Ultrasonography, Diagnostic Imaging, Radiology
A radiologist certified by veterinary boards on two continents, Dr.Dominique Penninck is a professor of diagnostic imaging at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine. Situated at the nexus between the Foster Hospital for Small Animals and the Hospital for Large Animals, the Cummings School's diagnostic imaging section comprises some of the most important diagnostic tools for veterinary cases: radiography (X-Rays), computerized tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound and interventional radiology.
Dr. Penninck was born in Burundi, Africa, and grew up in Belgium. After attending the Universite Catholique du Louvain, Belgium's largest French-speaking university, she went on to earn her veterinary degree and, later, a PhD, at the University of Liege in Brussels. She is a diplomate of both the American College of Veterinary Radiology and the European College of Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging, for which she served as president from 2006-2008. She is a member of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine and the Veterinary Ultrasound Society.
Prior to joining the Tufts faculty in 1989, Dr. Penninck served as a small animal practitioner in Belgium, an ultrasound consultant at the University of Montreal's veterinary school, undertook a radiology residency and later was a lecturer at the University of California at Davis.
Since 1996, Dr. Penninck has written chapters in eight textbooks on various radiological textbooks and served as the editor of the
Atlas of Small Animal Ultrasonography (Blackwell, 2008). She is also a prolific publisher of scientific journal articles, and has been invited to speak at imaging conferences in Italy, the Netherlands, Canada, Spain, France, Belgium, Sweden and throughout the United States.
- PhD - University of Liege, Belgium - 1998
- Radiology Residency at Davis, CA - 1985-88
- DVM - University of Liege, Belgium - 1981
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Radiology -1992
- Diplomate European College of Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging -1994
- Pavlick, M., Webster, C.R.L., Penninck, D.G. 2019. Bleeding risk and complications associated with percutaneous ultrasound-guided liver biopsy in cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Webster, C.R.L., Center, S.A., Cullen, J.M., Penninck, D.G., Richter, K.P., Twedt, D.C., Watson, P.J. 2019. ACVIM consensus statement on the diagnosis and treatment of chronic hepatitis in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Mariano, A.D., Penninck, D.G., Sutherland-Smith, J., Kudej, R.K. 2018. Ultrasonographic evaluation of the canine urinary bladder following cystotomy for treatment of urolithiasis. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Daure, E., Jania, R., Jennings, S., d’Anjou, M.-A., Penninck, D. 2017. Ultrasonographic and clinicopathological features of pyloroduodenal adenomatous polyps in cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Hobbs, J., Sutherland-Smith, J., Penninck, D., Jennings, S., Barber, L., Barton, B. 2015. Ultrasonographic features of canine gastrointestinal stromal tumors compared to other gastrointestinal spindle cell tumors. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Gladwin, N.E., Penninck, D.G., Webster, C.R.L. 2014. Ultrasonographic evaluation of the thickness of the wall layers in the intestinal tract of dogs. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Tucker, S., Penninck, D.G., Keating, J.H., Webster, C.R. 2014. Clinicopathological and ultrasonographic features of cats with eosinophilic enteritis. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Tracey, B., Penninck, D., Lemmerhirt, D., Polak, J. 2014. Robust adaptive beamforming for artifact suppression in gastrointestinal ultrasonography. IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium, IUS.
- Di Donato, P., Penninck, D., Pietra, M., Cipone, M., Diana, A. 2014. Ultrasonographic measurement of the relative thickness of intestinal wall layers in clinically healthy cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Penninck, D.G., Zeyen, U., Taeymans, O.N., Webster, C.R. 2013. Ultrasonographic measurement of the pancreas and pancreatic duct in clinically normal dogs. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Weissman, A., Penninck, D., Webster, C., Hecht, S., Keating, J., Craig, L.E. 2013. Ultrasonographic and clinicopathological features of feline gastrointestinal eosinophilic sclerosing fibroplasia in four cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Taeymans, O., Penninck, D.G., Peters, R.M. 2013. Comparison between clinical, ultrasound, ct, mri, and pathology findings in dogs presented for suspected thyroid carcinoma. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Felumlee, A.E., Reichle, J.K., Hecht, S., Penninck, D., Zekas, L., Dietze Yeager, A., Goggin, J.M., Lowry, J. 2012. Use of ultrasound to locate retained testes in dogs and cats. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Taeymans, O., Penninck, D. 2011. Contrast enhanced sonographic assessment of feeding vessels as a discriminator between malignant vs. benign focal splenic lesions. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Taeymans, O., Holt, N., Penninck, D.G., Webster, C.R. 2011. Ultrasonographic characterization of feline ileocecocolic abnormalities. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Watson, A.T., Penninck, D., Knoll, J.S., Keating, J.H., Sutherland-Smith, J. 2011. Safety and correlation of test results of combined ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration and needle core biopsy of the canine spleen. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Mareschal, A., Penninck, D., Webster, C.R.L. 2010. Ultrasonographic assessment of long-term enterectomy sites in dogs. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Penninck, D.G., Brisson, J.O., Webster, C.R.L. 2010. Sonographic assessment of gallbladder volume in normal cats. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Penninck, D.G., Webster, C.R.L., Keating, J.H. 2010. The sonographic appearance of intestinal mucosal fibrosis in cats. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- DeCubellis, J., Kruse, A.M., McCarthy, R.J., Zacher, L.A., Penninck, D., Watson, A.T., Parry, N., Donnelly, T.M., Mayer, J. 2010. Biliary cystadenoma in a rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus). Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine.
General Research Interests
- Ultrasonography of the digestive system
- Diagnostic modalities for pancreatic hepatic and gastrointestinal disorders in dogs and cats
- Abdominal radiology
- Interventional procedures
- Course Director - Clinical Application of Diagnostic Ultrasonography
Research Interests by Area
- Investigation of liver diseases using ultrasound. Ultrasonography; use of technology in teaching; gastrointestinal tract imaging
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Use of diagnostic imaging for spontaneous animal disease: CT, MRI, nuclear scintigraphy