- PhD - London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine - 1986
- Dr. Widmer's Biosketch
General Research Interests
- Molecular biology of protozoan parasites
- Waterborne pathogens
- Analysis of bacterial microbiomes using 16S amplicon sequencing
Selected Research Projects
- Genetics of Cryptosporidium parvum.
- Cryptosporidium genome sequencing.
- Detection and genotyping of Cryptospordium oocysts and Giardia cysts in water.
- Analysis of complex microbial populations using high-throughput sequencing.
Research Interests by Area
Infectious Diseases: Prevention and Control
- Detection in and removal of Cryptosporidium from water; molecular markers of Giardia lamblia cyst infectivity
Infectious Diseases: Genetics and Genomics
- Comparative genomics of Cryptosporidium species