I am a faculty member at Tufts Veterinary School with a dual background in veterinary medicine and infectious diseases. I have extensive experience with animal model development, in vivo evaluation of candidate therapeutics against infectious and toxin-mediated disease and development of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs). I currently manage a Select Agent Facility that supports both in vivo and in vitro work with botulinum toxin (BoNT). My group has been responsible for establishment and conduct of both the mouse lethality and mouse/rat hindlimb paresis assays for multiple BoNT toxinotypes. We have used these assays extensively for evaluation of candidate biological and small-drug inhibitor molecules. Other models of infectious or toxin-mediated disease that I have utilized include: Murine models of cryptococcosis (intraperitoneal, intravenous, intrathecal, intratracheal); murine models of Shiga toxin activity; the EHEC gnotobiotic piglet model; the Clostridium difficile hamster model; and the murine thigh infection model for evaluation of candidate therapeutics against bacterial pathogens.
- PhD - Albert Einstein College of Medicine - 1992
- MS - Albert Einstein College of Medicine - 1991
- BA - Hamline University - 1989
- Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (DACVM)
- Houtsma, A., Bedenice, D., Pusterla, N., Pugliese, B., Mapes, S., Hoffman, A.M., Paxson, J., Rozanski, E., Mukherjee, J., Wigley, M., Mazan, M.R. 2015. Association between inflammatory airway disease of horses and exposure to respiratory viruses: A case control study. Multidisciplinary Respiratory Medicine.
- Sheoran, A.S., Dmitriev, I.P., Kashentseva, E.A., Cohen, O., Mukherjee, J., Debatis, M., Shearer, J., Tremblay, J.M., Beamer, G., Curiel, D.T., Shoemaker, C.B., Tzipori, S. 2015. Adenovirus vector expressing Stx1/Stx2-neutralizing agent protects piglets infected with Escherichia coli O157: H7 against fatal systemic intoxication. Infection and Immunity.
- Mukherjee, J., Dmitriev, I., Debatis, M., Tremblay, J.M., Beamer, G., Kashentseva, E.A., Curiel, D.T., Shoemaker, C.B. 2014. Prolonged prophylactic protection from botulism with a single adenovirus treatment promoting serum expression of a VHH-based antitoxin protein. PLoS ONE.
- Tremblay, J.M., Mukherjee, J., Leysath, C.E., Debatis, M., Ofori, K., Baldwin, K., Boucher, C., Peters, R., Beamer, G., Sheoran, A., Bedenice, D., Tzipori, S., Shoemaker, C.B. 2013. A single VHH-based toxin-neutralizing agent and an effector antibody protect mice against challenge with Shiga toxins 1 and 2.. Infection and immunity.
- Steele, J., Mukherjee, J., Parry, N., Tzipori, S. 2013. Antibody against TcdB, but not TcdA, prevents development of gastrointestinal and systemic clostridium difficile disease. Journal of Infectious Diseases.
- Mukherjee, J., McCann, C., Ofori, K., Hill, J., Baldwin, K., Shoemaker, C.B., Harrison, P., Tzipori, S. 2012. Sheep monoclonal antibodies prevent systemic effects of botulinum neurotoxin A1. Toxins.
- Sheoran, A., Jeong, K.-I., Mukherjee, J., Wiffin, A., Singh, P., Tzipori, S. 2012. Biodistribution and elimination kinetics of systemic Stx2 by the Stx2A and Stx2B subunit-specific human monoclonal antibodies in mice. BMC Immunology.
- Mukherjee, J., Tremblay, J.M., Leysath, C.E., Ofori, K., Baldwin, K., Feng, X., Bedenice, D., Webb, R.P., Wright, P.M., Smith, L.A., Tzipori, S., Shoemaker, C.B. 2012. A novel strategy for development of recombinant antitoxin therapeutics tested in a mouse botulism model. PLoS ONE.
- Mallick, E.M., Brady, M.J., Luperchio, S.A., Vanguri, V.K., Magoun, L., Liu, H., Sheppard, B.J., Mukherjee, J., Donohue-Rolfe, A., Tzipori, S., Leong, J.M., Schauer, D.B. 2012. Allele- and Tir-independent functions of intimin in diverse animal infection models. Frontiers in Microbiology.
- Brady, M.J., Radhakrishnan, P., Liu, H., Magoun, L., Murphy, K.C., Mukherjee, J., Donohue-Rolfe, A., Tzipori, S., Leong, J.M. 2011. Enhanced actin pedestal formation by enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7 adapted to the mammalian host. Frontiers in Microbiology.
- Sepulveda, J., Mukherjee, J., Tzipori, S., Simpson, L.L., Shoemaker, C.B. 2010. Efficient serum clearance of botulinum neurotoxin achieved using a pool of small antitoxin binding agents. Infection and Immunity.
- Acierno, M.J., Labato, M.A., Stern, L.C., Mukherjee, J., Jakowski, R.M., Ross, L.A. 2006. Serum concentrations of the third component of complement in healthy dogs and dogs with protein-losing nephropathy. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Sheoran, A.S., Chapman-Bonofiglio, S., Harvey, B.R., Mukherjee, J., Georgiou, G., Donohue-Rolfe, A., Tzipori, S. 2005. Human antibody against Shiga toxin 2 administered to piglets after the onset of diarrhea due to Escherichia coli O157:H7 prevents fatal systemic complications. Infection and Immunity.
- Mukherjee, J., Chios, K., Fishwild, D., Hudson, D., O'Donnell, S., Rich, S.M., Donohue-Rolfe, A., Tzipori, S. 2002. Production and characterization of protective human antibodies against Shiga toxin 1. Infection and Immunity.
- Rivera, J., Mukherjee, J., Weiss, L.M., Casadevall, A. 2002. Antibody efficacy in murine pulmonary Cryptococcus neoformans infection: A role for nitric oxide. Journal of Immunology.
- Mukherjee, J., Chios, K., Fishwild, D., Hudson, D., O'Donnell, S., Rich, S.M., Donohue-Rolfe, A., Tzipori, S. 2002. Human Stx2-specific monoclonal antibodies prevent systemic complications of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infection. Infection and Immunity.
- Cox, G.M., Mukherjee, J., Cole, G.T., Casadevall, A., Perfect, J.R. 2000. Urease as a virulence factor in experimental cryptococcosis. Infection and Immunity.
- Nussbaum, G., Anandasabapathy, S., Mukherjee, J., Fan, M., Casadevall, A., Scharff, M.D. 1999. Molecular and idiotypic analyses of the antibody response to Cryptococcus neoformans glucuronoxylomannan-protein conjugate vaccine in autoimmune and nonautoimmune mice. Infection and Immunity.
- Donohue-Rolfe, A., Kondova, I., Mukherjee, J., Chios, K., Hutto, D., Tzipori, S. 1999. Antibody-based protection of gnotobiotic piglets infected with Escherichia coli O157:H7 against systemic complications associated with Shiga toxin 2. Infection and Immunity.
- Mukherjee, J., Kozel, T.R., Casadevaii, A. 1998. Monoclonal antibodies reveal additional epitopes of serotype D Cryptococcus neoformans capsular glucuronoxylomannan that elicit protective antibodies. Journal of Immunology.
General Research InterestsDevelopment of immune-based methods for diagnosis, therapy, and prevention of infectious and toxin-mediated diseases of human, veterinary and/or zoonotic concern; animal model development; in vivo evaluation of candidate therapeutics; veterinary microbiology and parasitology.
Selected Research Projects
- Development and characterization of a mouse monoclonal antibody reagent panel for the guinea pig research model community.
- Adaptation of the mouse neutropenic thigh model assay for evaluation of candidate therapeutics against clinically relevant, highly antibiotic resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Acinetobacter baumannii, Enterococcus faecalis, Enterobacter aerogenes, Klebsiella pneumoniae.
- Development of protective sheep monoclonal antibodies against Botulinum Neurotoxin.
- Development of a mouse monoclonal antibody reagent panel against Botulinum Neurotoxin toxinotypes A1, A2, B, E.
- Characterization and evaluation of anti-Stx human monoclonal antibodies for the prevention of Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS).
- Identification of the structural components that define protective antibodies against Cryptococcus neoformans.
Research and Clinical Interests
- Animal Model Development
- In vivo Evaluation of Candidate Therapeutics
- Development of Antibody-Based Therapeutics
- Infection Control
Veterinary Medicine Curriculum:
Emerging & Exotic Diseases of Animals & Initial Accreditation Training
Conservation Medicine Curriculum:
Field & Laboratory Techniques
Infectious Diseases & Global Health (MS-IDGH) Curriculum:
Infectious Diseases of Humans and Animals I
Microbiology and Immunology Techniques
Infectious Diseases of Humans and Animals II
Research Interests by Area
Infectious Diseases: Prevention and Control
- Botulism antidotes and anti-toxins
- Karen Baldwin, Animal Specialist
- Courtney Boucher, Research Technician
- Kwasi Ofori, Research Assistant