Deborah T. Kochevar, DVM, PhD, DACVCP is a Professor at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University. She received a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from Texas A&M University and a PhD degree in cellular and molecular biology from the University of Texas, Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. After completing an NIH National Research Service Award Fellowship, she joined the faculty at Texas A&M University where she remained until 2006.
Dr. Kochevar is a former Congressional Science Fellow to the Senate Labor and Human Resources Committee, a diplomate and past president of the American College of Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology and is active in the American Veterinary Medical Association, having chaired its Council on Education and the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates. She completed service as president and chair of the Board of Directors of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges in 2013.
Dr. Kochevar has published in peer-reviewed research and teaching journals and garnered extramural funding for her work. She has won college, university and national level teaching awards and has developed special interests in international aspects of health education, including the importance of inter-professional One Health curricula.
- PhD - University of Texas Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences - 1987
- DVM - Texas A&M University - 1981
- BA - Rice University - 1978
- American College of Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology
- Linder, D., Cardamone, C., Cash, S.B., Castellot, J., Kochevar, D., Dhadwal, S., Patterson, E. 2020. Development, implementation, and evaluation of a novel multidisciplinary one health course for university undergraduates. One Health.
- Kochevar, D.T. 2015. Fifty years of evolving partnerships in veterinary medical education. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Hoblet, K.H., Kochevar, D.T., Ames, T., Maccabe, A.T. 2013. A strategic approach to workforce dynamics requires collaboration and sound data. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Snowden, K., Bice, K., Craig, T., Howe, L., Jarrett, M., Jeter, E., Kochevar, D., Bruce Simpson, R., Stickney, M., Wesp, A., Wolf, A.M., Zoran, D. 2008. Vertically integrated educational collaboration between a college of veterinary medicine and a non-profit animal shelter. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Farnsworth, C.C., Herman, J.D., Osterstock, J.B., Porterpan, B.L., Willard, M.D., Hooper, R.N., Roussel Jr., A.J., Schmitz, D.G., Fogelberg, K., Kochevar, D.T. 2008. Assessment of clinical reasoning skills in veterinary students prior to and after the clinical year of training. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Kochevar, D.T., Stone, E. 2008. Introduction to the symposium. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Turnwald, G., Stone, E., Bristol, D., Fuentealba, C., Hardie, L., Hellyer, P., Jaeger, L., Kerwin, S., Kochevar, D., Lissemore, K., Olsen, C., Rogers, K., Sabin, B., Swanson, C., Warner, A. 2008. Assessing clinical competency: Reports from discussion groups. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Kochevar, D.T., Peycke, L.E. 2008. Balancing veterinary students' and house officers' learning experiences in veterinary teaching hospitals. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Cott, R., Rosenthal, K., Kochevar, D. 2007. Are new associates ready for work?. Veterinary Economics.
- Kochevar, D.T., Fajt, V. 2006. Evidence-Based Decision Making in Small Animal Therapeutics. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Small Animal Practice.
- Kochevar, D.T. 2004. The critical role of outcomes assessment in veterinary medical accreditation. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Kochevar, D.T. 2003. Information Technology in Veterinary Pharmacology Instruction. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Mealey, K.L., Barhoumi, R., Burghardt, R.C., Safe, S., Kochevar, D.T. 2002. Doxycycline induces expression of P glycoprotein in MCF-7 breast carcinoma cells. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.
- Botos, J., Smith III, R., Kochevar, D.T. 2002. Retinoblastoma function is a better indicator of cellular phenotype in cultured breast adenocarcinoma cells than retinoblastoma expression. Experimental Biology and Medicine.
- Botos, J., Barhoumi, R., Burghardt, R., Kochevar, D.T. 2002. Rb localization and phosphorylation kinetics correlate with the cellular phenotype of cultured breast adenocarcinoma cells. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology - Animal.
- Johnson, K.A., Hart, R.C., Chu, Q., Kochevar, D., Hulse, D.A. 2001. Concentrations of chondroitin sulfate epitopes 3B3 and 7D4 in synovial fluid after infra-articular and extracapsular reconstruction of the cranial cruciate ligament in dogs. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Johnson, K.A., Hulse, D.A., Hart, R.C., Kochevar, D., Chu, Q. 2001. Effects of an orally administered mixture of chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine hydrochloride and manganese ascorbate on synovial fluid chondroitin sulfate 3B3 and 7D4 epitope in a canine cruciate ligament transection model of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage.
- Mealey, K.L., Barhoumi, R., Burghardt, R.C., McIntyre, B.S., Sylvester, P.W., Hosick, H.L., Kochevar, D.T. 1999. Immunosuppressant inhibition of P-glycoprotein function is independent of drug-induced suppression of peptide-prolyl isomerase and calcineurin activity. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology.
- Botos, J., Smith III, U., Kochevar, D. 1998. Differential cell-cycle related rb expression in breast cancer and immortalized breast epithelial cells. FASEB Journal.
- Mealey, K.L., Barhoumi, R., Rogers, K., Kochevar, D.T. 1998. Doxorubicin induced expression of P-glycoprotein in a canine osteosarcoma cell line. Cancer Letters.
General Research Interests
- Molecular pharmacology
Selected Research Projects
- Molecular microenvironment of the degenerative canine joint
- Retinoblastoma gene expression and function in breast adenocarcinoma cells
- Antimicrobial induction of P-glycoprotein expression
Research and Clinical Interests
- Molecular biomarkers of disease
- Clinical pharmacology
- Veterinary medical education
- Evidence-based medicine