Dr. Michele Keyerleber is an oncologist at Foster Hospital for Small Animals at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University. She is a specialist in radiation oncology, and commonly treats tumors in dog, cats, and other species.
Dr. Keyerleber grew up near Cleveland, Ohio, where she enjoyed riding horses, and playing with the family dogs. She attended veterinary school at Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine in Ithaca, NY. After veterinary school she completed a small animal rotating internship at Ohio State University veterinary school, then returned to Cornell University to complete a residency in radiation oncology.
When she is not at work, Dr. Keyerleber enjoys spending time with her family, travelling, photography, and cheering on her favorite basketball team: Duke University.
- BS - Duke University - 2004
- DVM - Cornell University - 2008
- DACVR (Radiation Oncology)
- McQuown, B., Keyerleber, M.A., Rosen, K., McEntee, M.C., Burgess, K.E. 2017. Treatment of advanced canine anal sac adenocarcinoma with hypofractionated radiation therapy: 77 cases (1999â€“2013). Veterinary and Comparative Oncology.
- Palladino, S., Keyerleber, M.A., King, R.G., Burgess, K.E. 2016. Utility of Computed Tomography versus Abdominal Ultrasound Examination to Identify Iliosacral Lymphadenomegaly in Dogs with Apocrine Gland Adenocarcinoma of the Anal Sac. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- George, R., Smith, A., Schleis, S., Brawner, W., Almond, G., Kent, M., Wypij, J., Borrego, J., Moore, A., Keyerleber, M., Kraiza, S. 2016. Outcome of dogs with intranasal lymphoma treated with various radiation and chemotherapy protocols: 24 cases. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Keyerleber, M.A., Mcentee, M.C., Farrelly, J., Thompson, M.S., Scrivani, P.V., Dewey, C.W. 2015. Three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy alone or in combination with surgery for treatment of canine intracranial meningiomas. Veterinary and Comparative Oncology.
- Aarsvold, S., Reetz, J.A., Reichle, J.K., Jones, I.D., Lamb, C.R., Evola, M.G., Keyerleber, M.A., Marolf, A.J. 2015. Computed tomographic findings in 57 cats with primary pulmonary neoplasia. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Sones, E., Smith, A., Schleis, S., Brawner, W., Almond, G., Taylor, K., Haney, S., Wypij, J., Keyerleber, M., Arthur, J., Hamilton, T., Lawrence, J., Gieger, T., Sellon, R., Wright, Z. 2013. Survival times for canine intranasal sarcomas treated with radiation therapy: 86 cases (1996-2011). Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Keyerleber, M.A., Gieger, T.L., Erb, H.N., Thompson, M.S., Mcentee, M.C. 2012. Three-dimensional conformal versus non-graphic radiation treatment planning for apocrine gland adenocarcinoma of the anal sac in 18 dogs (2002-2007). Veterinary and Comparative Oncology.
- Keyerleber, M.A., Mcentee, M.C., Farrelly, J., Podgorsak, M. 2012. Completeness of reporting of radiation therapy planning, dose, and delivery in veterinary radiation oncology manuscripts from 2005 to 2010. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
Selected Research Projects
- 3D Conformal Definitive Radiation Therapy for Canine Meningiomas
Research and Clinical Interests
- Palliative Radiation Therapy
- Radiation Treatment Planning
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Lymphoma, osteosarcoma, transitional cell carcinoma, prostatic cancer, hemangiosarcoma, mammary (breast) cancer, squamous cell carcinoma in cats
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Oncology and Cancer Research and Clinical Trials
- Development of radiation treatment protocols for neoplasia in dogs and cats, brain tumors, palliative radiation therapy.
Major Specialized Equipment
- Siemens Primus Linear Accelerator
- Strontium-90 Plesiotherapy