Oncology, Medical Oncology
A board-certified oncologist, Dr. Lisa Barber specializes in treating dogs and cats with a variety of cancers. She also consults on large animals such as horses, as well as exotic animals. In addition, she conducts clinical trials to evaluate new cancer treatments and trains residents in clinical oncology.
Growing up in New York City, Dr. Barber did not have the opportunity to have many pets of her own. But she was always being the first to volunteer to take home the class gerbils, hamsters and a sundry of other animals during school vacations. Her curiosity about animals led her to pursue a veterinary degree at The Ohio State University. She served as a staff oncologist at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine prior to joining the faculty at Tufts. The long tradition of innovative clinical research in veterinary oncology and its location in a hub of biomedical research centers first attracted her to Tufts.
In addition to her clinical and research duties, Dr. Barber lectures on a variety of cancer-related topics throughout the veterinary curriculum, including a lecture on Evidence-Based Medicine. I enjoy the diversity that an academic environment provides, she says, “One day can be spent helping to design an international clinical trial of a new drug to fight cancer and the next day helping a student to master a basic medical procedure.”
Nonetheless, Dr. Barber considers caring for pets the most rewarding aspect of her job. She claims that it is easy to remember the spectacular cases in which patients beat long odds, but the more modest everyday victories of cancer treatment that provide families with more high-quality time with their pets that brings her to work each day.
- DVM - Ohio State University - 1992
- BA - Swarthmore College
- Board Certification ACVIM, Specialty of Oncology
- Kezer, K.A., Barber, L.G., Jennings, S.H. 2018. Efficacy of dacarbazine as a rescue agent for histiocytic sarcoma in dogs. Veterinary and Comparative Oncology.
- Marker, B.A., Barber, L.G., Clifford, C.A., Correa, S.S., Thalhofer, P.L., LaDue, T.A., Mullin, C.M., Sauerbrey, M.L., Wood, C.C. 2017. Extravasation reactions associated with the administration of pamidronate: 11 cases (2008â2013). Veterinary and Comparative Oncology.
- Pierro, J., Krick, E., Flory, A., Regan, R., DeRegis, C., Boudreaux, B., Barber, L., Saam, D., Saba, C. 2017. Febrile neutropenia in cats treated with chemotherapy. Veterinary and Comparative Oncology.
- Falk, E.F., Lam, A.T.H., Barber, L.G., Ferrer, L. 2017. Clinical characteristics of doxorubicin-associated alopecia in 28 dogs. Veterinary Dermatology.
- Barber, L.G., Weishaar, K.M. 2016. Criteria for designation of clinical substage in canine lymphoma: a survey of veterinary oncologists. Veterinary and Comparative Oncology.
- Romano, F.R., Heinze, C.R., Barber, L.G., Mason, J.B., Freeman, L.M. 2016. Association between Body Condition Score and Cancer Prognosis in Dogs with Lymphoma and Osteosarcoma. Journal of veterinary internal medicine.
- Hohenhaus, A.E., Kelsey, J.L., Haddad, J., Barber, L., Palmisano, M., Farrelly, J., Soucy, A. 2016. Canine cutaneous and subcutaneous soft tissue sarcoma: An evidence-based review of case management. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Paoloni, M., Mazcko, C., Selting, K., Lana, S., Barber, L., Phillips, J., Skorupski, K., Vail, D., Wilson, H., Biller, B., Avery, A., Kiupel, M., Le Blanc, A., Bernhardt, A., Brunkhorst, B., Tighe, R., Khanna, C. 2015. Defining the pharmacodynamic profile and therapeutic index of NHS-IL12 immunocytokine in dogs with malignant melanoma. PLoS ONE.
- Gornik, K.R., Pirie, C.G., Barber, L.G., Beamer, G.L. 2015. Ocular Lymphangiosarcoma in a Horse. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science.
- Hobbs, J., Sutherland-Smith, J., Penninck, D., Jennings, S., Barber, L., Barton, B. 2015. Ultrasonographic features of canine gastrointestinal stromal tumors compared to other gastrointestinal spindle cell tumors. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Tonomura, N., Elvers, I., Thomas, R., Megquier, K., Turner-Maier, J., Howald, C., Sarver, A.L., Swofford, R., Frantz, A.M., Ito, D., Mauceli, E., Arendt, M., Noh, H.J., Koltookian, M., Biagi, T., Fryc, S., Williams, C., Avery, A.C., Kim, J.-H., Barber, L., Burgess, K., Lander, E.S., Karlsson, E.K., Azuma, C., Modiano, J.F., Breen, M., Lindblad-Toh, K. 2015. Genome-wide Association Study Identifies Shared Risk Loci Common to Two Malignancies in Golden Retrievers. PLoS Genetics.
- Sivacolundhu, R.K., Runge, J.J., Donovan, T.A., Barber, L.G., Saba, C.F., Clifford, C.A., de Lorimier, L.-P., Atwater, S.W., Dibernardi, L., Freeman, K.P., Bergman, P.J. 2013. Ulnar osteosarcoma in dogs: 30 cases (1992-2008). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Vail, D.M., von Euler, H., Rusk, A.W., Barber, L., Clifford, C., Elmslie, R., Fulton, L., Hirschberger, J., Klein, M., London, C., Martano, M., McNiel, E.A., Morris, J.S., Northrup, N., Phillips, B., Polton, G., Post, G., Rosenberg, M., Ruslander, D., Sahora, A., Siegel, S., Thamm, D., Westberg, S., Winter, J., Khanna, C. 2012. A Randomized Trial Investigating the Efficacy and Safety of Water Soluble Micellar Paclitaxel (Paccal Vet) for Treatment of Nonresectable Grade 2 or 3 Mast Cell Tumors in Dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Takashima-Uebelhoer, B.B., Barber, L.G., Zagarins, S.E., Procter-Gray, E., Gollenberg, A.L., Moore, A.S., Bertone-Johnson, E.R. 2012. Household chemical exposures and the risk of canine malignant lymphoma, a model for human non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Environmental Research.
- Rau, S.E., Barber, L.G., Burgess, K.E. 2010. Efficacy of Maropitant in the Prevention of Delayed Vomiting Associated with Administration of Doxorubicin to Dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Griessmayr, P.C., Payne, S.E., Winter, J.E., Barber, L.G., Shofer, F.S. 2009. Dacarbazine as single-agent therapy for relapsed lymphoma in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Winter, J.L., Barber, L.G., Freeman, L., Griessmayr, P.C., Milbury, P.E., Blumberg, J.B. 2009. Antioxidant status and biomarkers of oxidative stress in dogs with lymphoma. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Gauthier, M., Barber, L.G., Burgess, K.E. 2009. Identifying and treating anal sac adenocarcinoma in dogs. Veterinary Medicine.
- McNeill, C.J., Sorenmo, K.U., Shofer, F.S., Gibeon, L., Durham, A.C., Barber, L.G., Baez, J.L., Overley, B. 2009. Evaluation of adjuvant doxorubicin-based chemotherapy for the treatment of feline mammary carcinoma. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Bertone-Johnson, E.R., Procter-Gray, E., Gollenberg, A.L., Ryan, M.B., Barber, L.G. 2008. Environmental tobacco smoke and canine urinary cotinine level. Environmental Research.
General Research Interests
- Medical Oncology
Research and Clinical Interests
- Novel approaches and investigational agents for the treatment of cancer
- Epidemiology of cancer
- Palliative care in veterinary cancer patients
- Biology and treatment of canine thyroid tumors
- Basic and Clinical Pharmacology of Chemotherapy Agents
- Small Animal Medicine & Surgery - Oncology
- Evidence-Based Medicine - Lymphoma
- Clinical Reasoning
- Problem Based Learning
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Epidemiology and risk factors for canine lymphoma and mast cell tumors, prognostic factors and novel therapies for canine lymphoma, osteosarcoma and mast cell tumors, metronomic chemotherapy and markers of biologic effects.
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Oncology and Cancer Research and Clinical Trials
- Lymphoma, osteosarcoma, thyroid tumors, hemangiosarcoma, mammary (breast) cancer, squamous cell carcinoma in cats