Hematology, Cytology, Clinical Endocrinology, Clinical Pathology
Clinical Pathology Laboratory Director
Joyce Knoll, VMD, PhD, DAVCP (Clinical Pathology), Chair of the Department of Biomedical Sciences, Director of the Clinical Pathology Laboratory, and a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathology. She took part in the Veterinary Research Scientist Training program at the University of Pennsylvania, earning her veterinary degree in 1984 and her PhD in 1987. She completed a rotating small animal internship at the Angell Memorial Animal Hospital, in Boston, MA, and then did her clinical pathology residency training at the University of Wisconsin, School of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Knoll has been a member of the Cummings faculty for the last 26 years, where she focuses on teaching DVM students in didactic courses and clinical rotations, provides clinical pathology service to the Cummings Veterinary Medical Center, and participates in collaborative research projects revolving around hematology, clinical chemistry, or cytology testing.
- VMD - University of PA - 1984
- PhD - University of PA - 1987
- ACVP (Clinical Pathology Specialty)
- Sharp, S.M., Knoll, J.S., Moore, M.J., Moore, K.M., Harry, C.T., Hoppe, J.M., Niemeyer, M.E., Robinson, I., Rose, K.S., Brian Sharp, W., Rotstein, D. 2014. Hematological, biochemical, and morphological parameters as prognostic indicators for stranded common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) from Cape Cod, Massachusetts, U.S.A.. Marine Mammal Science.
- Gunn-Christie, R.G., Flatland, B., Friedrichs, K.R., Szladovits, B., Harr, K.E., Ruotsalo, K., Knoll, J.S., Wamsley, H.L., Freeman, K.P. 2012. ASVCP quality assurance guidelines: Control of preanalytical, analytical, and postanalytical factors for urinalysis, cytology, and clinical chemistry in veterinary laboratories. Veterinary Clinical Pathology.
- Watson, A.T., Penninck, D., Knoll, J.S., Keating, J.H., Sutherland-Smith, J. 2011. Safety and correlation of test results of combined ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration and needle core biopsy of the canine spleen. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Lanaux, T.M., Rozanski, E.A., Simoni, R.S., Price, L.L., Buckley, G.J., Stockman, C., Knoll, J.S. 2011. Interpretation of canine and feline blood smears by emergency room personnel. Veterinary Clinical Pathology.
- Hunthausen, W.L., Knoll, J.S. 2010. Clinical pathology: What fecal analysis method do you use?. Veterinary Medicine.
- Vandis, M., Knoll, J.S. 2010. Canine circumanal gland adenoma: The cytologic clues. Veterinary Medicine.
- Simoni, R., Knoll, J.S. 2008. Canine transmissible venereal tumor: The cytologic clues. Veterinary Medicine.
- Vandis, M., Knoll, J.S. 2007. Canine dermatophyte infection. Veterinary Medicine.
- Vandis, M., Knoll, J.S. 2007. Cytologic examination of a cutaneous mast cell tumor in a boxer. Veterinary Medicine.
- Shinohara, N., MacGregor, J.M., Calo, A., Rush, J.E., Penninck, D.G., Knoll, J.S. 2005. Presumptive primary cardiac lymphoma in a cat causing pericardial effusion. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology.
- Knoll, J.S., Rowell, S.L. 1996. Clinical hematology in-clinic analysis, quality control, reference values, and system selection. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Small Animal Practice.
- Couëtil, L., Paradis, M.R., Knoll, J. 1996. Plasma adrenocorticotropin concentration in healthy horses and in horses with clinical signs of hyperadrenocorticism. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Friedman, D.S., Schoster, J.V., Pickett, J.P., Dubielzig, R.R., Czuprynski, C., Knoll, J.S., Wolfgram, L.J. 1989. Pseudallescheria boydii keratomycosis in a horse.. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- KIRBY, B.M., KNOLL, J.S., MANLEY, P.A., MILLER, L.M. 1989. Calcinosis Circumscripta Associated with Polydioxanone Suture in Two Young Dogs. Veterinary Surgery.
General Research InterestsI am interested in veterinary hematology, cytology and clinical endocrinology. Previous investigations focused on clinical application and validation of diagnostic tests and/or instrumentation for use with veterinary specimens. I played a role in validation of an ACTH assay for diagnosis of hyperadrenocorticism in horses and ponies. I have also evaluated several automated hematology instruments and some automated hormone assays using a chemiluminescent based system. More recently I have been focused on development of innovative teaching techniques.
Major Specialized Equipment
- Cobas c501 (Roche)
- Advia 120 Hematology Analyzer
- Start4 Coagulation Analyzer
- Cheryl Stockman, Laboratory Supervisor
- Tammi Frank, Medical Technologist
- Ann Blasotto, Medical Technologist
- Beth Underwood, Medical Technologist
- Dianne Noyes, Medical Technologist
- Christine St. Cyr, Medical Technologist
Specialized Capabilities or Interests
- Hematology, Cytology, and Urinalysis
- Continuing Education (Laboratory and on-line courses)
- Veterinary Clinical Chemistry