Dr. Felicia B. Nutter is a specialist wildlife veterinarian and epidemiologist. She has extensive conservation medicine field experience, both domestically and internationally, working at the interface of human, domestic and wild animal, and ecosystem health. Her research interests range from infectious disease ecology, to veterinary medical contributions to endangered species conservation, and the development of scientifically sound management options for feral cat populations. She previously worked as Regional Field Veterinarian for the Mountain Gorilla Veterinary Project in Rwanda, Uganda, and the Democratic Republic of Congo; as Staff Veterinarian at the Marine Mammal Center, Sausalito, CA; and as the founding Assistant Director of Veterinary International Programs at North Carolina State University.
Since 2009, Dr. Nutter has held leadership roles in the USAID – Emerging Pandemic Threats Program, focused on the development of curriculum and learning opportunities to support teaching and learning about One Health in multiple countries across Africa and Southeast Asia.
As Director of the International Veterinary Medicine (IVM) program at the Cummings School, she mentors veterinary students interested in exploring research and service projects, as well as clinical rotations, in other countries. The IVM program also provides the opportunity for highly-motivated students to earn a Post-graduate Certificate in IVM, which requires the completion of a summer research project. Many students go on to publish their research in peer-reviewed journals
- PhD – College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 2005
- DVM – The Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University, North Grafton, MA, 1993
- BA – Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1989
- Diplomate, American College of Zoological Medicine
- Krucik, D.D.R., Mangold, B., Puryear, W., Keogh, M., Bogomolni, A., Romano, T., Runstadler, J., Nutter, F. 2020. Serum biochemical and hematologic reference intervals for weanling northwest atlantic gray seals (Halichoerus Grypus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine.
- Miller, P.S., Boone, J.D., Briggs, J.R., Lawler, D.F., Levy, J.K., Nutter, F.B., Slater, M., Zawistowski, S. 2014. Simulating free-roaming cat population management options in open demographic environments. PLoS ONE.
- Travis, D.A., Chapman, D.W., Craft, M.E., Deen, J., Farnham, M.W., Garcia, C., Hueston, W.D., Kock, R., Mahero, M., Mugisha, L., Nzietchueng, S., Nutter, F.B., Olson, D., Pekol, A., Pelican, K.M., Robertson, C., Rwego, I.B. 2014. One Health: Lessons learned from East Africa. Microbiology Spectrum.
- Hurley-Sanders, J.L., Bowman, K.F., Wolfe, B.A., Nutter, F.B., Sladky, K.K., Stoskopf, M.K. 2012. Use of thermography and fluorescein angiography in the management of a chilean flamingo with avascular necrosis of the wing. Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery.
- Robbins, M.M., Gray, M., Fawcett, K.A., Nutter, F.B., Uwingeli, P., Mburanumwe, I., Kagoda, E., Basabose, A., Stoinski, T.S., Cranfield, M.R., Byamukama, J., Spelman, L.H., Robbins, A.M. 2011. Extreme conservation leads to recovery of the virunga mountain gorillas. PLoS ONE.
- Whittier, C.A., Milligan, L.A., Nutter, F.B., Cranfield, M.R., Power, M.L. 2011. Proximate composition of milk from free-ranging mountain gorillas (Gorilla beringei beringei). Zoo Biology.
- Harris, H.S., Facemire, P., Greig, D.J., Colegrove, K.M., Ylitalo, G.M., Yanagida, G.K., Nutter, F.B., Fleetwood, M., Gulland, F.M.D. 2011. Congenital neuroglial heterotopia in a neonatal harbor seal (Phoca vitulina richardsi ) with evidence of recent exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Journal of Wildlife Diseases.
- Gulland, F.M.D., Nutter, F.B., Dixon, K., Calambokidis, J., Schorr, G., Barlow, J., Rowles, T., Wilkin, S., Spradlin, T., Gage, L., Mulsow, J., Reichmuth, C., Moore, M., Smith, J., Folkens, P., Hanser, S.F., Jang, S., Baker, C.S. 2008. Health assessment, antibiotic treatment, and behavioral responses to herding efforts of a cow-calf pair of humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) in the Sacramento River Delta, California. Aquatic Mammals.
- Cranfield, M., Gaffikin, L., Minnis, R., Nutter, F., Rwego, I., Travis, D., Whittier, C. 2006. Clinical response decision tree for the mountain gorilla (Gorilla beringeii) as a model for great apes. American Journal of Primatology.
- Whittier, C., Nutter, F., Cranfield, M. 2005. Tourists welcome . New Scientist.
- Stoskopf, M.K., Nutter, F.B. 2004. Analyzing approaches to feral cat management-one size does not fit all. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Nutter, F.B., Levine, J.F., Stoskopf, M.K. 2004. Reproductive capacity of free-roaming domestic cats and kitten survival rate. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Nutter, F.B., Stoskopf, M.K., Levine, J.F. 2004. Time and financial costs of programs for live trapping feral cats. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Nutter, F.B., Dubey, J.P., Levine, J.F., Breitschwerdt, E.B., Ford, R.B., Stoskopf, M.K. 2004. Seroprevalences of antibodies against Bartonella henselae and Toxoplasma gondii and fecal shedding of Cryptosporidium spp, Giardia spp, and Toxocara cati in feral and pet domestic cats. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Sherwood, C.C., Cranfield, M.R., Mehlman, P.T., Lilly, A.A., Garbe, J.A.L., Whittier, C.A., Nutter, F.B., Rein, T.R., Bruner, H.J., Holloway, R.L., Tang, C.Y., Naidich, T.P., Delman, B.N., Steklis, H.D., Erwin, J.M., Hof, P.R. 2004. Brain structure variation in great apes, with attention to the mountain gorilla (Gorilla Beringei Beringei). American Journal of Primatology.
- Larsen, R.S., Nutter, F.B., Augspurger, T., Rocke, T.E., Thomas, N.J., Stoskopf, M.K. 2003. Failure to transmit avian vacuolar myelinopathy to mallard ducks. Journal of Wildlife Diseases.
- Larsen, R.S., Nutter, F.B., Augspurger, T., Rocke, T.E., Tomlinson, L., Thomas, N.J., Stoskopf, M.K. 2002. Clinical features of avian vacuolar myelinopathy in American coots. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Berry, C.R., DeGrado, T.R., Nutter, F., Garg, P.K., Breitschwerdt, E.B., Spaulding, K., Concannon, K.D., Zalutsky, M.R., Coleman, R.E. 2002. Imaging of pheochromocytoma in 2 dogs using p-[18F]fluorobenzylguanidine. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Nutter, F.B., Lee, D.D., Stamper, M.A., Lewbart, G.A., Stoskopf, M.K. 2000. Hemiovariosalpingectomy in a loggerhead sea turtle (Caretta caretta). Veterinary Record.
- Ramirez III, O., Dodge, R.K., Page, R.L., Price, G.S., Hauck, M.L., Ladue, T.A., Nutter, F., Thrall, D.E. 1999. Palliative radiotherapy of appendicular osteosarcoma in 95 dogs. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
General Research Interests
- Health of free-ranging wildlife
- Wildlife rehabilitation and reintroduction
- Conservation medicine
- Infectious disease ecology and zoonoses, especially pathogen transmission from humans to other animals
- Cat and dog population control, especially in lower and middle income countries
Selected Research Projects
- Health of Northwest Atlantic gray seals (Halichoerus grypus)
- Great ape conservation and health
- Feral and stray cat population control
- Impact evaluation of dog and cat spay/neuter programs, especially in lower and middle income countries
- Zoonotic Campyplobacter spp. in potential wildlife reservoir hosts
- Director, International Veterinary Medicine Signature Opportunity
- VET 135: International Veterinary Medicine – Course Director
- VET 216: Applied Epidemiology and Evidence-Based Medicine – Course Director
- IVM Forum – Course Director
- CMPH 170: Global Population Health & Advanced International Veterinary Medicine Elective/Selective – Co-Course Director
- MCM 586: Human Dimensions of Conservation Medicine – Co-Course Director
- IDGH 564: Ecology of Disease Transmission – Course Director
- Undergraduate ExCollege 0025-VS The Jumbo Imperative - Lecturer