Respiratory Disease, Hematology, Emergency & Critical Care
Growing up outside of Chicago, near the Brookfield Zoo, Dr. Elizabeth
Liz Rozanski developed a love for veterinary medicine from age five. As a member of the Foster Hospital for Small Animals' Emergency and Critical Care team, she treats animals at one of the nation's busiest academic emergency rooms. She is board-certified in both internal medicine and emergency and critical care.
Dr. Rozanski graduated from the University of Illinois with her DVMdegree. After completing a residency in Philadelphia, she was drawn to Tufts by the position's combination of research, teaching, and service. She teaches toxicology and respiratory medicine throughout the four-year Cummings School DVM curriculum, and lectures in others.
I love the students, she says.
They are a continued source of inspiration and enthusiasm.
She has also been involved in student efforts to provide free rabies vaccinations in low-income housing in the City of Worcester, serves as a faculty mentor for summer student research projects, has raised funds for the American Heart Association (with her dog, Brie, named after one of her favorite cases at the Foster Hospital) through the Central Massachusetts Heart Walk, and lectures often at continuing education and community events. She is also the past president of the Veterinary Comparative Respiratory Society.
Dr. Rozanski's primary research interest is in respiratory function in small animals, and she recently co-authored, with the help of fellow faculty member Dr. John Rush,
A Color Handbook of Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care Medicine (Manson, 2007). She lives near the school's Grafton campus with, as she notes,
a menagerie of pets—all rescues.
- DVM - University of Illinois - 1992
- Marschner, C.B., Kokla, M., Amigo, J.M., Rozanski, E.A., Wiinberg, B., McEvoy, F.J. 2017. Texture analysis of pulmonary parenchymateous changes related to pulmonary thromboembolism in dogs - a novel approach using quantitative methods. BMC Veterinary Research.
- Crane, C., Rozanski, E.A., Abelson, A.L., deLaforcade, A. 2017. Severe brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome is associated with hypercoagulability in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation.
- Rozanski, E., Lynch, A. 2017. Fluid Therapy in Lung Disease. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Small Animal Practice.
- Fahey, R., Rozanski, E., Paul, A., Rush, J.E. 2017. Prevalence of vomiting in dogs with pericardial effusion. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Mahon, J.L., Rozanski, E.A., Paul, A.L. 2017. Prevalence of serum antibody titers against canine distemper virus and canine parvovirus in dogs hospitalized in an intensive care unit. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Davies, R., Rozanski, E., Tseng, F., Jennings, S., Paul, A. 2016. Traumatic uterine rupture in three felids. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Cummings, K.A., Abelson, A.L., Rozanski, E.A., Sharp, C.R. 2016. The effect of storage on ammonia, cytokine, and chemokine concentrations in feline whole blood. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Porter, A., Rozanski, E., Price, L.L., Shaw, S. 2016. Evaluation of cardiac troponin I in dogs presenting to the emergency room using a point-of-care assay. Canadian Veterinary Journal.
- Hezzell, M.J., Rush, J.E., Humm, K., Rozanski, E.A., Sargent, J., Connolly, D.J., Boswood, A., Oyama, M.A. 2016. Differentiation of Cardiac from Noncardiac Pleural Effusions in Cats using Second-Generation Quantitative and Point-of-Care NT-proBNP Measurements. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Hanel, R.M., Palmer, L., Baker, J., Brenner, J.-A., Crowe, D.T., Dorman, D., Gicking, J.C., Gilger, B., Otto, C.M., Robertson, S.A., Rozanski, E., Trumpatori, B. 2016. Best practice recommendations for prehospital veterinary care of dogs and cats. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Fletcher, D.J., Rozanski, E.A., Brainard, B.M., de Laforcade, A.M., Brooks, M.B. 2016. Assessment of the relationships among coagulopathy, hyperfibrinolysis, plasma lactate, and protein C in dogs with spontaneous hemoperitoneum. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Morris, B.R., deLaforcade, A., Lee, J., Palmisano, J., Meola, D., Rozanski, E. 2016. Effects of in vitro hemodilution with crystalloids, colloids, and plasma on canine whole blood coagulation as determined by kaolin-activated thromboelastography. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Lynch, A.M., Respess, M., Boll, A.E., Bozych, M., Mcmichael, M., Fletcher, D.J., De Laforcade, A.M., Rozanski, E.A. 2016. Hospital-acquired Anemia in Critically Ill Dogs and Cats: A Multi-Institutional Study. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Boller, M., Fletcher, D.J., Brainard, B.M., Haskins, S., Hopper, K., Nadkarni, V.M., Morley, P.T., Mcmichael, M., Nishimura, R., Robben, J.H., Rozanski, E., Rudloff, E., Rush, J., Shih, A., Smarick, S., Tello, L.H. 2016. Utstein-style guidelines on uniform reporting of in-hospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation in dogs and cats. A RECOVER statement. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Rozanski, E. 2015. Feline Lower Airway Disease. August's Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine.
- Pfaff, A.W., Rozanski, E.A., Lynch, A.M. 2015. Massive haemorrhage associated with inadvertent incision of a suspected carotid artery pseudoaneurysm in a cat. Journal of Small Animal Practice.
- Houtsma, A., Bedenice, D., Pusterla, N., Pugliese, B., Mapes, S., Hoffman, A.M., Paxson, J., Rozanski, E., Mukherjee, J., Wigley, M., Mazan, M.R. 2015. Association between inflammatory airway disease of horses and exposure to respiratory viruses: A case control study. Multidisciplinary Respiratory Medicine.
- Rozanski, E.A. 2015. Oxygenation and Ventilation. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Small Animal Practice.
- Gallagher, B.R., Mahony, O.M., Rozanski, E.A., Buob, S., Freeman, L.M. 2015. A pilot study comparing a protocol using intermittent administration of glargine and regular insulin to a continuous rate infusion of regular insulin in cats with naturally occurring diabetic ketoacidosis. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Szabo, D., Sutherland-Smith, J., Barton, B., Rozanski, E.A., Taeymans, O. 2015. Accuracy of a computed tomography bronchial wall thickness to pulmonary artery diameter ratio for assessing bronchial wall thickening in dogs. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
General Research Interests
- Respiratory disease/ventilation
Selected Research Projects
- The role of viral infection in airway hyperreactivity, on-going
- The utility of glargine for DKA in cats (AAFP funded)
- The utility of sildenafil in canine pulmonary hypertension
- The utility of CT in diagnosis of pulmonary disease
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Asthma in cats, pulmonary fibrosis in West Highland terriers
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Cardiovascular Diseases and Nutrition
- Tissue plasminogen activator in cats with ATE; NT-BNP in dogs with DCM, CVD and shortness of breath
- Role of viral infection in airway hyper-reactivity, utility of CT in diagnosis of pulmonary disease, long-term effect of respiratory infections on feline lung function.
Emergency and Critical Care
- Prognostic indicators in emergency medicine. Respiratory disease (asthma) in dogs and cats, transfusion medicine, clinical critical care research
Major Specialized Equipment
- Puritan Bennett 840 Ventilator
- Buxco Pulmonary Function Computer