Internal Medicine, Equine Respiratory System, Lung Function
Dr. Melissa Mazan is a Professor at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine's Hospital for Large Animals. Lung function, she notes, is essential to the success of equine athletes, and optimizing performance for competing horses is a particular thrill for her. Dr. Mazan is proudest of the collaboration she has undertaken with Dr.Andrew Hoffman in the area of equine inflammatory airway disease, which affects as many as 80 percent of stabled horses and has provided pathways to better understanding similar human diseases, such as emphysema.
Dr. Mazan also teaches courses on medicine, toxicology, parasitology, and exercise physiology at the Cummings School, where she was drawn by the opportunity to combine research, clinical work, and teaching.
Dr. Mazan enjoys hiking, playing the piano, and spending time with family and friends. She is married to Edward Deveney, a physicist who teaches at Bridgewater State College. They have two daughters, Chloe and Rae. They also share their house with two cats and a dog. Dr. Mazan and her family reside in North Grafton, Massachusetts.
- DVM - Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine - 1993
- BA - Yale University - 1983
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Mazan, M.R. 2018. Lower Airway Disease in the Athletic Horse. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Equine Practice.
- Mazan, M.R., Kay, G., Souhail, M.L., Bubeck, K., Jenei, T., Merriam, J. 2017. Patients without borders: Using telehealth to provide an international experience in veterinary global health for veterinary students. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Viner, M., Mazan, M., Bedenice, D., Mapes, S., Pusterla, N. 2017. Comparison of Serum Amyloid A in Horses With Infectious and Noninfectious Respiratory Diseases. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science.
- Houtsma, A., Bedenice, D., Pusterla, N., Pugliese, B., Mapes, S., Hoffman, A.M., Paxson, J., Rozanski, E., Mukherjee, J., Wigley, M., Mazan, M.R. 2015. Association between inflammatory airway disease of horses and exposure to respiratory viruses: A case control study. Multidisciplinary Respiratory Medicine.
- Mazan, M.R. 2015. Update on noninfectious inflammatory diseases of the lower airway. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Equine Practice.
- Restifo, M.M., Bedenice, D., Thane, K.E., Mazan, M.R. 2015. Cavitary Effusion Associated with Anaplasma phagocytophilum Infection in 2 Equids. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Bellas, E., Rollins, A., Moreau, J.E., Lo, T., Quinn, K.P., Fourligas, N., Georgakoudi, I., Leisk, G.G., Mazan, M., Thane, K.E., Taeymans, O., Hoffman, A.M., Kaplan, D.L., Kirker-Head, C.A. 2015. Equine model for soft-tissue regeneration. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research - Part B Applied Biomaterials.
- Mazan, M.R., Ceresia, M.L. 2014. Clinical pharmacology of the respiratory system. Equine Pharmacology.
- Pacheco, A.P., Paradis, M.R., Hoffman, A.M., Hermida, P., Sanchez, A., Nadeau, J.A., Tufts, M., Mazan, M.R. 2014. Age effects on blood gas, spirometry, airway reactivity, and bronchoalveolar lavage fluid cytology in clinically healthy horses. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Mazan, M.R., Lascola, K., Bruns, S.J., Hoffman, A.M. 2014. Use of a novel one-nostril mask-spacer device to evaluate airway hyperresponsiveness (AHR) in horses after chronic administration of albuterol. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Eisenhauer, P., Earle, B., Loi, R., Sueblinvong, V., Goodwin, M., Allen, G.B., Lundblad, L., Mazan, M.R., Hoffman, A.M., Weiss, D.J. 2013. Endogenous distal airway progenitor cells, lung mechanics, and disproportionate lobar growth following long-term postpneumonectomy in mice. Stem Cells.
- Ingenito, E.P., Tsai, L., Murthy, S., Tyagi, S., Mazan, M., Hoffman, A. 2012. Autologous lung-derived mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in experimental emphysema. Cell Transplantation.
- Pacheco, A.P., Bedenice, D., Mazan, M.R., Hoffman, A.M. 2012. Respiratory mechanics and results of cytologic examination of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in healthy adult alpacas. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Hoffman, A.M., Paxson, J.A., Mazan, M.R., Davis, A.M., Tyagi, S., Murthy, S., Ingenito, E.P. 2011. Lung-derived mesenchymal stromal cell post-transplantation survival, persistence, paracrine expression, and repair of elastase-injured lung. Stem Cells and Development.
- Paxson, J.A., Gruntman, A., Parkin, C.D., Mazan, M.R., Davis, A., Ingenito, E.P., Hoffman, A.M. 2011. Age-dependent decline in mouse lung regeneration with loss of lung fibroblast clonogenicity and increased myofibroblastic differentiation. PLoS ONE.
- Mazan, M.R. 2011. Abnormal breathing. Clinical Veterinary Advisor: The Horse.
- Mazan, M.R. 2011. Inflammatory airway disease. Clinical Veterinary Advisor: The Horse.
- Mazan, M.R., Tizard, I. 2011. Airway obstruction, recurrent. Clinical Veterinary Advisor: The Horse.
- Hoffman, A.M., Shifren, A., Mazan, M.R., Gruntman, A.M., Lascola, K.M., Nolen-Walston, R.D., Kim, C.F., Tsai, L., Pierce, R.A., Mecham, R.P., Ingenito, E.P. 2010. Matrix modulation of compensatory lung regrowth and progenitor cell proliferation in mice. American Journal of Physiology - Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology.
- Paxson, J.A., Parkin, C.D., Iyer, L.K., Mazan, M.R., Ingenito, E.P., Hoffman, A.M. 2009. Global gene expression patterns in the post-pneumonectomy lung of adult mice. Respiratory Research.
General Research Interests
- The equine respiratory system: Pathophysiology of small airway inflammatory disease - airway smooth muscle
- Effects of particulate matter air pollution on equine respiratory disease
- Resting energy in horses with recurrent airway obstruction
- Non-invasive lung function testing
- Stem cell applications in equine internal medicine
- Role of the trophic macrophage in lung regeneration
- Director of TCSVM/Massachusetts Equine Clinic Large Animal Medicine Internship
- Equine sports medicine, equine exercise physiology, respiratory pathophysiology
Research Interests by Area
- Stem cell applications for respiratory disease and systemic inflammation.
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Airway disease in horses, COPD, regenerative medicine
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
- Dynamics of bronchioalveolar stem cell response to sublethal hyperoxia and recovery in mice. Respiratory: Role of the macrophage; environmental respiratory disease (animal models); stem cell applications