Clinical Orthopedics and Soft Tissue Surgery
Rob McCarthy is a veterinary surgeon specializing in both orthopedic and soft tissue surgery. Although he works primarily with companion small animals, he also performs surgery on exotic, wildlife and zoo animals. He has a special interest in minimally invasive surgery (laparoscopy, arthroscopy) of all types.
Dr. McCarthy grew up in Natick, MA, and first became interested in veterinary medicine while he was an undergraduate student at Boston College. He was offered admission to both veterinary and medical school, but decided to pursue veterinary medicine at Tufts, where he earned his degree in 1983 as a member of the school's first graduating class. He served on the faculty of Louisiana State University and earned a master's degree from the University of Minnesota prior to returning to Tufts as a faculty member in 1993.
The Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine has the best clinical programs, small animal hospital, faculty and staff of any veterinary school in the country, he says.
From my perspective, this is a perfect job.
Dr. McCarthy's notable cases range from fracture repairs on bald eagles, turkey vultures and hawks at the Tufts Wildlife Clinic, to a penguin at the New England Aquarium, and a wallaby and cheetah at the Roger Williams Zoo in Rhode Island. Most recently, Dr.McCarthy has begun performing minimally invasive laparoscopic spay surgeries on large dogs and other animals; among his first patients were two tigers from Southwick's Zoo in nearby Mendon, MA.
Dr. McCarthy has lectured on small animal surgery at meetings from Puerto Rico to Australia and in all corners of the United States. He has a strong interest in feral cat management and has coordinated a trap-neuter-release program on Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands for the past several years.
Dr. McCarthy lives in Grafton with his wife, Paula, a part-time staff member at the Wildlife Clinic. The couple has two children, Sara and Nick, and share their home with two cats and three dogs—two of whom were rescues. He plays tennis and soccer as often as he can and is an avid SCUBA diver.
- MS - University of Minnesota - 1992
- DVM - Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine - 1983
- American College of Veterinary Surgery
- Reader, R.C., McCarthy, R.J., Schultz, K.L., Volturo, A.R., Barton, B.A., O'Hara, M.J., Abelson, A.L. 2020. Comparison of liposomal bupivacaine and 0.5% bupivacaine hydrochloride for control of postoperative pain in dogs undergoing tibial plateau leveling osteotomy. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Roca, R.Y., McCarthy, R.J. 2019. Impact of Telemedicine on the Traditional Veterinarian-Client-Patient Relationship. Topics in Companion Animal Medicine.
- Turner, R.C., Graham, J.E., Hahn, S., Mariano, A., McCarthy, R. 2019. Infraorbital Keratin Cyst in an Umbrella Cockatoo (Cacatua alba). Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery.
- Sprecher, C.M., Milz, S., Suter, T., Keating, J.H., McCarthy, R.J., Gueorguiev, B., Boudrieau, R.J. 2018. Retrospective analysis of corrosion and ion release from retrieved cast stainless steel tibia plateau leveling osteotomy plates in dogs with and without peri-implant osteosarcoma. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Singh, H., Kowaleski, M.P., McCarthy, R.J., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. A comparative study of the dorsolateral and ventrolateral approaches for repair of canine sacroiliac luxation. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Leonard, K.C., Kowaleski, M.P., Saunders, W.B., McCarthy, R.J., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Combined tibial plateau levelling osteotomy and tibial tuberosity transposition for treatment of cranial cruciate ligament insufficiency with concomitant medial patellar luxation. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Garneau, M.S., McCarthy, R.J. 2015. Multiple magnetic gastrointestinal foreign bodies in a dog. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Becker, W., Kowaleski, M.P., McCarthy, R.J., Blake, C.A. 2015. Extracorporeal shockwave therapy for shoulder lameness in dogs. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Mccarthy, R.J., Levine, S.H., Michael Reed, J. 2013. The authors respond. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- McCarthy, R.J., Levine, S.H., Michael Reed, J. 2013. Estimation of effectiveness of three methods of feral cat population control by use of a simulation model. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- McCarthy, R.J. 2013. Tepoxalin no longer available commercially. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Gradil, C., McCarthy, R. 2013. Cryptorchidism. Small Animal Soft Tissue Surgery.
- Hutchinson, D., Freeman, L.M., McCarthy, R., Anastasio, J., Shaw, S.P., Sutherland-Smith, J. 2012. Seizures and severe nutrient deficiencies in a puppy fed a homemade diet. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- DeTora, M., McCarthy, R.J. 2012. The authors respond: Historical perspective on veterinary school accreditation debate. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- de Tora, M., Mccarthy, R.J. 2012. Re: Pyometra in dogs and cats following ovariectomy. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- DeTora, M., McCarthy, R.J. 2012. RE: Ovariectomy during early pregnancy. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Sprecher, C.M., Boudrieau, R.J., Suter, T., Keating, J.H., McCarthy, R.J., Milz, S. 2012. Are cast stainless steel plates related to osteosarcoma occurrence?. European Cells and Materials.
- de Tora, M., McCarthy, R.J. 2011. Ovariohysterectomy versus ovariectomy for elective sterilization of female dogs and cats: Is removal of the uterus necessary?. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Wayne, A., Mccarthy, R., Lindenmayer, J. 2011. Therapeutic antibiotic use patterns in dogs: Observations from a veterinary teaching hospital. Journal of Small Animal Practice.
- McCarthy, R.J. 2010. BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Endoscopy and Endosurgery - Edited by Philip Lhermette and David Sobel. Journal of Small Animal Practice.
General Research Interests
- Reproduction control in dogs and cats
- Feral cat management
- Surgery in exotic pets and wildlife