Dr. Virginia Rentko is a board-certified veterinary internist and a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine. Dr. Rentko's professional interests include hematology, tissue oxygenation and general internal medicine. Prior to this position, she was hospital director at Tufts Veterinary Emergency Treatment and Specialties in Walpole, MA.
Dr. Rentko earned a Bachelor's Degree in Biology from Boston University and a Master's Degree in Zoology from The Ohio State University. She holds a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, where she also completed an internship in medicine and surgery. She undertook a residency in Internal Medicine at the Cummings School.
Dr. Rentko is a member of the American Veterinary Medical Association, the Massachusetts Veterinary Medical Association and the Association of Veterinary Hematology and Transfusion Medicine. She has published articles in various scientific journals and book chapters on topics in hematology. Dr. Rentko has lectured internationally on the topic of blood substitutes, a topic which she investigated for much of her career. She previously held various management positions at Biopure Corporation, most recently, Vice President of Preclinical Research where she worked on the development of the first commercially successful blood substitute for dogs in the United States and Europe. During that time she held an adjunct appointment in the Department of Clinical Sciences at Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine.
- VMD - University of Pennsylvania - 1987
- MS - The Ohio State University - 1983
- BA - Boston University - 1981
- Small Animal Internal Medicine
- Kwong, M., Gardner, H.L., Dieterle, N., Rentko, V. 2019. Optimization of Electronic Medical Records for Data Mining Using a Common Data Model. Topics in Companion Animal Medicine.
- Kwong, M., Gardner, H.L., Dieterle, N., Rentko, V. 2019. TRANSLATOR DatabaseâA Vision for a Multi-Institutional Research Network. Topics in Companion Animal Medicine.
- Muir, W.W., Ilangovan, G., Zweier, J.L., Moon-Massat, P.F., Rentko, V.T. 2011. Vital organ tissue oxygenation after serial normovolemic exchange transfusion with HBOC-201 in anesthetized swine. Shock.
- Mongan, P.D., Moon-Massat, P.F., Rentko, V., Mihok, S., Dragovich, A., Sharma, P. 2009. Regional blood flow after serial normovolemic exchange transfusion with HBOC-201 (hemopure) in anesthetized swine. Journal of Trauma - Injury, Infection and Critical Care.
- Rice, J., Philbin, N., Light, R., Arnaud, F., Steinbach, T., McGwin, G., Collier, S., Malkevich, N., Moon-Massatt, P., Rentko, V., Pearce, L.B., Ahlers, S., McCarron, R., Handrigan, M., Freilich, D. 2008. The effects of decreasing low-molecular weight hemoglobin components of hemoglobin-based oxygen carriers in swine with hemorrhagic shock. Journal of Trauma - Injury, Infection and Critical Care.
- Rentko, V.T., Pearce, L.B., Moon-Massat, P.F., Gawryl, M.S. 2006. Hemopure Â® (HBOC-201, hemoglobin glutamer-250 (Bovine)). Preclinical studies. Blood Substitutes.
- Pearce, L.B., Gawryl, M.S., Rentko, V.T., Moon-Massat, P.F., Rausch, C.W. 2006. HBOC-201 (Hemoglobin Glutamer-250 (Bovine), HemopureÂ®). Clinical studies. Blood Substitutes.
- Callan, M.B., Rentko, V.T. 2003. Clinical application of a hemoglobin-based oxygen-carrying solution. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Small Animal Practice.
- Vin, R., Bedenice, D., Rentko, V.T., Paradis, M.R. 2002. The use of ultrapurified bovine hemoglobin solution in the treatment of two cases of presumed red maple toxicosis in a miniature horse and a pony. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Hamilton, R.G., Kelly, N., Gawryl, M.S., Rentko, V.T. 2001. Absence of immunopathology associated with repeated IV administration of bovine Hb-based oxygen carrier in dogs. Transfusion.
- Braden, T.D., Tvedten, H.W., DeCamp, C.E., Turner, T.M., Hughes, G.S., Rentko, V.T. 1999. Radiographic, biomechanical, and pathologic effects of hemoglobin glutamer-200 in dogs undergoing cemented total hip arthroplasty. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Rentko, V.T. 1992. Red blood cell substitutes.. Problems in veterinary medicine.
- Rentko, V.T., Clark, N., Ross, L.A., Schelling, S.H. 1992. Canine Leptospirosis: A Retrospective Study of 17 Cases. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Pappas, P.W., Narcisi, E.M., Rentko, V. 1983. Alterations in brush border membrane proteins and membrane-bound enzymes of the tapeworm, Hymenolepis diminuta, during development in the definitive host. Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology.
General Research Interests
Research and Clinical Interests
- Hemoglobin based oxygen carrying solutions
- Transfusion medicine
Research Interests by Area
Other Areas of Research
- Blood products; hemoglobin replacement