Nutritional Management of Cardiovascular Disease, Cardiology, Critical Care
As a veterinary cardiologist, Dr. John Rush has a special interest in drug and dietary therapies for the treatment of heart disease in small animals. He also performs many catheter-based procedures (interventional radiology), including the placement of pacemakers, coils and stents. In addition to his clinical duties, Dr. Rush teaches cardiology to second and third-year students and mentors fourth-year students in the Foster Hospital for Small Animals.
Growing up near Cleveland, Dr. Rush had a natural affinity for science and spent a great deal of time at the Lake Erie Nature and Science Center.
I collected insects, and if I had not become a veterinarian I might have been an entomologist, he says. He attended The Ohio State University for his undergraduate and veterinary degrees, then furthered his training in New York and Wisconsin. Drawn to the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine by a love of teaching, he joined the faculty here more than 20 years ago.
He likes the mix of teaching, clinical research, and caring for dogs and cats with heart disease, as well as the motivated and gifted students of the Cummings School. He has served as the primary mentor for two dozen veterinary residents in emergency and critical care and cardiology and has published on topics ranging from heart failure and respiratory distress to quality-of-life issues for pets.
Off-campus, Dr. Rush is very involved with both the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine and the American College of Emergency and Critical Care, and he is a diplomate of both societies. He has three dogs and counts home improvement as his favorite pastime.
- DVM - Ohio State University - 1984
- MS - Ohio State University - 1984
- Cardiology (ACVIM)
- Emergency and Critical Care (ACVECC)
- Boswood, A., Häggström, J., Gordon, S.G., Wess, G., Stepien, R.L., Oyama, M.A., Keene, B.W., Bonagura, J., MacDonald, K.A., Patteson, M., Smith, S., Fox, P.R., Sanderson, K., Woolley, R., Szatmári, V., Menaut, P., Church, W.M., O'Sullivan, M.L., Jaudon, J.-P., Kresken, J.-G., Rush, J., Barrett, K.A., Rosenthal, S.L., Saunders, A.B., Ljungvall, I., Deinert, M., Bomassi, E., Estrada, A.H., Fernandez Del Palacio, M.J., Moise, N.S., Abbott, J.A., Fujii, Y., Spier, A., Luethy, M.W., Santilli, R.A., Uechi, M., Tidholm, A., Watson, P. 2016. Effect of Pimobendan in Dogs with Preclinical Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease and Cardiomegaly: The EPIC Studyâ€”A Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Yang, V.K., Cunningham, S.M., Rush, J.E., de Laforcade, A. 2016. The use of rivaroxaban for the treatment of thrombotic complications in four dogs. Journal of veterinary emergency and critical care (San Antonio, Tex. : 2001).
- Hezzell, M.J., Rush, J.E., Humm, K., Rozanski, E.A., Sargent, J., Connolly, D.J., Boswood, A., Oyama, M.A. 2016. Differentiation of Cardiac from Noncardiac Pleural Effusions in Cats using Second-Generation Quantitative and Point-of-Care NT-proBNP Measurements. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Rush, J.E., Roderick, K.V., Freeman, L.M., Cunningham, S.M., Yang, V.K., Bulmer, B.J., Antoon, K.N. 2015. Assessment of the responsiveness of the Cats' Assessment Tool for Cardiac Health (CATCH) Questionnaire. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology.
- Freeman, L.M., Rush, J.E., Cunningham, S.M., Yang, V.K., Bulmer, B.J. 2015. Pilot study of a myostatin antagonist in dogs with cardiac cachexia. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology.
- Li, Q., Freeman, L.M., Rush, J.E., Laflamme, D.P. 2015. Expression profiling of circulating microRNAs in canine myxomatous mitral valve disease. International Journal of Molecular Sciences.
- Scansen, B.A., Simpson, E.M., López-Alvarez, J., Thomas, W.P., Bright, J.M., Eason, B.D., Rush, J.E., Dukes-Mcewan, J., Green, H.W., Cunningham, S.M., Visser, L.C., Kent, A.M., Schober, K.E. 2015. Pulmonary artery dissection in eight dogs with patent ductus arteriosus. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology.
- Yang, V.K., Nussbaum, L., Rush, J.E., Cunningham, S.M., Macgregor, J., Antoon, K.N. 2015. Congenital cardiac malformation with three-chambered right atrium and a persistent left cranial vena cava in a dog. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology.
- Freeman, L.M., Rush, J.E., Feugier, A., van Hoek, I. 2015. Relationship of body size to metabolic markers and left ventricular hypertrophy in cats. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Li, Q., Freeman, L.M., Rush, J.E., Huggins, G.S., Kennedy, A.D., Labuda, J.A., Laflamme, D.P., Hannah, S.S. 2015. Veterinary Medicine and Multi-Omics Research for Future Nutrition Targets: Metabolomics and Transcriptomics of the Common Degenerative Mitral Valve Disease in Dogs. OMICS A Journal of Integrative Biology.
- Fox, P.R., Oyama, M.A., Hezzell, M.J., Rush, J.E., Nguyenba, T.P., Defrancesco, T.C., Lehmkuhl, L.B., Kellihan, H.B., Bulmer, B., Gordon, S.G., Cunningham, S.M., Macgregor, J., Stepien, R.L., Lefbom, B., Adin, D., Lamb, K. 2015. Relationship of plasma N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide concentrations to heart failure classification and cause of respiratory distress in dogs using a 2nd generation ELISA assay. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Carvalho, K.N., Rush, J.E., Wetmore, L.A. 2014. ECG of the month. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Hall, D.J., Freeman, L.M., Rush, J.E., Cunningham, S.M. 2014. Comparison of serum fatty acid concentrations in cats with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and healthy controls. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Freeman, L.M., Rush, J.E., Cunningham, S.M., Bulmer, B.J. 2014. A randomized study assessing the effect of diet in cats with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Machen, M.C., Oyama, M.A., Gordon, S.G., Rush, J.E., Achen, S.E., Stepien, R.L., Fox, P.R., Saunders, A.B., Cunningham, S.M., Lee, P.M., Kellihan, H.B. 2014. Multi-centered investigation of a point-of-care NT-proBNP ELISA assay to detect moderate to severe occult (pre-clinical) feline heart disease in cats referred for cardiac evaluation. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology.
- Cunningham, S.M., Lindsey, K.J., Rush, J.E. 2013. Acquired gerbode defect and third-degree atrioventricular block secondary to vehicular trauma in a dog. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Freeman, L.M., Rush, J.E. 2013. Nutritional Management of Cardiovascular Diseases. Applied Veterinary Clinical Nutrition.
- Cunningham, S.M., Rush, J.E., Freeman, L.M. 2013. Short-Term Effects of Atorvastatin in Normal Dogs and Dogs with Congestive Heart Failure Due to Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Oyama, M.A., Boswood, A., Connolly, D.J., Ettinger, S.J., Fox, P.R., Gordon, S.G., Rush, J.E., Sisson, D.D., Stepien, R.L., Wess, G., Zannad, F. 2013. Clinical usefulness of an assay for measurement of circulating n-terminal pro-b-type natriuretic peptide concentration in dogs and cats with heart disease. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Tse, Y.C., Rush, J.E., Cunningham, S.M., Bulmer, B.J., Freeman, L.M., Rozanski, E.A. 2013. Evaluation of a training course in focused echocardiography for noncardiology house officers. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
General Research Interests
- Cardiovascular drug development for dogs and cats
- ECG interpretation
- Nutritional management of congestive heart failure
- Veterinary critical care monitoring
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Hyertrophic cardiomyopathy in cats, arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy in Boxer dogs, dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs, degenerative mitral valve disease in small dogs.
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Cardiovascular Diseases and Nutrition
- Etiology of canine acquired valvular diseases and surgical interventions; genetic testing in cats with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy; Quality or quantity of life in dogs with cardiovascular disease
- Tissue plasminogen activator in cats with ATE; NT-BNP in dogs with DCM, CVD and shortness of breath
- Interventional radiography, genetic and nutritional factors for heart valve disease in dogs and cats, congestive heart failure, thromboelastography
- Morphometrics in cats with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
Nutritional Basis of Diseases
- Nutritional management of congestive heart failure, new drugs for cardiovascular medicine, cardiac biomarkers.
Major Specialized Equipment
- Cardiac catheterization laboratory