As a member of the Foster Hospital for Small Animals' surgical team,Dr. Michael Kowaleski specializes in joint replacement, arthroscopy, stifle (knee) surgery, corrective osteotomy and fracture treatments. Although his most common patients are dogs and cats, he occasionally operates on exotic animals and, most recently, camelids such as alpacas. He serves as the course director for
Principles of Surgery for second-year veterinary students and for an orthopedic elective in the third year, teaches small animal surgery for third-year students and serves as a facilitator for the school's Problem Based Learning course for first year students.
Dr. Kowaleski is a home-grown talent from a family of veterinarians. He grew up in nearby Sterling, Massachusetts and his father and sister are both veterinarians. He attended the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine for his DVM studies and completed the dual residency in surgery at Tufts and Angell Animal Medical Center.
The practice of medicine has always intrigued me, Dr. Kowaleski says.
I have always been adept at taking things apart and repairing them; thus surgery is a very good fit for me.
Prior to joining the faculty at the Cummings School, Dr. Kowaleski was an assistant professor, then associate professor, of orthopedic surgery at The Ohio State University. He has enjoyed the demanding caseload here, as well as the opportunity to work on unique cases. Recently, he teamed up with the surgical team at the school's Hospital for Large Animals to treat an alpaca with patellar luxation (looseness in the kneecap). In 2008, Dr. Kowaleski also adapted human instrumentation and implants to fix a middle-aged cocker spaniel with a poorly healing fracture in its elbow.
Dr. Kowaleski also enjoys participating in the school's clinical and basic science research projects (please see Dr.Kowaleski's academic profile for the latest research publications) and travels nationally and internationally to present on the latest surgical techniques.
Dr. Kowaleski and his wife, Lisa, have two young sons and enjoy boating, sailing, fishing, skiing and rock climbing.
- Surgical Residency - Tufts University/Angell Memorial Animal Hospital - 1999-2002
- DVM - Tufts University - 1993
- BS - University of Massachusetts at Amherst (Summa Cum Laude) - 1989
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Birks, R.R., Kowaleski, M.P. 2018. Combined Tibial Plateau Levelling Osteotomy and Tibial Tuberosity Transposition: An Ex Vivo Mechanical Study. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Mostafa, A.A., Cunningham, D.P., Boudrieau, R.J., Kowaleski, M.P., Griffon, D.J. 2018. Influence of radiographic techniques on the measurement of femoral anteversion angles and a conformation score of pelvic limbs in Labrador retrievers. Veterinary Surgery.
- DiVincenzo, M.J., Frydman, G.H., Kowaleski, M.P., Vanderburg, C.R., Lai, B., Oura, T.J., Jennings, S.H. 2017. Metallosis in a Dog as a Long-Term Complication Following Total Hip Arthroplasty. Veterinary Pathology.
- Brower, B.E., Kowaleski, M.P., Peruski, A.M., Pozzi, A., Dyce, J., Johnson, K.A., Boudrieau, R.J. 2017. Distal femoral lateral closing wedge osteotomy as a component of comprehensive treatment of medial patellar luxation and distal femoral varus in dogs. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Mariano, A.D., Kowaleski, M.P., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Novel TPLO alignment jig/saw guide reproduces freehand and ideal osteotomy positions. PLoS ONE.
- Nesser, V.E., Kowaleski, M.P., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Severe Polyethylene Wear Requiring Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty in Three Dogs. Veterinary surgery : VS.
- Singh, H., Kowaleski, M.P., McCarthy, R.J., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. A comparative study of the dorsolateral and ventrolateral approaches for repair of canine sacroiliac luxation. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Ficklin, M.G., Kowaleski, M.P., Kunkel, K.A.R., Suber, J.T. 2016. One-stage revision of an infected cementless total hip replacement. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Ficklin, M.G., Kunkel, K.A.R., Suber, J.T., Gerard, P.D., Kowaleski, M.P. 2016. Biomechanical evaluation of polymethyl methacrylate with the addition of various doses of cefazolin, vancomycin, gentamicin, and silver microparticles. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Leonard, K.C., Kowaleski, M.P., Saunders, W.B., McCarthy, R.J., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Combined tibial plateau levelling osteotomy and tibial tuberosity transposition for treatment of cranial cruciate ligament insufficiency with concomitant medial patellar luxation. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Gibert, S., Kowaleski, M.P., Matthys, R., Nützi, R., Serck, B., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Biomechanical comparison of pin and tension-band wire fixation with a prototype locking plate fixation in a transverse canine patellar fracture model. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Becker, W., Kowaleski, M.P., McCarthy, R.J., Blake, C.A. 2015. Extracorporeal shockwave therapy for shoulder lameness in dogs. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Farrell, M., Heller, J., Solano, M., Fitzpatrick, N., Sparrow, T., Kowaleski, M. 2014. Does Radiographic Arthrosis Correlate With Cartilage Pathology in Labrador Retrievers Affected by Medial Coronoid Process Disease?. Veterinary Surgery.
- Abuja, G.A., Kowaleski, M.P., García-López, J.M. 2014. Management of bilateral patellar luxation in an Alpaca. Veterinary Surgery.
- Kowaleski, M.P., Boudrieau, R.J., Beale, B.S., Piras, A., Hulse, D., Johnson, K.A. 2013. Radiographic outcome and complications of tibial plateau leveling osteotomy stabilized with an anatomically contoured locking bone plate. Veterinary Surgery.
- Gauthier, C.M., Kowaleski, M.P., Gerard, P.D., Rovesti, G.L. 2013. Comparison of the axial stiffness of carbon composite and aluminium alloy circular external skeletal fixator rings. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Kowaleski, M.P. 2013. Biomechanical Considerations in Total Hip Replacement. Advances in Small Animal Total Joint Replacement.
- Ehrhart, N., Kowaleski, M., Van Ryssen, B., Pozzi, A. 2013. The World Veterinary Orthopaedic Congress:"synergy in action". Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Jha, S., Kowaleski, M.P. 2012. Mechanical Analysis of Twelve Toggle Suture Constructs for Stabilization of Coxofemoral Luxations. Veterinary Surgery.
- Rothstock, S., Kowaleski, M.P., Boudrieau, R.J., Beale, B.S., Piras, A., Ryan, M., Bouré, L., Brianza, S. 2012. Biomechanical and computational evaluation of two loading transfer concepts for pancarpal arthrodesis in dogs. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
General Research Interests
- Clinical orthopedics, with a focus on total joint replacement
- Fracture healing
- Implant design
- Biomechanics and the role of osteotomy in the treatment of joint disease
Selected Research Projects
- Biomechanical evaluation of TPLO and TTA
- Initial stability of BFX™ cementless total hip replacment
- Radiological assessment of limb alignment
- Experimental evaluation of locking plate fixation
Research and Clinical Interests
- Total joint replacement
- Fracture healing
- Implant design
- Cruciate ligament disease
- Gait analysis
- Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
- Principles of Surgery - Course Director
- Spay Lab
- Orthopedic Surgery - Clinical Rotation
- Orthopedic Elective
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Osteoarthritis of the elbow, stifle and hip, cruciate ligament repair in dogs, total hip replacement, platelet-rich plasma applications, developmental orthopedic disease
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Bone and Tissue Repair and Regeneration
- Biomechanics and the role of osteotomy in the treatment of joint disease, novel therapies for osteoarthritis. Orthopedic surgery research; spontaneous animal disease models for evaluating response to osteoarthritis treatments, fracture repair and implants, implant design, strength and application
Major Specialized Equipment
- Instron Model 8511 servohydraulic materials testing device
- Toshiba Acquilion 16 slice CT
- Siemens Symphony 1.5 Tesla MRI
- Digital high-resolution gamma camera (IS2 NuCamma Enhanced Technologies, Dallas/Fort Worth, TX)
- AMTI dual platform force plate gait analysis system
- Comprehensive surgical facilities
- Media center
- Clinical pathology and pathology facilities complement the environment
House Officer Training
- Rotating Internship
- ACVS Resident
- ECVS Resident