Wildlife Medicine and Surgery, Seabird Biology, Oil Spill Response
- DVM - Cornell University - 1981
- BS - Oberlin College - 1976
- Murray, M., Pizzirani, S., Tseng, F. 2013. A technique for evisceration as an alternative to enucleation in birds of prey: 19 cases. Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery.
- Nisbet, I.C.T., Tseng, F.S., Apanius, V. 2013. Decreased hematocrits in common terns (sterna hirundo) exposed to oil: Distinguishing oil effects from natural variation. Waterbirds.
- Haman, K.H., Norton, T.M., Thomas, A.C., Dove, A.D.M., Tseng, F. 2012. Baseline health parameters and species comparisons among free-ranging Atlantic sharpnose (Rhizoprionodon terraenovae), bonnethead (Sphyrna tiburo), and spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) sharks in Georgia, Florida, and Washington, USA. Journal of Wildlife Diseases.
- Yabsley, M.J., Greiner, E., Tseng, F.S., Garner, M.M., Nordhausen, R.W., Ziccardi, M.H., Borjesson, D.L., Zabolotzky, S. 2009. Description of novel babesia species and associated lesions from common murres (uria aalge) from California. Journal of Parasitology.
- Kummrow, M.S., Tseng, F., Hesse, L., Court, M. 2008. Pharmacokinetics of buprenorphine after single-dose subcutaneous administration in red-eared sliders (Trachemys scripta elegans). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine.
- Murray, M., Tseng, F. 2008. Diagnosis and treatment of secondary anticoagulant rodenticide toxicosis in a red-tailed hawk (Buteo jamaicensis). Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery.
- Newman, S.H., Harris, R.J., Tseng, F.S. 2006. Beach surveys past, present, and future: Toward a global surveillance network for stranded seabirds. Marine Ornithology.
- Harris, R.J., Tseng, F.S., Pokras, M.A., Suedmeyer, B.A., Bogart, J.S.H., Prescott, R.L., Newman, S.H. 2006. Beached bird surveys in Massachusetts: The seabird ecological assessment network (SEANET). Marine Ornithology.
- Tseng, F.S. 2005. Care of oiled seabirds: A veterinary perspective. 2005 International Oil Spill Conference, IOSC 2005.
- Mazet, J., Tseng, F., Holcomb, J., Jessup, D. 2005. Oiled wildlife care network development for integrated emergency response. 2005 International Oil Spill Conference, IOSC 2005.
- Mazet, J., Tseng, F., Jessup, D. 2005. Oiled Wildlife Care Network development for integrated emergency response. 2005 International Oil Spill Conference, IOSC 2005.
- Mazet, J.A.K., Newman, S.H., Gilardi, K.V.K., Tseng, F.S., Holcomb, J.B., Jessup, D.A., Ziccardi, M.H. 2002. Advances in oiled bird emergency medicine and management. Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery.
- Newman, S.H., Anderson, D.W., Ziccardi, M.H., Trupkiewicz, J.G., Tseng, F.S., Christopher, M.M., Zinkl, J.G. 2000. An experimental soft-release of oil-spill rehabilitated American coots (Fulica americana): II. Effects on health and blood parameters. Environmental Pollution.
General Research Interests
- Wildlife medicine and surgery with an emphasis on seabird biology
Selected Research Projects
Seabird Ecological Assessment Network (SEANet) - a long term collaborative effort to assess the health of seabird populations from Delaware Bay to Atlantic Canada. The network compiles and analyzes data on population distribution, demographics, disease outbreaks, mortality events, and anthropogenic threats to seabirds, waterbirds, and waterfowl. We are also organizing and expanding volunteer-based beached bird surveys and forming a network of interested researchers in the region.
My interest in the subject of analgesia in wildlife patients has led to the development of a research project mapping opioid receptors in the brains of red-tailed hawks. We hope that this data will better inform our analgesic protocols in clinical patients.
Research and Clinical Interests
- Clinical wildlife medicine and surgery
- The effects of oil pollution on wildlife
- Marine ecosystem health
Research Interests by Area
International, Wildlife and Conservation Medicine
- SEANET; Petroleum Toxicity; Wildlife Analgesia