Akram Da'darah, M.Sc. Ph.D. is a Research Assistant Professor at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine who joined the Molecular Helminthology Laboratory in 2010. His main research focuses on Host-Parasite interaction in order to understand how schistosome parasites are able to survive in the host for several years. The overall objective of his research is to identify novel candidates that can be used as drug targets and/or vaccine candidates. Prior to joining Tufts University, Akram has worked at the Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases/Harvard School of Public Health for twelve years as a post-doctoral fellow, a research associate and a scientist. He has extensive experience in studying schistosome parasites.
He received his Ph.D. in Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology in 1997 from Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine/Hamburg University, Germany. His Ph.D. research focused on polyamine metabolic pathway as a drug target for human parasitic diseases. He also obtained a Master's degree in cytogenetics.
- PhD - Hamburg University, Germany - 1997
- MSc - Yarmouk Univeristy, Jordan - 1992
- BSc - Yarmouk University, Jordan - 1990
- Da'dara, A.A., Siddons, G., Icaza, M., Wang, Q., Skelly, P.J. 2016. How schistosomes alter the human serum proteome. Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology.
- Figueiredo, B.C., Da'dara, A.A., Oliveira, S.C., Skelly, P.J. 2015. Schistosomes Enhance Plasminogen Activation: The Role of Tegumental Enolase. PLoS Pathogens.
- Da'dara, A.A., Skelly, P.J. 2014. gene suppression in schistosomes using RNAi. Parasite Genomics Protocols: Second Edition.
- Figueiredo, B.C., Assis, N.R.G., Morais, S.B., Ricci, N.D., Pinheiro, C.S., Martins, V.P., Bicalho, R.M., Da'dara, A.A., Skelly, P.J., Oliveira, S.C. 2014. Schistosome Syntenin Partially Protects Vaccinated Mice against Schistosoma mansoni Infection. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases.
- Skelly, P.J., Da'dara, A.A., Li, X.-H., Castro-Borges, W., Wilson, R.A. 2014. Schistosome Feeding and Regurgitation. PLoS Pathogens.
- Da'Dara, A.A., Skelly, P.J. 2014. Schistosomes versus platelets. Thrombosis Research.
- Da'dara, A.A., Bhardwaj, R., Ali, Y.B.M., Skelly, P.J. 2014. Schistosome tegumental ecto-apyrase (SmATPDase1) degrades exogenous pro-inflammatory and pro-thrombotic nucleotides. PeerJ.
- Farias, L.P., Krautz-Peterson, G., Tararam, C.A., Araujo-Montoya, B.O., Fraga, T.R., Rofatto, H.K., Silva-Jr, F.P., Isaac, L., Da'dara, A.A., Wilson, R.A., Shoemaker, C.B., Leite, L.C.C. 2013. On the Three-Finger Protein Domain Fold and CD59-Like Proteins in Schistosoma mansoni. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases.
- Da'dara, A.A., Faghiri, Z., Krautz-Peterson, G., Bhardwaj, R., Skelly, P.J. 2013. Schistosome Na, K-ATPase as a therapeutic target. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
- Grenfell, R., Harn, D.A., Tundup, S., Da'dara, A., Siqueira, L., Coelho, P.M.Z. 2013. New Approaches with Different Types of Circulating Cathodic Antigen for the Diagnosis of Patients with Low Schistosoma mansoni Load. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases.
- Da'dara, A.A., Skelly, P.J. 2012. RNA Interference as a Tool for Drug Discovery in Parasitic Flatworms. Parasitic Helminths: Targets, Screens, Drugs and Vaccines.
- Da'dara, A., Krautz-Peterson, G., Faghiri, Z., Skelly, P.J. 2012. Metabolite movement across the schistosome surface. Journal of Helminthology.
- Bhardwaj, R., Krautz-Peterson, G., Da'dara, A., Tzipori, S., Skelly, P.J. 2011. Tegumental phosphodiesterase SmNPP-5 is a virulence factor for schistosomes. Infection and Immunity.
- Da'dara, A., Skelly, P.J. 2011. Manipulation of vascular function by blood flukes?. Blood Reviews.
- Chessler, A.C., Caradonna, K.L., Da'dara, A., Burleigh, B.A. 2011. Type I interferons increase host susceptibility to trypanosoma cruzi infection. Infection and Immunity.
- Wang, Y., Da'Dara, A.A., Thomas, P.G., Harn, D.A. 2010. Dendritic cells activated by an anti-inflammatory agent induce CD4 + T helper type 2 responses without impairing CD8+ memory and effector cytotoxic T-lymphocyte responses. Immunology.
- Da'dara, A.A., Harn, D.A. 2010. Elimination of helminth infection restores HIV-1C vaccine-specific T cell responses independent of helminth-induced IL-10. Vaccine.
- Harn, D.A., McDonald, J., Atochina, O., Da'Dara, A.A. 2009. Modulation of host immune responses by helminth glycans. Immunological Reviews.
- Atochina, O., Da'dara, A.A., Walker, M., Harn, D.A. 2008. The immunomodulatory glycan LNFPIII initiates alternative activation of murine macrophages in vivo. Immunology.
- Da'Dara, A.A., Li, Y.S., Xiong, T., Zhou, J., Williams, G.M., McManus, D.P., Feng, Z., Yu, X.L., Gray, D.J., Harn, D.A. 2008. DNA-based vaccines protect against zoonotic schistosomiasis in water buffalo. Vaccine.
General Research Interests
- Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology
- Drug research and development: For parasitic diseases
- Immune regulation and vaccine development.
Selected Research Projects
- Host-Parasite interaction. This project investigates the interactions between schistosome parasites and their host. This will enhance our understanding of the mechanism(s) of the parasites survival in the host for several years, as well as allows us to identify and evaluate novel drug targets for schistosomiasis.
- Vaccine development for schistosomiasis. This project will evaluate several novel surface parasites proteins as vaccine candidates against schistosome infections.