Radiology, Diagnostic Imaging
Dr. James Sutherland-Smith is a specialist veterinary radiologist who interprets diagnostic imaging studies of all animal species and across all modalities. His particular interest is in magnetic resonance (MRI) and computed tomography imaging (CT), and he is board-certified by the American College of Veterinary Radiology.
Growing up in New Zealand, his introduction to the veterinary profession was spending summers with family friends who owned and ran a mixed animal practice. He says,
their roles as veterinarians in the community, the amazing diversity of work and the chance to help both animals and people got me hooked on the profession.Although his ideas about being a vet have changed over the years since childhood, he says being a radiologist is gratifying because
providing a timely and accurate diagnosis is an important resource for clinicians, the public and pets alike.
Dr. Sutherland-Smith trained as a veterinarian in New Zealand and joined Tufts for his radiology specialist training in 2004. In 2007, he completed his residency and joined the clinical sciences faculty as assistant professor.
As a veterinarian at the Foster Hospital, Dr. Sutherland-Smith says,
I get to work with a talented group of specialists and residents that keep me at the top of my field. We have access to world-class imaging equipment and a varied and challenging caseload from across New England. Our students are very motivated and sponge-like—they make my experiences as a teacher very rewarding.
Dr. Sutherland-Smith lives in Newton, MA, with his fiancé and their mixed-breed dog.
- BVSc - Massey University, New Zealand - 2003
- Diagnostic Imaging Residency - Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University - 2004-2007
House Officer Training
- ACVR Residency
- Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Radiology
- Szabo, D., Sutherland-Smith, J., Barton, B., Rozanski, E.A., Taeymans, O. 2015. Accuracy of a computed tomography bronchial wall thickness to pulmonary artery diameter ratio for assessing bronchial wall thickening in dogs. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Graham, S., Solano, M., Sutherland-Smith, J., Sato, A.F., Maranda, L. 2015. Diagnostic sensitivity of bone scintigraphy for equine stifle disorders. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Hobbs, J., Sutherland-Smith, J., Penninck, D., Jennings, S., Barber, L., Barton, B. 2015. Ultrasonographic features of canine gastrointestinal stromal tumors compared to other gastrointestinal spindle cell tumors. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Linder, D.E., Freeman, L.M., Sutherland-Smith, J. 2013. Association between subcutaneous fat thickness measured on thoracic radiographs and body condition score in dogs. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Ogata, N., Gillis, T.E., Liu, X., Cunningham, S.M., Lowen, S.B., Adams, B.L., Sutherland-Smith, J., Mintzopoulos, D., Janes, A.C., Dodman, N.H., Kaufman, M.J. 2013. Brain structural abnormalities in Doberman pinschers with canine compulsive disorder. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry.
- Hutchinson, D., Sutherland-Smith, J., Watson, A.L., Freeman, L.M. 2012. Assessment of methods of evaluating sarcopenia in old dogs. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Hutchinson, D., Freeman, L.M., McCarthy, R., Anastasio, J., Shaw, S.P., Sutherland-Smith, J. 2012. Seizures and severe nutrient deficiencies in a puppy fed a homemade diet. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Sutherland-Smith, J., Tilley, B. 2012. Magnetic resonance imaging metallic artifact of commonly encountered surgical implants and foreign material. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Tsai, S., Sutherland-Smith, J., Burgess, K., Ruthazer, R., Sato, A. 2012. Imaging characteristics of intrathoracic histiocytic sarcoma in dogs. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Bentley, R.T., Faissler, D., Sutherland-Smith, J. 2011. Successful management of an intracranial phaeohyphomycotic fungal granuloma in a dog. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Watson, A.T., Penninck, D., Knoll, J.S., Keating, J.H., Sutherland-Smith, J. 2011. Safety and correlation of test results of combined ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration and needle core biopsy of the canine spleen. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Sutherland-Smith, J., King, R., Faissler, D., Ruthazer, R., Sato, A. 2011. MAgnetic resonance imaging apparent diffusion coefficients for histologically confirmed intracranial lesions in dogs. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Gershenson, R.T., Melidone, R., Sutherland-Smith, J., Rogers, C.L. 2011. Abdominal aortic aneurysm associated with systemic fungal infection in a German shepherd dog. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Mai, W., Sutherland-Smith, J. 2010. Academic Radiology Careers: What Is Academia All About?. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Whelan, M.F., O'Toole, T.E., Carlson, K.R., Sutherland-Smith, J., Berg, J. 2007. Budd - Chiari-like syndrome in a dog with a chondrosarcoma of the thoracic wall. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Sutherland-Smith, J., Penninck, D.G., Keating, J.H., Webster, C.R.L. 2007. Ultrasonographic intestinal hyperechoic mucosal striations in dogs are associated with lacteal dilation. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Jerram, R.M., Walker, A.M., Sutherland-Smith, J., Warman, C.G.A., Lewis, D.D. 2005. Treating pedal shortening in a dog by metatarsal distraction osteogenesis. Journal of Small Animal Practice.
- Sutherland-Smith, J., Jerram, R.M., Walker, A.M., Warman, C.G.A. 2004. Ectopic ureters and ureteroceles in dogs: Treatment. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian.
- Sutherland-Smith, J., Jerram, R.M., Walker, A.M., Warman, C.G.A. 2004. Ectopic ureters and ureteroceles in dogs: Presentation, cause, and diagnosis. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian.
General Research Interests
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Abdominal Ultrasound
Research and Clinical Interests
- CT and MRI Imaging
- Director: 4th Year Clinical Radiology
Research Interests by Area
Other Areas of Research
- MRI and CT imaging
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Use of diagnostic imaging for spontaneous animal disease: CT, MRI, nuclear scintigraphy