My research spans multiple levels of analysis (from proximate to ultimate) by incorporating in depth observations at different biological scales (from molecular to population level). My approach to research integrates molecular and genetic approaches with elements of animal behavior, ecology, evolution and phylogenetics with the experimental power of model systems to answer fundamental questions about the evolution of reproduction in disease vectors and other insect model systems of significance to humanity. Recently, much of my work has focused on Anopheles mosquitoes, the principal vectors of malaria. However, I am interested in switching my focus to local mosquito species and other arthropod vectors.
- BA – Earlham College, 2001
- PhD – Tufts University, 2012
- Werling, K., Shaw, W.R., Itoe, M.A., Westervelt, K.A., Marcenac, P., Paton, D.G., Peng, D., Singh, N., Smidler, A.L., South, A., Deik, A.A., Mancio-Silva, L., Demas, A.R., March, S., Calvo, E., Bhatia, S.N., Clish, C.B., Catteruccia, F. 2019. Steroid Hormone Function Controls Non-competitive Plasmodium Development in Anopheles. Cell.
- Thailayil, J., Gabrieli, P., Caputo, B., Bascuñán, P., South, A., Diabate, A., Dabire, R., Della Torre, A., Catteruccia, F. 2018. Analysis of natural female post-mating responses of Anopheles gambiae and Anopheles coluzzii unravels similarities and differences in their reproductive ecology. Scientific Reports.
- Al-Wathiqui, N., Fallon, T.R., South, A., Weng, J.-K., Lewis, S.M. 2016. Molecular characterization of firefly nuptial gifts: A multi-omics approach sheds light on postcopulatory sexual selection. Scientific Reports.
- South, A., Catteruccia, F. 2016. Sexual Selection and the Evolution of Mating Systems in Mosquitoes. Advances in Insect Physiology.
- Mitchell, S.N., Kakani, E.G., South, A., Howell, P.I., Waterhouse, R.M., Catteruccia, F. 2015. Evolution of sexual traits influencing vectorial capacity in anopheline mosquitoes. Science.
- Baldini, F., Gabrieli, P., South, A., Valim, C., Mancini, F., Catteruccia, F. 2013. The Interaction between a Sexually Transferred Steroid Hormone and a Female Protein Regulates Oogenesis in the Malaria Mosquito Anopheles gambiae. PLoS Biology.
- Thomas, A., Hui, C., South, A., McVey, M. 2013. Common variants of drosophila melanogaster Cyp6d2 cause camptothecin sensitivity and synergize with loss of Brca2. G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics.
- Fu, X., South, A., Lewis, S.M. 2012. Sexual dimorphism, mating systems, and nuptial gifts in two Asian fireflies (Coleoptera: Lampyridae). Journal of Insect Physiology.
- South, A., Lewis, S.M. 2012. Effects of male ejaculate on female reproductive output and longevity in Photinus fireflies. Canadian Journal of Zoology.
- South, A., Lewis, S.M. 2012. Determinants of reproductive success across sequential episodes of sexual selection in a firefly. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences.
- Lewis, S., South, A. 2012. The Evolution of Animal Nuptial Gifts. Advances in the Study of Behavior.
- Lewis, S., South, A., Burns, R., Al-Wathiqui, N. 2011. Nuptial gifts. Current Biology.
- South, A., Sirot, L.K., Lewis, S.M. 2011. Identification of predicted seminal fluid proteins in Tribolium castaneum. Insect Molecular Biology.
- South, A., Lewis, S.M. 2011. The influence of male ejaculate quantity on female fitness: A meta-analysis. Biological Reviews.
- South, A., Stanger-Hall, K., Jeng, M.-L., Lewis, S.M. 2011. Correlated evolution of female neoteny and flightlessness with male spermatophore production in fireflies (coleoptera: Lampyridae). Evolution.
- Wu, C.-H., Jeng, M.-L., South, A., Ho, J.-Z., Yang, P.-S. 2010. Evidence for two male morphs of Luciola cerata Olivier (Coleoptera: Lampyridae) exhibiting distinct mating behavior, with implications for sexual selection. Coleopterists Bulletin.
- Sharkey, E.K., South, A., Moosman, P.R., Cratsley, C.K., Lewis, S.M. 2010. Assessing condition-dependence of male flash signals in Photinus fireflies. Journal of Insect Behavior.
- Tigreros, N., South, A., Fedina, T., Lewis, S. 2009. Does fertilization by proxy occur in Tribolium beetles? A replicated study of a novel mechanism of sperm transfer. Animal Behaviour.
- South, A., LeVan, K., Leombruni, L., Orians, C.M., Lewis, S.M. 2008. Examining the role of cuticular hydrocarbons in firefly species recognition. Ethology.
- South, A., Sota, T., Abe, N., Yuma, M., Lewis, S.M. 2008. The production and transfer of spermatophores in three Asian species of Luciola fireflies. Journal of Insect Physiology.
General Research Interests
- Vector Biology
- Pathogen-Vector Interactions and Coevolution
- Sexual Selection
- Fundamentals of Biostatistics
- Epidemiology and Evidence Based Medicine
- Research Skills I – Systematic Review and Analysis
- Infectious Diseases of Humans and Animals