Dr. Kirstin Bubeck earned her veterinary degree from the University of Hannover, Germany in 1997. Following, she worked at the university’s Equine Hospital as a staff veterinarian and completed a postgraduate degree in 2001 with the title: Pulmonary Wedge Pressure in Healthy Warmblooded Horses and Warmbloods with Mitral Valve Insufficiency During Standardized Treadmill Exercise.
She came to Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University to pursue further training in large animal surgery and successfully completed her large animal surgery residency in 2009. Dr. Bubeck worked at the Tufts Hospital for Large Animals as an emergency clinician and surgeon, and as a clinical instructor for equine surgery and lameness at the University of Montreal. In addition she worked as a staff surgeon at the Equine Clinic in Kaufungen, Germany.
She returned to Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine as a Clinical Assistant Professor for Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery in June 2014. She has a strong interest in orthopedic and respiratory surgery as well as lameness evaluation and diagnostic ultrasound.
Dr. Bubeck is a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons 2011, and a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation 2013.
- Diplomate American College of Veterinary Surgery (Large Animal)
- Diplomate American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation (Equine)
- Bubeck, K.A., Aarsvold, S. 2018. Diagnosis of Soft Tissue Injury in the Sport Horse. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Equine Practice.
- Bergren, A.L., Abuja, G.A., Bubeck, K.A., Spoormakers, T.J.P., García-López, J.M. 2018. Diagnosis, treatment and outcome of cranial nuchal bursitis in 30 horses. Equine Veterinary Journal.
- Mazan, M.R., Kay, G., Souhail, M.L., Bubeck, K., Jenei, T., Merriam, J. 2017. Patients without borders: Using telehealth to provide an international experience in veterinary global health for veterinary students. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Da Silveira, E.A., Bubeck, K.A., Batista, E.R., Piat, P., Laverty, S., Beauchamp, G., Archambault, M., Elce, Y. 2016. Comparison of an alcohol-based hand rub and water-based chlorhexidine gluconate scrub technique for hand antisepsis prior to elective surgery in horses. Canadian Veterinary Journal.
- Olive, J., Lambert, N., Bubeck, K.A., Beauchamp, G., Laverty, S. 2014. Comparison between palpation and ultrasonography for evaluation of experimentally induced effusion in the distal interphalangeal joint of horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Abuja, G.A., Bubeck, K.A., Quinteros, D.D., García-López, J.M. 2013. Surgical treatment of distal tarsal joint luxations in three horses. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Quinteros, D.D., García-López, J.M., Abuja, G.A., Tarkanian, M., Maranda, L.S., Bubeck, K., Kowaleski, M.P. 2012. In vitro biomechanical evaluation and comparison of a new prototype locking plate and a limited-contact self compression plate for equine fracture repair. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- García-López, J.M., Jenei, T., Chope, K., Bubeck, K.A. 2010. Diagnosis and management of cranial and caudal nuchal bursitis in four horses. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Bubeck, K.A., García-Lopez, J.M., Jenei, T.M., Maranda, L.S. 2010. In vitro comparison of two centrally threaded, positive-profile transfixation pin designs for use in third metacarpal bones in horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Bubeck, K.A., García-López, J., Maranda, L.S. 2009. In vitro comparison of cortical bone temperature generation between traditional sequential drilling and a newly designed step drill in the equine third metacarpal bone. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Gehlen, H., Bubeck, K., Rohn, K., Stadler, P. 2008. Influence of valvular insufficiency and recurrent airway obstruction on haemodynamics and therapy in warmblood horses with atrial fibrillation. Research in Veterinary Science.
- Gehlen, H., Weichler, A., Bubeck, K., Ohnesorge, B., Deegen, E., Stadler, P. 2006. Effects of two different dosages of dobutamine on pulmonary artery wedge pressure, systemic arterial blood pressure and heart rate in anaesthetized horses. Journal of Veterinary Medicine Series A: Physiology Pathology Clinical Medicine.
- Gehlen, H., Bubeck, K., Rohn, K., Stadler, P. 2006. Pulmonary artery wedge pressure during treadmill exercise in warmblood horses with atrial fibrillation. Research in Veterinary Science.
- Bartmann, C.P., Schiemann, V., Bubeck, K. 2006. Laparoscopic adhesiolysis at the urogenital tract in horses | Laparoskopische adhÃ¤siolyse am urogenitaltrakt des pferdes. Pferdeheilkunde.
- Bubeck, K., Bartmann, C.P., Schiemann, V., Deegen, E. 2005. Anticoagulatory therapy of jugular vein thrombosis with phenprocoumon in the horse | Antikoagulatorische behandlung von thrombosen der vena jugularis externa mit phenprocoumon beim pferd. Pferdeheilkunde.
- Gehlen, H., Bubeck, K., Stadler, P. 2004. Pulmonary artery wedge pressure measurement in healthy warmblood horses and in warmblood horses with mitral valve insufficiencies of various degrees during standardised treadmill exercise. Research in Veterinary Science.
- Bubeck, K., Schiemann, V., Bartmann, C.P. 2003. Foreign body-induced injury in a pony | FremdkÃ¶rperbedingte verletzung bei einem pony. Tierarztliche Praxis Ausgabe G: Grosstiere - Nutztiere.
- Gehlen, H., Bubeck, K., Stadler, P. 2003. Pulmonary wedge pressure and heart frequency measurements for extension of left atrial function diagnostics during standardized treadmill exercise in warmblood horses | Lungenkapillardruck- und herzfrequenzmessungen unter standardisierter laufbandbelastung zur erweiterung der linksatrialen funktionsdiagnostik beim warmblutpferd. Deutsche Tierarztliche Wochenschrift.
- Bartmann, C.P., Bubeck, K., Georgiadis, S., Deegen, E. 2003. Reduction of complications of the wound healing following ventral median celiotomy in horses | Verbesserung der heilung der bauchwunde nach medianer laparotomie beim pferd. Pferdeheilkunde.
- Bartmann, C.P., Freeman, D.E., Glitz, F., von Oppen, T., Lorber, K.J., Bubeck, K., Klug, E., Deegen, E. 2002. Diagnosis and surgical management of colic in the foal: Literature review and a retrospective study. Clinical Techniques in Equine Practice.