- BA Bowdoin College
- DVM Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
- Residency Cerificate Small and Large Animal Anesthesia
- Residency Certificate Small Animal Emergency & Critical Care
- American College of Veterinary Anesthesia & Analgesia (ACVAA)
- American College of Veterinary Emergency & Critical Care
- Sahagian, M.J., Costa, R.S., Abelson, A.L. 2019. Anesthesia case of the month. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Reader, R.C., Barton, B.A., Abelson, A.L. 2019. Comparison of two intramuscular sedation protocols on sedation, recovery and ease of venipuncture for cats undergoing blood donation. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Allukian, A.R., Abelson, A.L., Babyak, J., Rozanski, E.A. 2017. Comparison of time to obtain intraosseous versus jugular venous catheterization on canine cadavers. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Crane, C., Rozanski, E.A., Abelson, A.L., deLaforcade, A. 2017. Severe brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome is associated with hypercoagulability in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation.
- Roderick, K.V., Abelson, A.L., Nielsen, L., Price, L.L., Quinn, R. 2017. Evaluation of red blood cell distribution width as a prognostic indicator in cats with acquired heart disease, with and without congestive heart failure. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Cummings, K.A., Abelson, A.L., Rozanski, E.A., Sharp, C.R. 2016. The effect of storage on ammonia, cytokine, and chemokine concentrations in feline whole blood. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Abelson, A.L., Buckley, G.J., Rozanski, E.A. 2013. Positive impact of an emergency department protocol on time to antimicrobial administration in dogs with septic peritonitis. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Abelson, A.L., O'Toole, T.E., Johnston, A., Respess, M., de Laforcade, A.M. 2013. Hypoperfusion and acute traumatic coagulopathy in severely traumatized canine patients.. Journal of veterinary emergency and critical care (San Antonio, Tex. : 2001).
- Abelson, A.L., Armitage-Chan, E., Lindsey, J.C., Wetmore, L.A. 2011. A comparison of epidural morphine with low dose bupivacaine versus epidural morphine alone on motor and respiratory function in dogs following splenectomy. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia.
- Abelson, A.L., Shelton, G.D., Whelan, M.F., Cornejo, L., Shaw, S., O'Toole, T.E. 2009. Use of mycophenolate mofetil as a rescue agent in the treatment of severe generalized myasthenia gravis in three dogs. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Abelson, A.L., McCobb, E.C., Shaw, S., Armitage-Chan, E., Wetmore, L.A., Karas, A.Z., Blaze, C. 2009. Use of wound soaker catheters for the administration of local anesthetic for post-operative analgesia: 56 cases. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia.
- Abelson, A.L., Karas, A.Z. 2008. The authors respond. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Abelson, A.L., Faissler, D., Karas, A.Z. 2008. Anesthesia case of the month. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
General Research Interests
- Transfusion medicine
- Abdominal sepsis
Selected Research Projects
- Coagulopathy in trauma
Research and Clinical Interests
- Transfusion medicine
- Management of abdominal sepsis
- Management of severe trauma
- Antibiotic selection for sepsis
- Anesthesia of the critically ill
- Clinical Skills I and II Course Director
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Emergency and Critical Care
- Protocol driven clinical practice, trauma, transfusion medicine