Cardiology and Critical Care
As a veterinary cardiologist, Dr. John Rush has a special interest in drug and dietary therapies for the treatment of heart disease in small animals. He also performs many catheter-based procedures (interventional radiology), including the placement of pacemakers, coils and stents. In addition to his clinical duties, Dr. Rush teaches cardiology to second and third-year students and mentors fourth-year students in the Foster Hospital for Small Animals.
Growing up near Cleveland, Dr. Rush had a natural affinity for science and spent a great deal of time at the Lake Erie Nature and Science Center.
I collected insects, and if I had not become a veterinarian I might have been an entomologist, he says. He attended The Ohio State University for his undergraduate and veterinary degrees, then furthered his training in New York and Wisconsin. Drawn to the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine by a love of teaching, he joined the faculty here more than 20 years ago.
He likes the mix of teaching, clinical research, and caring for dogs and cats with heart disease, as well as the motivated and gifted students of the Cummings School. He has served as the primary mentor for two dozen veterinary residents in emergency and critical care and cardiology and has published on topics ranging from heart failure and respiratory distress to quality-of-life issues for pets.
Off-campus, Dr. Rush is very involved with both the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine and the American College of Emergency and Critical Care, and he is a diplomate of both societies. He has three dogs and counts home improvement as his favorite pastime.
- DVM - Ohio State University - 1984
- MS - Ohio State University - 1984
- Cardiology (ACVIM)
- Emergency and Critical Care (ACVECC)
- Yang, V.K., Rush, J.E., Bhasin, S., Wagers, A.J., Lee, R.T. 2019. Plasma growth differentiation factors 8 and 11 levels in cats with congestive heart failure secondary to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology.
- Keene, B.W., Atkins, C.E., Bonagura, J.D., Fox, P.R., Häggström, J., Fuentes, V.L., Oyama, M.A., Rush, J.E., Stepien, R., Uechi, M. 2019. ACVIM consensus guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of myxomatous mitral valve disease in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Karlin, E.T., Rush, J.E., Nobrega, E.A. 2019. Synchronous diaphragmatic contraction associated with dual-chamber transvenous pacing in a dog. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology.
- Ineson, D.L., Freeman, L.M., Rush, J.E. 2019. Clinical and laboratory findings and survival time associated with cardiac cachexia in dogs with congestive heart failure. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Karlin, E.T., Rush, J.E., Freeman, L.M. 2019. A pilot study investigating circulating trimethylamine N-oxide and its precursors in dogs with degenerative mitral valve disease with or without congestive heart failure. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Loughran, K.A., Rush, J.E., Rozanski, E.A., Oyama, M.A., Larouche-Lebel, É., Kraus, M.S. 2019. The use of focused cardiac ultrasound to screen for occult heart disease in asymptomatic cats. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Freeman, L.M., Stern, J.A., Fries, R., Adin, D.B., Rush, J.E. 2018. Diet-associated dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs: what do we know?. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Freeman, L.M., Rush, J.E., Helburn, A.M. 2018. Validation of a Health-related Quality of Life (QoL) Questionnaire for Owners of Dogs with Heart Disease. Anthrozoos.
- Licht, N., Rozanski, E.A., Rush, J.E. 2018. Vasopressor use in 41 critically ill cats (2007-2016). Canadian Veterinary Journal.
- Freeman, L.M., Sutherland-Smith, J., Cummings, C., Rush, J.E. 2018. Evaluation of a quantitatively derived value for assessment of muscle mass in clinically normal cats. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Cunningham, S.M., Aona, B.D., Antoon, K., Rush, J.E., Barton, B.A. 2018. Echocardiographic assessment of right ventricular systolic function in Boxers with arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology.
- Beaumier, A., Rush, J.E., Yang, V.K., Freeman, L.M. 2018. Clinical findings and survival time in dogs with advanced heart failure. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Fox, P.R., Keene, B.W., Lamb, K., Schober, K.A., Chetboul, V., Luis Fuentes, V., Wess, G., Payne, J.R., Hogan, D.F., Motsinger-Reif, A., Häggström, J., Trehiou-Sechi, E., Fine-Ferreira, D.M., Nakamura, R.K., Lee, P.M., Singh, M.K., Ware, W.A., Abbott, J.A., Culshaw, G., Riesen, S., Borgarelli, M., Lesser, M.B., Van Israël, N., Côté, E., Rush, J.E., Bulmer, B., Santilli, R.A., Vollmar, A.C., Bossbaly, M.J., Quick, N., Bussadori, C., Bright, J.M., Estrada, A.H., Ohad, D.G., Fernández-Del Palacio, M.J., Lunney Brayley, J., Schwartz, D.S., Bové, C.M., Gordon, S.G., Jung, S.W., Brambilla, P., Moïse, N.S., Stauthammer, C.D., Stepien, R.L., Quintavalla, C., Amberger, C., Manczur, F., Hung, Y.-W., Lobetti, R., De Swarte, M., Tamborini, A., Mooney, C.T., Oyama, M.A., Komolov, A., Fujii, Y., Pariaut, R., Uechi, M., Tachika Ohara, V.Y. 2018. International collaborative study to assess cardiovascular risk and evaluate long-term health in cats with preclinical hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and apparently healthy cats: The REVEAL Study. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Karlin, E.T., Yang, V.K., Prabhakar, M., Gregorich, S.L., Hahn, S., Rush, J.E. 2018. Extracardiac intrapericardial myxosarcoma causing right ventricular outflow tract obstruction in a dog. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology.
- McCobb, E., Rozanski, E.A., Malcolm, E.L., Wolfus, G., Rush, J.E. 2018. A novel model for teaching primary care in a community practice setting: Tufts at tech community veterinary clinic. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Cunningham, S.M., Sweeney, J.T., MacGregor, J., Barton, B.A., Rush, J.E. 2018. Clinical features of English bulldogs with presumed arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy: 31 cases (2001-2013). Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Boswood, A., Gordon, S.G., Häggström, J., Wess, G., Stepien, R.L., Oyama, M.A., Keene, B.W., Bonagura, J., MacDonald, K.A., Patteson, M., Smith, S., Fox, P.R., Sanderson, K., Woolley, R., Szatmári, V., Menaut, P., Church, W.M., O'Sullivan, M.L., Jaudon, J.-P., Kresken, J.-G., Rush, J., Barrett, K.A., Rosenthal, S.L., Saunders, A.B., Ljungvall, I., Deinert, M., Bomassi, E., Estrada, A.H., Fernandez Del Palacio, M.J., Moise, N.S., Abbott, J.A., Fujii, Y., Spier, A., Luethy, M.W., Santilli, R.A., Uechi, M., Tidholm, A., Schummer, C., Watson, P. 2018. Longitudinal Analysis of Quality of Life, Clinical, Radiographic, Echocardiographic, and Laboratory Variables in Dogs with Preclinical Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease Receiving Pimobendan or Placebo: The EPIC Study. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Aona, B.D., Rush, J.E., Rozanski, E.A., Cunningham, S.M., Sharp, C.R., Freeman, L.M. 2017. Evaluation of echocardiography and cardiac biomarker concentrations in dogs with gastric dilatation volvulus. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Freeman, L.M., Sutherland-Smith, J., Prantil, L.R., Sato, A.F., Rush, J.E., Barton, B.A. 2017. Quantitative assessment of muscle in dogs using a vertebral epaxial muscle score. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Taylor, S., Rozanski, E., Sato, A.F., Rush, J.E. 2017. Vascular stent placement for palliation of mass-associated chylothorax in two dogs. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Hyertrophic cardiomyopathy in cats, arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy in Boxer dogs, dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs, degenerative mitral valve disease in small dogs.
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Cardiovascular Diseases and Nutrition
- Etiology of canine acquired valvular diseases and surgical interventions; genetic testing in cats with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy; Quality or quantity of life in dogs with cardiovascular disease
- Tissue plasminogen activator in cats with ATE; NT-BNP in dogs with DCM, CVD and shortness of breath
- Interventional radiography, genetic and nutritional factors for heart valve disease in dogs and cats, congestive heart failure, thromboelastography
- Morphometrics in cats with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
Nutritional Basis of Diseases
- Nutritional management of congestive heart failure
Major Specialized Equipment
- Cardiac catheterization laboratory