- DVM - Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine - 1989
- MS - Tufts School of Nutrition - 1985
- BA - Harvard University - 1981
- American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia (ACVAA)
- Mazor-Thomas, J.E., Mann, P.E., Karas, A.Z., Tseng, F. 2014. Pain-suppressed behaviors in the red-tailed hawk (Buteo jamaicensis). Applied Animal Behaviour Science.
- Hekman, J.P., Karas, A.Z., Sharp, C.R. 2014. Psychogenic stress in hospitalized dogs: Cross species comparisons, implications for health care, and the challenges of evaluation. Animals.
- Rock, M.L., Karas, A.Z., Gallo, M.S., Pritchett-Corning, K., Gaskill, B.N. 2014. Housing condition and nesting experience do not affect the Time to Integrate to Nest Test (TINT). Animal Welfare.
- Rock, M.L., Karas, A.Z., Gartrell Rodriguez, K.B., Gallo, M.S., Pritchett-Corning, K., Karas, R.H., Aronovitz, M., Gaskill, B.N. 2014. The time-to-integrate-to-nest test as an indicator of wellbeing in laboratory mice. Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science.
- Gaskill, B.N., Karas, A.Z., Garner, J.P., Pritchett-Corning, K.R. 2013. Nest building as an indicator of health and welfare in laboratory mice.. Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE.
- Hekman, J.P., Karas, A.Z., Dreschel, N.A. 2012. Salivary cortisol concentrations and behavior in a population of healthy dogs hospitalized for elective procedures. Applied Animal Behaviour Science.
- Karas, A.Z. 2011. Surgical management of the goat.. Lab animal.
- Karas, A.Z. 2011. To the editor. Lab Animal.
- Weaver, L.A., Blaze, C.A., Linder, D.E., Andrutis, K.A., Karas, A.Z. 2010. A model for clinical evaluation of perioperative analgesia in rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus). Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science.
- Abelson, A.L., McCobb, E.C., Shaw, S., Armitage-Chan, E., Wetmore, L.A., Karas, A.Z., Blaze, C. 2009. Use of wound soaker catheters for the administration of local anesthetic for post-operative analgesia: 56 cases. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia.
- Karas, A.Z., Danneman, P.J., Cadillac, J.M. 2008. Strategies for Assessing and Minimizing Pain. Anesthesia and Analgesia in Laboratory Animals.
- Fish, R.E., Brown, M.J., Danneman, P.J., Karas, A.Z. 2008. Preface. Anesthesia and Analgesia in Laboratory Animals.
- Abelson, A.L., Karas, A.Z. 2008. The authors respond. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Abelson, A.L., Faissler, D., Karas, A.Z. 2008. Anesthesia case of the month. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Fish, R., Danneman, P., Brown, M., Karas, A. 2008. Anesthesia and Analgesia in Laboratory Animals. Anesthesia and Analgesia in Laboratory Animals.
- Karas, A.Z. 2006. Barriers to assessment and treatment of pain in laboratory animals. Lab Animal.
- Flecknell, P., Karas, A. 2004. Assessing and managing pain and distress for ethics committees. ATLA Alternatives to Laboratory Animals.
- Chevalier, H.M., Provost, P.J., Karas, A.Z. 2004. Effect of caudal epidural xylazine on intraoperative distress and post-operative pain in Holstein heifers. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia.
- Karas, A.Z., Goldberg, A.M., Tranquilli, W., Gross, D. 2003. Recognizing signs of pain  (multiple letters). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Kaufman, G.E., Seymour, R.E., Bonner, B.B., Court, M.H., Karas, A.Z. 2003. Use of rocuronium for endotracheal intubation of North American Gulf Coast box turtles. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
General Research Interests
- Pain medicine, refinement research
Selected Research Projects
- Evidence-based surgical analgesia in the laboratory rabbit
- Evaluation of surgical analgesia in the laboratory mouse
- Effects of Bowen on stress in hospitalized dogs
- Nest behavior as an indicator of well-being in laboratory mice
Research and Clinical Interests
- Clinical assessment of pain
- Acute pain management
- Assessment and treatment of pain or distress in laboratory animals
- Animal well-being and quality of life
- Chronic and cancer pain
- Complementary medicine, acupuncture, manual therapies
- Anesthesiology & Pain Management
- An Introduction to Animal Welfare
- Animals in Society: Research
Research Interests by Area
Pain Management and Alternatives
- Evidence-based surgical analgesia in laboratory animals, pharmacokinetics of analgesic drugs in dogs, Analgesia, pain medication, complementary medicine, laboratory animals
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Chronic pain in animals, post-operative pain