Diagnostic Imaging, Nuclear Medicine
A veterinarian, radiologist and teacher, Dr. Mauricio Solano is the section head for the Diagnostic Imaging service used by most of the 26,000 annual cases at the Foster Hospital for Small Animals to diagnose their ailments. He balances his time among his clinical and teaching duties, which include working with the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computerized tomography (CT), ultrasound, X-rays and nuclear medicine equipment at the Cummings School.
A lifelong interest in animals drew him to pursue a degree in veterinary medicine at Bogota, Colombia's Universidad deLaSalle, followed by graduate work in anatomy at the University of Georgia. However, it was during his residency here at the Cummings School that he truly developed a love for diagnostic imaging.
Access to all imaging technologies here allowed me to put in practice what I learned in graduate school, he says.
Dr. Solano has a particular interest in the imaging of marine animals, and has performed imaging studies on sea turtles, dolphins and other aquatic creatures.
Not too many people get the opportunity to provide expertise on radiographs of a dolphin, he says.
I have been that fortunate and the feeling of accomplishment when you help improve the health of such wonderful creatures is priceless. He recently used the hospital's new CT scanner to diagnose pneumonia in one of the rarest marine turtles, which allowed her to be treated and released back into the wild off the coast of Cape Cod.
Dr. Solano teaches in all four years of the veterinary curriculum, ranging from anatomy in the first year to ultrasound in the third. His love of teaching is matched by his affection for the Cummings School—a place that always strives to practice the best available medicine, he says.
- Radiology Residency (1991-1994) - Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine
- Graduate Program (1988-1991) - University of Georgia, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Medicine (1980-1986) - Universidad de LaSalle, Bogota, Colombia
- American College of Veterinary Radiology
- Aarsvold, S., Solano, M., Garcia-Lopez, J. 2018. Magnetic resonance imaging following regional limb perfusion of gadolinium contrast medium in 26 horses. Equine Veterinary Journal.
- Mavromatis, M.V., Solano, M., Thelen, M.Y. 2018. Utility of two-view vs. three-view abdominal radiography in canines presenting with acute abdominal signs. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Martell-Moran, N.K., Solano, M., Townsend, H.G.G. 2018. Pain and adverse behavior in declawed cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Orbach, D.N., Kelly, D.A., Solano, M., Brennan, P.L.R. 2017. Genital interactions during simulated copulation among marine mammals. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences.
- Graham, S., Solano, M., Sutherland-Smith, J., Sato, A.F., Maranda, L. 2015. Diagnostic sensitivity of bone scintigraphy for equine stifle disorders. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Lobo, D., Solano, M., Bubenik, G.A., Levin, M. 2014. A linear-encoding model explains the variability of the target morphology in regeneration. Journal of the Royal Society Interface.
- Ivančić, M., Solano, M., Smith, C.R. 2014. Computed tomography and cross-sectional anatomy of the thorax of the live bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus). Anatomical Record.
- Stockman, J., Innis, C.J., Solano, M., Brisson, J.O., Kass, P.H., Tlusty, M.F., Scott Weber III, E. 2013. Prevalence, distribution, and progression of radiographic abnormalities in the lungs of cold-stunned Kemp's ridley sea turtles (Lepidochelys kempii): 89 cases (2002-2005). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Smith, C.R., Solano, M., Lutmerding, B.A., Johnson, S.P., Meegan, J.M., Le-Bert, C.R., Emory-Gomez, F., Cassle, S., Carlin, K., Jensen, E.D. 2012. Pulmonary ultrasound findings in a bottlenose dolphin Tursiops truncatus population. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms.
- Holowinski, M.E., Solano, M., Maranda, L., García-López, J.M. 2012. Magnetic resonance imaging of navicular bursa adhesions. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Kleine, L.G., Solano, M., Rusckowski, M., Hunt, K.E., Johnson, K.L., Kirker-Head, C.A. 2008. Evaluation of technetium 99mTc-labeled biotin for scintigraphic detection of soft tissue inflammation in horses | Auswertung von szintigraphien nach gabe von technetium 99mTc- gekennzeichnetem biotin zur feststellung von entzÃ¼ndungen der weichteilgewebe bei pferden. Pferdeheilkunde.
- Solano, M., Innis, C., Smith, C., Merigo, C., Weber III, E.S. 2008. Scintigraphic and radiographic evaluation of appendicular skeletal lesions in cold-stunned kemp's ridley sea turtles. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Kleine, L.G., Solano, M., Rusckowski, M., Hunt, K.E., Johnson, K.L., Kirker-Head, C.A. 2008. Evaluation of technetium Tc 99m-labeled biotin for scintigraphic detection of soft tissue inflammation in horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Feigin, K., Mayer, J., Solano, M. 2006. What is your diagnosis?. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Solano, M. 2005. Diagnostic imaging of the ear. Small Animal Ear Diseases.
- Solano, M., Welcome, J., Johnson, K. 2005. Effects of acepromazine on three-phase 99MTc-MDP bone imaging in 11 horses. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Sato, A.F., Solano, M. 2004. Ultrasonographic findings in abdominal mast cell disease: A retrospective study of 19 patients. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Bedenice, D., Heuwieser, W., Solano, M., Rand, W., Paradis, M.R. 2003. Risk Factors and Prognostic Variables for Survival of Foals with Radiographic Evidence of Pulmonary Disease. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Bedenice, D., Heuwieser, W., Brawer, R., Solano, M., Rand, W., Paradis, M.R. 2003. Clinical and Prognostic Significance of Radiographic Pattern, Distribution, and Severity of Thoracic Radiographic Changes in Neonatal Foals. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Schwarz, L.A., Solano, M., Manning, A., Marini, R.P., Fox, J.G. 2003. The normal upper gastrointestinal examination in the ferret. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
General Research Interests
- Nuclear medicine: Imaging of infection, staging of neoplasia, clinical use of novel radiopharmaceuticals
- Diagnostic imaging of marine animals
- Dr. Solano has a general clinical interest in MRI, Ultrasound, Radiology, and CT and also enjoys teaching all aspects of clinical diagnostic imaging to veterinary students and private practitioners
- Diagnostic Imaging (musculoskeletal lectures)
- Anatomy (basics of radiology)
- Neurology (MRI of the brain & spine)
- Musculoskeletal pathobiology (radiology of infection, trauma, and developmental diseases)
- PBL (2nd year)
Research Interests by Area
Other Areas of Research
- Nuclear scintigraphy, clinical diagnostic imaging, marine animal imaging
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Use of diagnostic imaging for spontaneous animal disease: CT, MRI, nuclear scintigraphy