Associate Professor Emerita
A board-certified specialist in small animal internal medicine, Dr. Linda Ross handles all kinds of small animal cases, but her special interest is nephrology, urology and endocrinology. She teaches courses in the pathophysiology of the urinary and endocrine systems as well as nephrology/urology and endocrinology in the small animal medicine and surgery course.
Dr. Ross grew up in a suburb of Chicago. When she was very young, her grandfather owned a dairy farm in Wisconsin that her family visited. The visits fostered a life ambition to own a farm. She later channeled that experience into becoming a veterinarian.
Shortly after completing her residency, Dr. Ross came to Tufts as one of its first faculty members. She had done an internship in New England, loved the area, and enjoyed the challenge of helping to develop a new veterinary school. Dr. Ross most enjoys teaching and being with
the many great and committed people who work here at the Cummings School, she says.
Dr. Ross also handles dialysis for dogs and cats in acute kidney failure.
It is very gratifying to be able to provide this sophisticated treatment and help animals survive that would otherwise likely die, she says. Dr. Ross also performs other specialized procedures for diseases of the kidneys and bladder. For example, cystoscopy involves passing a small camera into the urinary bladder to look for abnormalities, take biopsies and perform other procedures.
It's a great technique that allows us to make a diagnosis without surgery, she says.
One thing we can do with the cystoscope is laser lithotripsy, which is breaking up stones with a laser—a method of treatment that also avoids surgery.
Dr. Ross was elected to the Cummings School's Faculty Hall of Fame several years ago, an honor that means a great deal to her.
- DVM - University of Illinois - 1974
- MS - University of Georgia - 1980
- ACVIM (SA Internal Medicine)
- Daure, E., Ross, L., Webster, C.R.L. 2017. Gastroduodenal ulceration in small animals: Part 2. Proton pump inhibitors and histamine-2 receptor antagonists. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Daure, E., Ross, L., Webster, C.R.L. 2017. Gastroduodenal ulceration in small animals: Part 1. Pathophysiology and epidemiology. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Jardes, D.J., Ross, L.A., Markovich, J.E. 2013. Hemolytic anemia after ingestion of the natural hair dye lawsonia inermis (henna) in a dog. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Ross, L.A., Labato, M.A. 2013. Current techniques in peritoneal dialysis. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Ross, L.A., Labato, M.A. 2012. Peritoneal Dialysis. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Disorders in Small Animal Practice.
- Markovich, J.E., Ross, L., McCobb, E. 2012. The Prevalence of Leptospiral Antibodies in Free Roaming Cats in Worcester County, Massachusetts. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Ross, L. 2011. Acute Kidney Injury in Dogs and Cats. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Small Animal Practice.
- Ross, L., Jakowski, R., Bolin, C., Kiupel, M. 2009. Retrospective immunohistochemical detection of leptospira in dogs with renal pathology. International Journal of Applied Research in Veterinary Medicine.
- Nolan, B.G., Ross, L.A., Vaccaro, D.E., Groman, E.V., Reinhardt, C.P. 2009. Estimation of glomerular filtration rate in dogs by plasma clearance of gadolinium diethylenetriamine pentaacetic acid as measured by use of an ELISA. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Rossi, T.A., Ross, L.A. 2008. Diabetes insipidus. Compendium: Continuing Education For Veterinarians.
- Brown, S., Atkins, C., Bagley, R., Carr, A., Cowgill, L., Davidson, M., Egner, B., Elliott, J., Henik, R., Labato, M., Littman, M., Polzin, D., Ross, L., Snyder, P., Stepien, R. 2007. Guidelines for the identification, evaluation, and management of systemic hypertension in dogs and cats. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Ross, L.A., Labato, M.A. 2006. Peritoneal dialysis. Fluid, Electrolyte and Acid-Base Disorders in Small Animal Practice.
- Acierno, M.J., Labato, M.A., Stern, L.C., Mukherjee, J., Jakowski, R.M., Ross, L.A. 2006. Serum concentrations of the third component of complement in healthy dogs and dogs with protein-losing nephropathy. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Ann Dzyban, L., Labato, M.A., Ross, L.A., Murtaugh, R.J. 2000. Peritoneal dialysis: A tool in veterinary critical care. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Rha, J.-Y., Labato, M.A., Ross, L.A., Breitschwerdt, E., Alroy, J. 2000. Familial glomerulonephropathy in a litter of Beagles. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Tidwell, A.S., Ross, L.A., Kleine, L.J. 1997. Computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging of cavernous sinus enlargement in a dog with unilateral exophthalmos. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Ross, L.A. 1992. Hypertension and chronic renal failure.. Seminars in veterinary medicine and surgery (small animal).
- Rentko, V.T., Clark, N., Ross, L.A., Schelling, S.H. 1992. Canine Leptospirosis: A Retrospective Study of 17 Cases. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Labato, M.A., Ross, L.A. 1991. Plasma disappearance of creatinine as a renal function test in the dog. Research in Veterinary Science.
- Ross, L.A., Lamb, C.R. 1990. Reduction of hydronephrosis and hydroureter associated with ectopic ureters in two dogs after ureterovesical anastomosis.. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
General Research Interests
Selected Research Projects
- Evaluation of the safety of extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy in cats.
- Retrospective evaluation of kidney and liver tissue samples for evidence of leptospirosis.
- Assessment of complement C3 levels and antibody-antigen levels in normal dogs and dogs with glomerulonephritis.
Research and Clinical Interests
- Pathophysiology and treatment of renal failure
- Evaluation of renal function
- Laser lithotripsy
- Specialized imaging
- Urodynamic testing
Major Specialized Equipment
- Laser for Lithotripsy
- Urodynamic Tesing Equipment