Director, Laboratory Animal Medicine Service
Clinical Professor and Chair
I have 30 years’ experience with research animal care and use with a record of leadership and management. I have a track record of independent and collaborative studies using a wide range of laboratory animal species. I am recognized for my ability to develop consensus-driven solutions to difficult problems with multiple stakeholders. I am widely recognized as an expert in the preventive medicine and clinical care of rodents, nonhuman primates, livestock and many less-common research species. One of my most enjoyable challenges as a laboratory animal veterinarian is to collaborate with faculty and staff on innovative solutions to complex scientific and logistical challenges. I offer a diverse background in academic and pharmaceutical biomedical research.
As a laboratory animal veterinarian, I have an important role in the diagnosis and management of laboratory animal disease, and in the development and application of animal models for the solution of urgent human and animal health problems. In collaboration with scientists, I apply the “3R’s” to use the appropriate number of animals and to refine the experimental design to prevent or minimize animal pain and distress.
- BS Yale College 1979
- DVM Tufts Veterinary School 1983
- Resident, Small Animal Internal Medicine, Tufts Veterinary School 1987
- American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine
- Massacesi L, Joshi N, Lee-Parritz D, Rombos A, Letvin NL, Hauser SL. Experimental allergic encephalomyelitis in cynomolgus monkeys. Quantitation of T cell responses in peripheral blood. J Clin Invest 1992;90:399-404.
- Chalifoux LV, Hajema EM, and Lee-Parritz D. Aeromonas hydrophila peritonitis in a cotton-top tamarin (Saguinus oedipus), and retrospective study of infections in seven primate species. Lab Anim Sci 1993;43:355-358.
- Sasseville VG, Pauley DR, Spaulding GL, Chalifoux LV, Lee-Parritz D, and Simon MA. A spontaneous squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity in a squirrel monkey (Saimiri sciureus). J Med Primatol 1993;22:272-275.
- Simon MA, Daniel MD, Lee-Parritz D, King NW, Ringler DJ. Disseminated B virus infection in a cynomolgus monkey. Lab Anim Sci 1993;43:545-550.
- Genain CP, Lee-Parritz D, Nguyen M-H, Massacesi L, Joshi N, Ferrante R, Hoffman K, Moseley M, Letvin NL, Hauser SL. In healthy primates, circulating autoreactive T-cells mediate autoimmune disease. J Clin Invest 1994;94:1339-1345.
- Reimann KA, Waite BCD, Lee-Parritz DE, Lin W, Uchanska-Ziegler B, O'Connell MJ, Letvin NL. Use of human leukocyte-specific monoclonal antibodies for clinically immunophenotyping lymphocytes of rhesus monkeys. Cytometry 1994;17:102-108.
- Chen WC, Kou Z-C, Shen L, Regan JD, Lord CI, Halloran M, Lee-Parritz D, Fultz PN, Letvin N. An acutely lethal simian immunodeficiency virus stimulates expansion of V?7- and V?14-expressing T lymphocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA 1994;91:7501-7505.
- Schapiro SJ, Lee-Parritz DE, Taylor LL, Watson L, Bloomsmith MA, Petto A. Behavioral management of specific pathogen-free (SPF) rhesus macaques: Group formation, reproduction, and parental competence. Lab Anim Sci 1994; 44:229-234.
- Massacesi L, Genain CP, Lee-Parritz D, Letvin NL, Canfield D, Hauser SL. Active and passively induced experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in common marmosets: a new model for multiple sclerosis. Annals Neurol 1995; 37:519-530.
- Chen ZW, Kou ZC, Lekutis C, Shen L, Zhou D, Halloran M, Li J, Sodroski J, Lee-Parritz D, and Letvin NL. T cell receptor Vβ repertoire in an acute infection of rhesus monkeys with simian immunodeficiency viruses and a chimeric simian-human immunodeficiency virus. J Exp Med 1995;182:21-31.
- Watson LM, Lee-Parritz DE, Petto AJ, LaReau-Alves MN. Effect of social rearing conditions of affiliative and reproductive behaviors of adult unimale/multifemale- grouped rhesus macaques: a case study. Contemporary Topics in Laboratory Animal Science 1995; 34:66-69.
- Reimann KA, Li JT, Voss G, Lekutis C, Tenner-Racz K, Racz P, Lin W, Montefiori DC, Lee-Parritz DE, Collman RG, Sodroski J, and Letvin NL. An env gene derived from a primary HIV-1 isolate confers high in vivo replicative capacity to a chimeric simian/human immunodeficiency virus in rhesus monkeys. J Virol 1996; 70:3198-3206.
- Kaur A, Daniel MD, Hempel D, Lee-Parritz D, Hirsch MS, and Johnson RP. Cytotoxic T-lymphocyte responses to cytomegalovirus in normal and simian immunodeficiency virus-infected rhesus macaques. J Virol 1996; 70:7725-7733.
- Chen ZW, Zhou DJ, Chalifoux L, Lee-Parritz D, Mansfield K, Lord CI, Letvin NL. Disseminated granulomatous disease in a simian immunodeficiency virus and Bacille-Calmette-Guerin-infected rhesus monkey (Letter). AIDS 1997; 11:266-267.
- Moghaddam A, Rosenzweig M, Lee-Parritz D, Annis B, Johnson RP, Wang F. An animal model for acute and persistent Epstein-Barr virus infection. Science 1997; 276: 2030-2033.
- Kou ZC, Halloran M, Lee Parritz D, Shen L, Simon M, Sehgal PK, Shen Y, Chen ZW. In vivo effects of a bacterial superantigen on macaque TCR repertoires. Journal of Immunology 1998; 160(10): 5170 80.
- Zhou DJ, Shen Y, Chalifoux , Lee-Parritz D, Simon M, Sehgal PK, Zheng LY, Halloran M, Chen ZW. Mycobacterium bovis bacille Calmette-Guerin enhances pathogenicity of simian immunodeficiency virus infection and accelerates progression to AIDS in macaques: A role of persistent T cell activation in AIDS pathogenesis. Journal of Immunology 1999; 162(4): 2204-2216.
- Zhou D, Kou Z, Ibegu C, Shen Y, Lee-Parritz D, Shen L, Sehgal PK, McClure HM, Morrison P, Bogle C, Sehgal N, Nahmias AJ, Chen ZW. The disruption of macaque CD4+ T-cell repertoires during the early simian immunodeficiency virus infection. Journal of Medical Primatology 1999; 28: 174-180.
- Santerre D, Chen RH, Kadner A, Lee-Parritz D, and Adams DH. Anaesthetic management of baboons undergoing heterotopic porcine cardiac xenotransplantation. Veterinary Research Communications 2001; 25:251-259.
- Bardi M, Petto AJ, Lee-Parritz D. Parental failure in captive cotton-top tamarins (Saguinus oedipus). American Journal of Primatology 2001; 54(3): 159 – 169.
- Chen ZW. Shen Y. Zhou D. Simon M. Kou Z. Lee-Parritz D. Shen L. Sehgal P. Letvin NL. In vivo T-lymphocyte activation and transient reduction of viral replication in macaques infected with simian immunodeficiency virus. Journal of Virology, 2001; 75 (10): 4713-20.
- Lee-Parritz D. Analgesia for rodent experimental surgery. Israel Journal of Veterinary Medicine, 2007. 62 (3-4): 74-78.
- Lee-Parritz, D., Cowell, A., Serriello, R., & Erickson, G. (2011). Response to Protocol Review Scenario: within his rights. Lab animal, 40(4), 104-104.
- Lee-Parritz, D., Holm, A., & Flink, K. (2015). Safety is the main concern. Lab Animal, 44(8), 296. doi:10.1038/laban.824
- Lee-Parritz D. Animal Care and Management. In: Souba WW and Wilmore DW, eds. “Surgical Research”. San Diego: Academic Press, 2001.
- Lee-Parritz D. Animal Surgery and Care of Animals. In: Ratner B, Hoffman A, Schoen F, and Lemons J, eds. Biomaterials Science (Third Edition). Academic Press, 2012.
General Research Interests
- Animal welfare
- Animal model development and refinement
Research and Clinical Interests
- Animal Welfare
- Laboratory Animal Management
- Infectious Disease
- Medical Primatology
- Laboratory Animal Medicine
- Research Animal Ethics
- Principles of Animal Care and Use
- Research Animal Analgesia and Anesthesia