- VMD - University of PA - 1984
- PhD - University of PA - 1987
- ACVP (Clinical Pathology Specialty)
- Mayer J, Knoll J, Wrubel K, Mitchell MA Characterizing the Hematologic and Plasma Chemistry Profiles of Captive Crested Geckos (Rhacodactylus ciliatus) Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery Volume 21, No. 2-3, 2011 pp.1-8.
- Gunn-Christie, R, Flatland, B, Friedrichs, KR, Szladovits, B, Harr, KE, Ruotsalo, K, Knoll, JS, Wamsley, HL, Freeman, KP. ASVCP quality assurance guidelines: control of preanalytical , analytical, and postanalytical factors for urinalysis, cytology, and clinical chemistry in veterinary laboratories. Vet Clin Pathol 41(1):18-26, 2012.
- Watson, AT, Penninck D, Knoll, JS, Keating JH, Sutherland-Smith J. Safety and correlation of test results of combined ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration and needle core biopsy of the canine spleen. Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound: 52(3):317-22, 2011.
- Lanaux, T, Rozanski, E, Simoni, R, Price, L, Buckley, G, Stockman, C, Knoll, J. 2011. Interpretation of canine and feline blood smears by emergency room personnel" Vet Clin Pathol 40(1):18-23
- Vaden SL, Knoll JS, Smith FWK, Tilley LP (eds). Blackwell’s Five-Minute Veterinary Consult: Lab Tests and Diagnostic Procedures, 2009 Wiley-Blackwell, Ames.
- Knoll, J.S., and S.L. Rowell. 1996. Clinical Hematology. In-Clinic Analysis, Quality Control, Reference Values, and System Selection. In: Vet Clinics of N.A., Sm An Prac 26:981-1001.
- Couetil, L., M.R. Paradis, J.S. Knoll. 1996. Adrenocorticotropin (ACTH) concentration in healthy horses and in horses with clinical signs of hyperadrenocorticism. J Vet Intern Med 10:1-6.
- Knoll, J.S., 2000. Clinical Automated Hematology Systems. In: Schalms Veterinary Hematology, 5th edition. Feldman, BF., Zinkl JG, and Jain, NC (eds). Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore.
- Mayer, J., Knoll, J., and Innis, C. 2005. Characterizing the hematologic and plasma chemistry profiles of captive Chinese water dragons (Physignathus cocininus). J Herp Med Surg 15:16-23.
- Shinohara, N., MacGregor, J.M., Calo, A., Rush, J.E., Penninck, D.G., Knoll, J.S. 2005. Presumptive, primary cardiac lymphoma in a cat causing pericardial effusion. J. Vet. Cardiology 7:65-69.
General Research InterestsI am interested in veterinary hematology, cytology and clinical endocrinology. Previous investigations focused on clinical application and validation of diagnostic tests and/or instrumentation for use with veterinary specimens. I played a role in validation of an ACTH assay for diagnosis of hyperadrenocorticism in horses and ponies. I have also evaluated several automated hematology instruments and some automated hormone assays using a chemiluminescent based system. More recently I have been focused on development of innovative teaching techniques.
Major Specialized Equipment
- Cobas c501 (Roche)
- Advia 120 Hematology Analyzer
- Start4 Coagulation Analyzer
- Cheryl Stockman, Laboratory Supervisor
- Tammi Frank, Medical Technologist
- Ann Blasotto, Medical Technologist
- Beth Underwood, Medical Technologist
- Dianne Noyes, Medical Technologist
- Christine St. Cyr, Medical Technologist
Specialized Capabilities or Interests
- Hematology, Cytology, and Urinalysis
- Continuing Education (Laboratory and on-line courses)
- Veterinary Clinical Chemistry