Anesthesia, Pain Medicine
Emily McCobb, DVM, MS, DACVAA, is Clinical Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and also directs the school’s Shelter Medicine Program. Her interests are in stress, pain and quality of life, and in preparing veterinary students to provide excellent anesthesia in general practice. Dr. McCobb received her veterinary degree from Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University in 2000 and completed a rotating internship at Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in 2001. After some time in private practice and obtaining a Masters of Animals and Public Policy, she returned to the Cummings School for a residency in Anesthesiology and Pain Management in 2003. She achieved board certification in 2006 and worked to start the anesthesia and surgery services at Tufts Vets, before joining the faculty of the Cummings School in the anesthesia section and the Center for Animals and Public Policy in 2009.
- MS - Animals & Public Policy - 2002
- DVM - Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine - 2000
- BS - Claremont McKenna College - 1995
House Officer Training
- Rotating Small Animal Internship - Angell Memorial Hospital
- Residency - Anesthesiology 2003-2006
- ACVAA - 2006
- LaVallee, E., Mueller, M.K., McCobb, E. 2017. A Systematic Review of the Literature Addressing Veterinary Care for Underserved Communities. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science.
- Welch, T., Coe, J.B., Niel, L., McCobb, E. 2017. A survey exploring factors associated with 2890 companion-rabbit ownersâ€™ knowledge of rabbit care and the neuter status of their companion rabbit. Preventive Veterinary Medicine.
- Benka, V., McCobb, E. 2016. The authors respond. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Benka, V.A., McCobb, E. 2016. Characteristics of cats sterilized through a subsidized, reduced-cost spay-neuter program in massachusetts and of owners who had cats sterilized through this program. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Griffin, B., Bushby, P.A., McCobb, E., White, S.C., Rigdon-Brestle, Y.K., Appel, L.D., Makolinski, K.V., Wilford, C.L., Bohling, M.W., Eddlestone, S.M., Farrell, K.A., Ferguson, N., Harrison, K., Howe, L.M., Isaza, N.M., Levy, J.K., Looney, A., Moyer, M.R., Robertson, S.A., Tyson, K. 2016. The association of shelter veterinariansâ€™ 2016 veterinary medical care guidelines for spay-neuter programs. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Intarapanich, N.P., McCobb, E.C., Reisman, R.W., Rozanski, E.A., Intarapanich, P.P. 2016. Characterization and Comparison of Injuries Caused by Accidental and Non-accidental Blunt Force Trauma in Dogs and Cats. Journal of Forensic Sciences.
- Glasere, M.E., McCobb, E. 2016. How can veterinarians report animal abuse if they donâ€™t know who to report it to?. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Lenihan, D., McCobb, E., Diurba, A., Linder, D., Freeman, L. 2016. Measuring the Effects of Reading Assistance Dogs on Reading Ability and Attitudes in Elementary Schoolchildren. Journal of Research in Childhood Education.
- McCobb, E., Dowling-Guyer, S. 2016. Welfare assessments for long-term housing in animal shelters. Veterinary Record.
- Shabelansky, A., Dowling-Guyer, S., Quist, H., D'Arpino, S.S., McCobb, E. 2015. Consistency of shelter dogs' behavior toward a fake versus real stimulus dog during a behavior evaluation. Applied Animal Behaviour Science.
- Broadley, H.M., McCobb, E.C., Slater, M.R. 2014. Effect of single-cat versus multi-cat home history on perceived behavioral stress in domestic cats (Felis silvestrus catus) in an animal shelter. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Wendelburg, K.M., O’toole, T.E., McCobb, E., Price, L.L., Lyons, J.A., Berg, J. 2014. Risk factors for perioperative death in dogs undergoing splenectomy for splenic masses: 539 cases (2001â€“2012). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Jones, S., Dowling-Guyer, S., Patronek, G.J., Marder, A.R., Segurson D'Arpino, S., McCobb, E. 2014. Use of Accelerometers to Measure Stress Levels in Shelter Dogs. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science.
- Cook, A.J., McCobb, E. 2012. Quantifying the Shelter Rabbit Population: An Analysis of Massachusetts and Rhode Island Animal Shelters. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science.
- Markovich, J.E., Ross, L., McCobb, E. 2012. The Prevalence of Leptospiral Antibodies in Free Roaming Cats in Worcester County, Massachusetts. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Benetato, M.A., Reisman, R., McCobb, E. 2011. The veterinarian's role in animal cruelty cases. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Abelson, A.L., McCobb, E.C., Shaw, S., Armitage-Chan, E., Wetmore, L.A., Karas, A.Z., Blaze, C. 2009. Use of wound soaker catheters for the administration of local anesthetic for post-operative analgesia: 56 cases. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia.
- Sanchez-Migallon Guzman, D., Mayer, J., Melidone, R., McCarthy, R.J., McCobb, E., Kavirayani, A., Rush, J.E. 2006. Pacemaker Implantation in a Ferret (Mustela putorius furo) With Third-Degree Atrioventricular Block. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Exotic Animal Practice.
- McCobb, E.C., Patronek, G.J., Marder, A., Dinnage, J.D., Stone, M.S. 2005. Assessment of stress levels among cats in four animal shelters. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- McCobb, E.C., Brown, E.A., Damiani, K., Dodman, N.H. 2001. Thunderstorm phobia in dogs: An internet survey of 69 cases. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
General Research Interests
- Companion animal management policy
- Stress and pain management
- Subjective scoring systems
Research and Clinical Interests
- Pain and stress assessment
- Clinical pharmacology of opioids
- Novel uses of local anesthetics
- Pain management
- Shelter policy
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Human Animal Interaction (HAI)
- Population medicine, animal shelters, human-animal bond.