- VMD - University of Pennsylvania - 1996
- BS - University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus - 1991
- Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Diplomate American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Bassage LH, García-López JM, Currid EM: Osteolytic lesions of the tuber calcanei in two horses. J Am Vet Med Assn 2000; 217(5): 710-716.
- García-López JM, Provost PJ, Rush JE, Zicker SC, Burmaster H, LM Freeman: Prevalence and prognostic importance of hypomagnesemia and hypocalcemia in horses that have colic surgery. Am J Vet Research 2001; 62(1): 7-12.
- García-López JM, Boudrieau RJ, Provost PJ: Surgical repair of coxofemoral luxation in a horse. J Am Vet Med Assn 2001; 219(9): 1254-1258.
- García-López JM, Kirker-Head CA: Occult Subchondral Osseous Cyst-like Lesions of the Equine Tarso-crural Joint. Vet Surg 2004; 33(5): 557-564.
- Jenei T, García-López JM, Provost PJ, Kirker-Head CA: Surgical Management of Small Intestinal Incarceration through the Gastrosplenic Ligament: 14 Cases (1994-2006). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2007; 231(8): 1221-1224.
General Research Interests
- Equine Orthopedics
- Equine Upper respiratory
- Equine Gastrointestinal Disease
Selected Research Projects
- In-Vitro Evaluation of Heat Generation, Pull-out Strength, and Microfractures for a New Positive Profile Self-Tapping Transfixation Pin for Use in the Equine Third Metacarpal Bone
- In-Vitro Comparison of Temperature Generation Between Traditional Sequential Drilling and a Newly Designed Step Drill in the Equine Third Metacarpal Bone
- In-Vitro Biomechanical Comparison of a New Locking Compression Plate (LCP) with a Limited Contact Dynamic Plate (LCDCP) for Use in the Equine Patient
Research Interests by Area
- Clinical application of stem cells for musculoskeletal disease.
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Fracture repair, tendon and ligament injury, stem cell treatment, developmental orthopedic disease, laminitis
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Bone and Tissue Repair and Regeneration
- Musculoskeletal, arthroscopy, stem cell treatments bone and tendon
Major Specialized Equipment
- Arthroscopy Equipment
- Laparoscopy Equipment
- Nd:YAG and CO2 Lasers
- Video Endoscopy
- High Definition Ultrasound
- High-Speed Treadmill Evaluation
- Extra-Corporeal Shockwave Therapy
- Digital High Resolution Gamma Camera
- Computed Radiography
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Computed Tomography (CT)