- BVSc - Massey University, New Zealand - 2003
- Diagnostic Imaging Residency - Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University - 2004-2007
House Officer Training
- Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Radiology
- Imaging characteristics of intrathoracic histocyte sarcoma in dogs. Tsai S, Sutherland-Smith J, Burgess K, Ruthazer R, Sato A. Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound (in press).
- Bentley R, Faissler D, Sutherland-Smith J. Successful management of a phaeohyphomycotic intracranial fungal granuloma in a dog. JAVMA (in press).
- Magnetic resonance imaging apparent diffusion coefficients for histologically confirmed intracranial lesions in dogs. Sutherland-Smith J, King R, Faissler D, Ruthazer R, Sato A. Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound. 2011; 52(2):142-8.
- Academic radiology careers: What is academics all about? Mai W, Sutherland-Smith J. Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound. 2010; 51(3):239-45.
- Ultrasonographic intestinal hyperechoic mucosal striations in dogs are associated with lacteal dilation. Sutherland-Smith J, Penninck DG, Keating JH, Webster CR. Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound. 2007; 48(1):51-7.
General Research Interests
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Abdominal Ultrasound
- Director: 4th Year Clinical Radiology
Research Interests by Area
Other Areas of Research
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Use of diagnostic imaging for spontaneous animal disease: CT, MRI, nuclear scintigraphy