, A.P., Sharkey, L.C., Armstrong, P.J., McAteer, K.D. 2015. Cytologic findings and diagnostic yield in 92 dogs undergoing fine-needle aspiration of the pancreas. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation.
- Crain, S.K., Sharkey, L.C., Cordner, A.P., Knudson, C., Armstrong, P.J. 2015. Safety of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of the feline pancreas: a case-control study. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Hegstad-Davies, R.L., Torres, S.M.F., Sharkey, L.C., Gresch, S.C., Muñoz-Zanzi, C.A., Davies, P.R. 2015. Breed-specific reference intervals for assessing thyroid function in seven dog breeds. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation.
- Kim, J.-H., Frantz, A.M., Anderson, K.L., Graef, A.J., Scott, M.C., Robinson, S., Sharkey, L.C., O'Brien, T.D., Dickerson, E.B., Modiano, J.F. 2014. Interleukin-8 promotes canine hemangiosarcoma growth by regulating the tumor microenvironment. Experimental Cell Research.
General Research Interests
- Validation and diagnostic performance of clinical laboratory testing
- Chronic complications of cancer treatment in animal models
Selected Research Projects
- Validation and diagnostic performance characteristics of turbidometric clot waveform analysis in veterinary coagulation (canine, feline, avian)
- Anticancer effects of resveratrol in canine hemangiosarcoma cell lines
- Cytologic and ultrasound evaluation of canine kidney disease
- Cytologic findings and diagnostic yield in 92 dogs undergoing fine needle aspiration of the pancreas
- Sex-dependent alteration of cardiac cytochrome P450 gene expression by acute doxorubicin toxicity in C57Bl/6 mice
- The interplay between genetic background and sexual dimorphism of doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity
- Platelet count and plateletcrit in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Greyhounds using the Advia 120/2120
- A pilot study evaluating the prognostic utility of platelet indices in dogs with septic peritonitis
Research and Clinical Interests
- Validation and optimization of laboratory testing
- Clinical pathology of domestic and laboratory animal species
- Animal models of human disease
- Toxicologic pathology
- Clinical pathology
- Basic pathology
- Community medicine