Respiratory Disease, Hematology, Emergency & Critical Care
Growing up outside of Chicago, near the Brookfield Zoo, Dr. Elizabeth
Liz Rozanski developed a love for veterinary medicine from age five. As a member of the Foster Hospital for Small Animals' Emergency and Critical Care team, she treats animals at one of the nation's busiest academic emergency rooms. She is board-certified in both internal medicine and emergency and critical care.
Dr. Rozanski graduated from the University of Illinois with her DVMdegree. After completing a residency in Philadelphia, she was drawn to Tufts by the position's combination of research, teaching, and service. She teaches toxicology and respiratory medicine throughout the four-year Cummings School DVM curriculum, and lectures in others.
I love the students, she says.
They are a continued source of inspiration and enthusiasm.
She has also been involved in student efforts to provide free rabies vaccinations in low-income housing in the City of Worcester, serves as a faculty mentor for summer student research projects, has raised funds for the American Heart Association (with her dog, Brie, named after one of her favorite cases at the Foster Hospital) through the Central Massachusetts Heart Walk, and lectures often at continuing education and community events. She is also the past president of the Veterinary Comparative Respiratory Society.
Dr. Rozanski's primary research interest is in respiratory function in small animals, and she recently co-authored, with the help of fellow faculty member Dr. John Rush,
A Color Handbook of Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care Medicine (Manson, 2007). She lives near the school's Grafton campus with, as she notes,
a menagerie of pets—all rescues.
- DVM - University of Illinois - 1992
- Fejfar, L.M., Rozanski, E.A., Mueller, M.K. 2018. Owner-witnessed cardiopulmonary resuscitation in small animal emergency veterinary medicine. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- McCobb, E., Rozanski, E.A., Malcolm, E.L., Wolfus, G., Rush, J.E. 2018. A novel model for teaching primary care in a community practice setting: Tufts at tech community veterinary clinic. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education.
- Vaught, M.E., Rozanski, E.A., deLaforcade, A.M. 2018. Effect of transoral tracheal wash on respiratory mechanics in dogs with respiratory disease. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Dorsey, T.I., Rozanski, E.A., Sharp, C.R., Babyak, J.M., de Laforcade, A.M. 2018. Evaluation of thromboelastography in bitches with pyometra. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation.
- Intarapanich, N.P., Touroo, R.M., Rozanski, E.A., Reisman, R.W., Intarapanich, P.P., McCobb, E.C. 2017. Characterization and comparison of injuries caused by spontaneous versus organized dogfighting. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Aona, B.D., Rush, J.E., Rozanski, E.A., Cunningham, S.M., Sharp, C.R., Freeman, L.M. 2017. Evaluation of echocardiography and cardiac biomarker concentrations in dogs with gastric dilatation volvulus. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Marschner, C.B., Kristensen, A.T., Rozanski, E.A., McEvoy, F.J., Kühnel, L., Taeymans, O., de Laforcade, A., Sato, A.F., Wiinberg, B. 2017. Diagnosis of canine pulmonary thromboembolism by computed tomography and mathematical modelling using haemostatic and inflammatory variables. Veterinary Journal.
- Taylor, S., Rozanski, E., Sato, A.F., Rush, J.E. 2017. Vascular stent placement for palliation of mass-associated chylothorax in two dogs. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Allukian, A.R., Abelson, A.L., Babyak, J., Rozanski, E.A. 2017. Comparison of time to obtain intraosseous versus jugular venous catheterization on canine cadavers. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Marschner, C.B., Kokla, M., Amigo, J.M., Rozanski, E.A., Wiinberg, B., McEvoy, F.J. 2017. Texture analysis of pulmonary parenchymateous changes related to pulmonary thromboembolism in dogs - a novel approach using quantitative methods. BMC Veterinary Research.
- Crane, C., Rozanski, E.A., Abelson, A.L., deLaforcade, A. 2017. Severe brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome is associated with hypercoagulability in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation.
- Rozanski, E., Lynch, A. 2017. Fluid Therapy in Lung Disease. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Small Animal Practice.
- Fahey, R., Rozanski, E., Paul, A., Rush, J.E. 2017. Prevalence of vomiting in dogs with pericardial effusion. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Mahon, J.L., Rozanski, E.A., Paul, A.L. 2017. Prevalence of serum antibody titers against canine distemper virus and canine parvovirus in dogs hospitalized in an intensive care unit. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Davies, R., Rozanski, E., Tseng, F., Jennings, S., Paul, A. 2016. Traumatic uterine rupture in three felids. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Cummings, K.A., Abelson, A.L., Rozanski, E.A., Sharp, C.R. 2016. The effect of storage on ammonia, cytokine, and chemokine concentrations in feline whole blood. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Intarapanich, N.P., McCobb, E.C., Reisman, R.W., Rozanski, E.A., Intarapanich, P.P. 2016. Characterization and Comparison of Injuries Caused by Accidental and Non-accidental Blunt Force Trauma in Dogs and Cats. Journal of Forensic Sciences.
- Rozanski, E. 2016. Common clinical problems: Dyspnea. Clinical Medicine of the Dog and Cat: Third Edition.
- Rozanski, E. 2016. Common clinical problems: Cough. Clinical Medicine of the Dog and Cat: Third Edition.
- Porter, A., Rozanski, E., Price, L.L., Shaw, S. 2016. Evaluation of cardiac troponin I in dogs presenting to the emergency room using a point-of-care assay. Canadian Veterinary Journal.
General Research Interests
- Respiratory disease/ventilation
Selected Research Projects
- The role of viral infection in airway hyperreactivity, on-going
- The utility of glargine for DKA in cats (AAFP funded)
- The utility of sildenafil in canine pulmonary hypertension
- The utility of CT in diagnosis of pulmonary disease
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Asthma in cats, pulmonary fibrosis in West Highland terriers
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Cardiovascular Diseases and Nutrition
- Tissue plasminogen activator in cats with ATE; NT-BNP in dogs with DCM, CVD and shortness of breath
- Role of viral infection in airway hyper-reactivity, utility of CT in diagnosis of pulmonary disease, long-term effect of respiratory infections on feline lung function.
Emergency and Critical Care
- Prognostic indicators in emergency medicine. Respiratory disease (asthma) in dogs and cats, transfusion medicine, clinical critical care research
Major Specialized Equipment
- Puritan Bennett 840 Ventilator
- Buxco Pulmonary Function Computer