- Dr. med. vet. - Free University of Berlin, Germany - 1997
- Diplomate ACVIM (Large Animal) - 2002
- Diplomate ACVECC (Equine) - 2005
- Kumar, D., Chaudhary, S., Lu, N., Duff, M., Heffel, M., McKinney, C.A., Bedenice, D., Marthaler, D. 2019. Metagenomic next-generation sequencing reveal presence of a novel ungulate bocaparvovirus in alpacas. Viruses.
- Luethy, D., Frimberger, A.E., Bedenice, D., Byrne, B.S., Groover, E.S., Gardner, R.B., Lewis, T., MacDonald, V.S., Proctor-Brown, L., Tomlinson, J.E., Rassnick, K.M., Johnson, A.L. 2019. Retrospective evaluation of clinical outcome after chemotherapy for lymphoma in 15 equids (1991-2017). Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Benavides, K., Rozanski, E., Anastasio, J.D., Bedenice, D. 2019. The effect of inhaled heliox on peak flow rates in normal and brachycephalic dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Bedenice, D., Johnson, A.L. 2018. Neurologic Conditions Affecting the Equine Athlete. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Equine Practice.
- Gestrich, A., Bedenice, D., Ceresia, M., Zaghloul, I. 2018. Pharmacokinetics of intravenous gentamicin in healthy young-adult compared to aged alpacas. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
- Thane, K., Bedenice, D., Pacheco, A. 2017. Operator-based variability of equine thromboelastography. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Pollock, J., Bedenice, D., Jennings, S.H., Papich, M.G. 2017. Pharmacokinetics of an extended-release formulation of eprinomectin in healthy adult alpacas and its use in alpacas confirmed with mange. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
- LoPinto, A.J., Pirie, C.G., Ayres, S.L., Bedenice, D. 2017. Comparison of indocyanine green and sodium fluorescein for anterior segment angiography of ophthalmically normal eyes of goats, sheep, and alpacas performed with a digital single-lens reflex camera adaptor. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Lopinto, A.J., Pirie, C.G., Bedenice, D., Ayres, S.L. 2017. Corneal thickness of eyes of healthy goats, sheep, and alpacas manually measured by use of a portable spectral-domain optical coherence tomography device. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Houtsma, A., Bedenice, D., Pusterla, N., Pugliese, B., Mapes, S., Hoffman, A.M., Paxson, J., Rozanski, E., Mukherjee, J., Wigley, M., Mazan, M.R. 2015. Association between inflammatory airway disease of horses and exposure to respiratory viruses: A case control study. Multidisciplinary Respiratory Medicine.
- Restifo, M.M., Bedenice, D., Thane, K.E., Mazan, M.R. 2015. Cavitary Effusion Associated with Anaplasma phagocytophilum Infection in 2 Equids. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Fecteau, M.-E., Bedenice, D., Cebra, C.K., Pinn, T.L., Mcadams, S.C., Fyock, T.L., Whitlock, R.H., Sweeney, R.W. 2013. Prevalence of mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis fecal shedding in alpacas presented to veterinary hospitals in the United States. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Henningson, J.N., Steffen, D.J., Topliff, C.L., Kurth, K.L., Dubielzig, R.R., Brodersen, B.W., Bedenice, D., Eskridge, K.M., Callan, R.J., Reggiardo, C., Rupp, G.P., Kelling, C.L. 2013. Systemic Distribution of Viral Antigen in Alpacas Persistently Infected With Bovine Pestivirus. Veterinary Pathology.
- Tremblay, J.M., Mukherjee, J., Leysath, C.E., Debatis, M., Ofori, K., Baldwin, K., Boucher, C., Peters, R., Beamer, G., Sheoran, A., Bedenice, D., Tzipori, S., Shoemaker, C.B. 2013. A single VHH-based toxin-neutralizing agent and an effector antibody protect mice against challenge with Shiga toxins 1 and 2. Infection and Immunity.
- Holmes, K., Bedenice, D., Papich, M.G. 2012. Florfenicol pharmacokinetics in healthy adult alpacas after subcutaneous and intramuscular injection. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
- Oura, T., Rozanski, E.A., Buckley, G., Bedenice, D. 2012. Low tidal volume ventilation in healthy dogs. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Mukherjee, J., Tremblay, J.M., Leysath, C.E., Ofori, K., Baldwin, K., Feng, X., Bedenice, D., Webb, R.P., Wright, P.M., Smith, L.A., Tzipori, S., Shoemaker, C.B. 2012. A novel strategy for development of recombinant antitoxin therapeutics tested in a mouse botulism model. PLoS ONE.
- Pacheco, A.P., Bedenice, D., Mazan, M.R., Hoffman, A.M. 2012. Respiratory mechanics and results of cytologic examination of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in healthy adult alpacas. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Welihozkiy, A., Bedenice, D., Price, L.L., Pizzirani, S., Pirie, C.G. 2011. Measurement of corneal sensitivity in 20 ophthalmologically normal alpacas. Veterinary Ophthalmology.
- Clore, E.R.S., Freeman, L.M., Bedenice, D., Tony Buffington, C.A., Anderson, D.E. 2011. Retrospective evaluation of parenteral nutrition in alpacas: 22 cases (2002-2008). Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
General Research Interests
Comparative respiratory physiology and non-invasive pulmonary function testing (equine, canine, camelid). Large animal neonatal and adult critical care. Emerging infectious diseases in camelids.
Selected Research Projects
- Characterization of immune responses in juvenile alpacas persistently infected with BVDV. Alpaca Research Foundation (ARF).
- The cardiovascular effects of dobutamine infusion in healthy, adult, anesthetized alpacas. Empire Alpaca Association.
- The humoral response to EEE vaccination in healthy alpacas. (ARF).
- Non-invasive measurement of respiratory resistance (Rrs) using two different oscillatory methods in the horse: Comparative study of impulse oscillometry (IOS) and Monofrequency Forced Oscillatory Mechanics (FOM) in the adult horse, pre and post bronchodilation.
- Non-invasive measurement of airway resistance (Raw) and functional residual capacity (FRC) in conscious sheep and dogs.
- Respiratory mechanics in awake adult llamas.
Research and Clinical Interests
- Non-invasive pulmonary function testing (horses, dogs, camelids)
- Comparative respiratory physiology
- Large Animal Neonatal and Adult Critical Care (horses, camelids)
- Advanced Medical Care for Equine and Camelid species (llama, alpaca)
- Emerging infectious diseases in camelids (Eastern Equine Encephalitis, BVD)
Research Interests by Area
Other Areas of Research
- Humoral response to vaccination
- Regenerative medicine in camelids.
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Respiratory disease in large animals, COPD, parasitic lung disease
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
- Comparative respiratory physiology and non-invasive pulmonary function testing (equine,canine,camelid). Respiratory disease in horses and alpacas, clinical pharmacology
Major Specialized Equipment
Pulmonary Mechanics Data Acquisition System - XA BioSystem ; Whole Body Plethysmograph ; Canine (Head-Out) Plethysmograph; small Canine Whole Body (unrestrained) Plethysmograph (measurement of PENH); inductance plethysmography (Respitrace ) for measurements of abdominal and rib cage ventilation and thoracoabdominal synchrony; Helium and Carbon Monoxide Monitor (Morgan Scientific - measurement of diffusion capacity of CO and helium dilution using rebreathing, steady state, or single breath method); ventilators; Indirect Calorimeter (Vmax, ViaSys) - resting and exercise energy (VO2, VCO2, RQ), Sato High Speed Treadmill for exercise studies in horses, sheep, dogs, etc.; patient monitoring system (Passport II ), Arterial Blood Gas Analyzer; Computed Tomography (Pickard 5000 Spiral CT and densitometry software); video endoscopy/gastroscopy etc. Clinical pathology, pathology, ultrasound and radiology facilities complement the environment.