Randy Boudrieau is a small animal surgeon specializing in orthopedics. His special interests are in fracture healing, joint replacement and maxillofacial surgery. He also occasionally operates and consults on large animals (horses, cows, et cetera) and wildlife when the problem being treated is similar to one he would see in small animals. He teaches orthopedic surgery to students at all levels of the curriculum at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine.
Dr.†Boudrieau grew up abroad, in India and later Central Africa, returning to the†US†before finishing high school.†
My uncle was a dog trainer,†he says,†
and I have always enjoyed being around dogs and always wanted to be able to treat the issues we were faced with without going to someone else. Surgery, and especially orthopedics, seemed to be a natural fit.
After his surgical residency,†Dr.†Boudrieau came to the Foster Hospital for Small Animals, thinking he would later move on to private practice.
But because I was involved at the beginning with the development of the new school, I enjoyed seeing it grow, with me alongside,†he says.†
I have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy, the very diverse and busy caseload that the hospital encourages as a major referral center.
His most memorable cases at the Foster Hospital for Small Animals involve multiple trauma, or, as he puts it,
unusual trauma where we can apply innovative techniques and implants. For example, high cervical fractures where we were able to develop a new surgical technique/approach, or maxillofacial surgery to reconstruct a dog’s jaw or face. These cases are especially rewarding as they are in such poor shape with disfigurement, pain and an inability to eat or drink, and within 24 hours after surgery they look normal again and are quickly fully functional.
Dr.†Boudrieau lives with his wife, a veterinary anesthesiologist who he met at Tufts who now works in the pharmaceutical industry in new drug development, and four dogs: two Labrador retrievers and two giant Schnauzers. They have also bred Labradors for many years. In his spare time, he enjoys do-it-yourself projects at home that, he says,†
my wife calls†
home orthopedics,†due to the similarities to the building/reconstruction I perform at work.†Dr.†Boudrieau and his wife also are avid bicyclists, and own a tandem, frequently doing long tours around New England and France. They also enjoy skiing and hiking.
- Surgical Residency - Ohio State University - 1981 - 1984
- DVM - Washington State University - 1978
- BS (with Distinction) - University of Washington - 1972
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS)
- European College of Veterinary Surgeons (ECVS)
- Cunningham, D.P., Mostafa, A.A., Gordan-Evans, W.J., Boudrieau, R.J., Griffon, D.J. 2017. Factors contributing to the variability of a predictive score for cranial cruciate ligament deficiency in Labrador Retrievers. BMC Veterinary Research.
- Boudrieau, R. 2017. Complications Specific to Locking Plates. Complications in Small Animal Surgery.
- Griffon, D.J., Cunningham, D., Gordon-Evans, W.J., Tanaka, R., Bruecker, K.A., Boudrieau, R.J. 2017. Evaluation of a scoring system based on conformation factors to predict cranial cruciate ligament disease in Labrador Retrievers. Veterinary Surgery.
- Brower, B.E., Kowaleski, M.P., Peruski, A.M., Pozzi, A., Dyce, J., Johnson, K.A., Boudrieau, R.J. 2017. Distal femoral lateral closing wedge osteotomy as a component of comprehensive treatment of medial patellar luxation and distal femoral varus in dogs. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Mariano, A.D., Kowaleski, M.P., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Novel TPLO alignment jig/saw guide reproduces freehand and ideal osteotomy positions. PLoS ONE.
- Nesser, V.E., Kowaleski, M.P., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Severe Polyethylene Wear Requiring Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty in Three Dogs. Veterinary surgery : VS.
- Kragness, B.J., Graham, J.E., Bedenice, D., Restifo, M.M., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Surgical correction of a cervical spinal fracture in a bennett's wallaby (Macropus Rufogriseus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine.
- DeTora, M.D., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Complex angular and torsional deformities (Distal femoral malunions): Preoperative planning using stereolithography and surgical correction with locking plate fixation in four dogs. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Singh, H., Kowaleski, M.P., McCarthy, R.J., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. A comparative study of the dorsolateral and ventrolateral approaches for repair of canine sacroiliac luxation. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Leonard, K.C., Kowaleski, M.P., Saunders, W.B., McCarthy, R.J., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Combined tibial plateau levelling osteotomy and tibial tuberosity transposition for treatment of cranial cruciate ligament insufficiency with concomitant medial patellar luxation. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Gibert, S., Kowaleski, M.P., Matthys, R., Nützi, R., Serck, B., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Biomechanical comparison of pin and tension-band wire fixation with a prototype locking plate fixation in a transverse canine patellar fracture model. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Boudrieau, R.J. 2015. Initial Experience With rhBMP-2 Delivered in a Compressive Resistant Matrix for Mandibular Reconstruction in 5 Dogs. Veterinary Surgery.
- Gibert, S., Ragetly, G.R., Boudrieau, R.J. 2015. Locking compression plate stabilization of 20 distal radial and ulnar fractures in toy and miniature breed dogs. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Vezzoni, L., Vezzoni, A., Boudrieau, R.J. 2015. Long-Term Outcome of Z√ľrich Cementless Total Hip Arthroplasty in 439 Cases. Veterinary Surgery.
- Illukka, E., Boudrieau, R.J. 2014. Surgical repair of a severely comminuted maxillary fracture in a dog with a titanium locking plate system. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Gornik, K.R., Pirie, C.G., Duker, J.S., Boudrieau, R.J. 2014. Canine multifocal retinopathy caused by a BEST1 mutation in a Boerboel. Veterinary Ophthalmology.
- Boudrieau, R.J. 2013. Tibial Tuberosity Advancement. Advances in the Canine Cranial Cruciate Ligament.
- Kowaleski, M.P., Boudrieau, R.J., Beale, B.S., Piras, A., Hulse, D., Johnson, K.A. 2013. Radiographic outcome and complications of tibial plateau leveling osteotomy stabilized with an anatomically contoured locking bone plate. Veterinary Surgery.
- Depaula, K.M., deLaforcade, A.D., King, R.G., Hughs, H., Boudrieau, R.J. 2013. Arterial thrombosis after vehicular trauma and humeral fracture in a dog. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Rothstock, S., Kowaleski, M.P., Boudrieau, R.J., Beale, B.S., Piras, A., Ryan, M., Bouré, L., Brianza, S. 2012. Biomechanical and computational evaluation of two loading transfer concepts for pancarpal arthrodesis in dogs. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
General Research Interests
Clinical orthopedics in general, with a focus on fracture healing and biomechanics. Special interests in total hip arthroplasty, cruciate ligament disease, and mandibular and maxillary trauma.
Selected Research Projects
- Multicenter Clinical Trial - Zurich Cementless THA.
- Cruciate ligament repair techniques - clinical evaluation of TPLO & TTA; experimental evaluation of TPLO & TTA
- Locking plate fixation - experimental evaluation
Research and Clinical Interests
- fracture healing
- mandibular & maxillary trauma
- cruciate ligament disease
- distraction osteogenesis
- total hip arthroplasty
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Osteoarthritis of the elbow, stifle and hip, cruciate ligament repair in dogs, total hip replacement, platelet-rich plasma applications, developmental orthopedic disease
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Bone and Tissue Repair and Regeneration
- Fracture fixation methods, cruciate ligament repair techniques, locking plate fixation, novel therapies for osteoarthritis. Orthopedic surgery research; implant strength and application; fracture repair in dogs and cats
Major Specialized Equipment
- Bone anchor (Securos); 2002 [jointly with Dr. Karl Kraus]