Internal Medicine, Small Animal Medicine
Dr. Michael Stone is an internal medicine veterinarian who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of problems affecting dogs and cats. He also teaches clinical skills and mentors students, interns and residents in diagnostic techniques and is board-certified by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
He was attracted to the field from a young age, after his pet cat was severely injured by a dog attack, and says,
I remember that sad event to this day. After receiving his bachelor's from Michigan State University, Dr. Stone went into private practice but after three years realized he wanted to become a specialist.
Tufts was the hospital to which I referred my difficult cases, he says,
so it was natural for me to want to train there. After residency he worked as an assistant professor at the Ontario Veterinary College and then in private practice prior to returning to Tufts in 2000.
At the Cummings School, Dr. Stone teaches clinical skills for first-year students and conducts classroom lectures for third-year students. However, he says his
passion is for case-based teaching, which I do with the fourth (final) year students.
As for memorable experiences, Dr. Stone relates a chance encounter he had with a client of the Foster Hospital for Small Animals, someone who didn't realize he was the vet who had treated his dog.
He said he was very pleased with his dog's visit to Tufts and said how much his wife loved the veterinarian they had, Dr. Stone says.
He relayed how his dog had previously seen multiple veterinarians and was now cured after we endoscopically removed a piece of rawhide lodged in his stomach. After a few questions it turned out that I had actually been the attending veterinarian. We both laughed.
In his spare time, Dr. Stone enjoys tennis, skiing, biking and most outdoor activities. He lives with his wife, Joan, their children Alyssa and Victoria and one elderly cat, Tiger Kitty (Tiki).
- DVM - Michigan State University - 1984
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Small Animal Internal Medicine)
- Lewis M, Stone M. Iron Deficiency Anaemia. In: BSAVA Manual of Haematology and Transfusion Medicine, 2010.
- Stone M. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. In: Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2010.
- Stone M. Systemic Lupus Erythamatosus. Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia. In: Clinical Veterinary Advisor, 2011.
- Stone M. Systemic Immune-Mediated Diseases. In: Saunders Manual of Small Animal Practice, 2006.
Research Interests by Area
Other Areas of Research
- Small Animal Medicine clinical research, infectious tick-borne diseases such as borreliosis, anaplasmosis