A fascination with equine athletes and sports medicine drew Dr. Jose Garcia-Lopez to join the faculty of the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and its Hospital for Large Animals, where he specializes in lameness, orthopedic, and respiratory surgery for its equine patients.
In addition to his clinical work, Dr. Garcia-Lopez also serves as a facilitator of the Problem-Based Learning course for first-year veterinary students, as well as contributing to courses in food animal orthopedics and equine musculoskeletal courses.
Dr. Garcia-Lopez's areas of clinical expertise and interests include: lameness with advanced imaging such as nuclear scintigraphy, MRI, CT, and orthopedic surgery as well as upper respiratory surgery, especially procedures using lasers and other emerging techniques. In addition, his area of research expertise includes development and testing of new instrumentation and implants used in equine orthopedic surgery. He continues to improve and develop new techniques and instrumentation which aid in management and treatment of fractures and joint injuries.
Dr. Garcia-Lopez has presented at several national equine health conferences. He has also written chapters for books on the diagnosis and management of equine lameness and limb deformities. He and his wife, fellow Hospital for Large Animals faculty member Dr. Kate Chope, live in nearby Westborough, MA, with their three children, a dog, a cat, and two horses: Henry and Savannah.
- VMD - University of Pennsylvania - 1996
- BS - University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus - 1991
- Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Diplomate American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Bassage LH, García-López JM, Currid EM: Osteolytic lesions of the tuber calcanei in two horses. J Am Vet Med Assn 2000; 217(5): 710-716.
- García-López JM, Provost PJ, Rush JE, Zicker SC, Burmaster H, LM Freeman: Prevalence and prognostic importance of hypomagnesemia and hypocalcemia in horses that have colic surgery. Am J Vet Research 2001; 62(1): 7-12.
- García-López JM, Boudrieau RJ, Provost PJ: Surgical repair of coxofemoral luxation in a horse. J Am Vet Med Assn 2001; 219(9): 1254-1258.
- García-López JM, Kirker-Head CA: Occult Subchondral Osseous Cyst-like Lesions of the Equine Tarso-crural Joint. Vet Surg 2004; 33(5): 557-564.
- Jenei T, García-López JM, Provost PJ, Kirker-Head CA: Surgical Management of Small Intestinal Incarceration through the Gastrosplenic Ligament: 14 Cases (1994-2006). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2007; 231(8): 1221-1224.
General Research Interests
- Equine Orthopedics
- Equine Upper respiratory
- Equine Gastrointestinal Disease
Selected Research Projects
- In-Vitro Evaluation of Heat Generation, Pull-out Strength, and Microfractures for a New Positive Profile Self-Tapping Transfixation Pin for Use in the Equine Third Metacarpal Bone
- In-Vitro Comparison of Temperature Generation Between Traditional Sequential Drilling and a Newly Designed Step Drill in the Equine Third Metacarpal Bone
- In-Vitro Biomechanical Comparison of a New Locking Compression Plate (LCP) with a Limited Contact Dynamic Plate (LCDCP) for Use in the Equine Patient
Research Interests by Area
- Clinical application of stem cells for musculoskeletal disease.
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Fracture repair, tendon and ligament injury, stem cell treatment, developmental orthopedic disease, laminitis
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Bone and Tissue Repair and Regeneration
- Musculoskeletal, arthroscopy, stem cell treatments bone and tendon
Major Specialized Equipment
- Arthroscopy Equipment
- Laparoscopy Equipment
- Nd:YAG and CO2 Lasers
- Video Endoscopy
- High Definition Ultrasound
- High-Speed Treadmill Evaluation
- Extra-Corporeal Shockwave Therapy
- Digital High Resolution Gamma Camera
- Computed Radiography
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Computed Tomography (CT)