- Doctoral Thesis - University of Berne, Switzerland - 1995
- DVM - University of Berne, Switzerland - 1987
- European College of Veterinary Neurology (ECVN), 1999
- Bentley RT, Faissler D, Sutherland-Smith J, (2011): Successful management of a phaeohyphomycotic fungal granuloma in a dog. JAVMA, 239:480-485.
- Sutherland-Smith J, King R, Faissler D, Ruthazar R, Sato A, (2011): MRI apparent diffusion coefficients for histologically confirmed intracranial lesions in dogs. Radiol&Ultrasound, 52:142-48.
- BM. Schneider, NH. Dodman, D. Faissler, N. Ogata, (2009): Clinical use of an herbal-derived compound (Huperazine A) to treat putative complex partial seizures in a dog. Epilepsy and Behaviour, 15:529-534.
- AL. Bilderback, D. Faissler, (2009): Surgical management of a canine intracranial abscess due to a bite wound. J Vet Emergency Critical Care, 10:507-12.
- AL Abelson, D Faissler, AZ Karas (2008): Anesthesia case of the month. JAVMA, May 1, 232:1298-300.
- McDonnell JJ, Keating J, Sato A, Faissler D (2007): Multiple meningiomas in dogs: 3 cases. J Am Hosp Assoc, 43, pp. 201-208.
General Research Interests
- Brain and spinal cord tumors; Wobbler's disease; Encephalitis; Epilepsy
Selected Research Projects
- Outcome of different treatment options in canine frontal lobe meningioma
- Classification of spinal cord compressions in canine cervical spondylotic myelopathy (Wobbler's disease)
- Levetiracetam for the long-term treatment of canine idiopathic epilepsy
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Neurodegenerative disease in dogs, menigiomas and gliomas in dogs, intervertebral disk disease
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Oncology and Cancer Research and Clinical Trials
- Brain and spinal cord tumors.
Neurology and Behavior
- Nutritional modulation of epileptic seizures. Neurosurgery and brain tumors in dogs and cats; Chronic cervical spinal cord compressions
Major Specialized Equipment
- Spiral CT Picker Venue
- MRI Siemens Impact 1 Tesla
- Electrodiagnostic equipment Nicolet Viking IV P
- Linear accelerator Siemens Mevatron 77