Neurology and Neurosurgery
A neurosurgeon and neurologist, Dr. Dominik Faissler has served as an associate professor of neurology at the Cummings School's Foster Hospital for Small Animals at Tufts since 2000. He leads Tufts' neurology residency program at the veterinary school, teaches neurology, leads clinical skills labs on neurological evaluations for second-year students and serves as a Problem Based Learning facilitator for first-year students.
A native of Switzerland, Dr. Faissler earned his veterinary degree from the University of Berne, where he completed a thesis on
Genetic Aspects of Idiopathic Epilepsy in the Labrador Retriever. He also served as an assistant at the University's Institute of Theriogenology, a member of the Institute of Neurology's clinical staff and undertook a residency at the school. He has been a diplomate of the European College of Veterinary Neurology for more than 10 years.
Dr. Faissler has published in numerous scientific journals, contributed book chapters on topics ranging from tremor syndromes to the peripheral nervous system, and the abstract from a collaborative project he did with Drs. Blaze, Shaw and Dodman was presented at the World Veterinary Anesthesia Congress in Scotland in 2009. He has a clinical research interest in canine brain tumors and intervertebral disc disease, as well as other topics in neurosurgery, oncology, and compression of the cervical spine.
- Doctoral Thesis - University of Berne, Switzerland - 1995
- DVM - University of Berne, Switzerland - 1987
- European College of Veterinary Neurology (ECVN), 1999
- Blaze, C.A., Faissler, D., Schneider, B., Maranda, L., Barton, B., Simon, R.F., Dodman, N.H. 2016. The effect of acepromazine on electroencephalographic activity in normal sedated dogs. International Journal of Applied Research in Veterinary Medicine.
- Andersen, B.M., Pluhar, G.E., Seiler, C.E., Goulart, M.R., SantaCruz, K.S., Schutten, M.M., Meints, J.P., O'Sullivan, M.G., Bentley, R.T., Packer, R.A., Thomovsky, S.A., Chen, A.V., Faissler, D., Chen, W., Hunt, M.A., Olin, M.R., Ohlfest, J.R. 2013. Vaccination for invasive canine meningioma induces in situ production of antibodies capable of antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity. Cancer Research.
- Bentley, R.T., Faissler, D., Sutherland-Smith, J. 2011. Successful management of an intracranial phaeohyphomycotic fungal granuloma in a dog. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Sutherland-Smith, J., King, R., Faissler, D., Ruthazer, R., Sato, A. 2011. MAgnetic resonance imaging apparent diffusion coefficients for histologically confirmed intracranial lesions in dogs. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Boudrieau, R.J., Faissler, D. 2010. Questions cause of spinal cord compression in dog. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Bilderback, A.L., Faissler, D. 2009. Surgical management of a canine intracranial abscess due to a bite wound: Case Report. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Schneider, B.M., Dodman, N.H., Faissler, D., Ogata, N. 2009. Clinical use of an herbal-derived compound (Huperzine A) to treat putative complex partial seizures in a dog. Epilepsy and Behavior.
- Abelson, A.L., Faissler, D., Karas, A.Z. 2008. Anesthesia case of the month. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- McDonnell, J.J., Kalbko, K., Keating, J.H., Sato, A.F., Faissler, D. 2007. Multiple meningiomas in three dogs. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- McDonnell, J.J., Tidwell, A.S., Faissler, D., Keating, J. 2005. Magnetic resonance imaging features of cervical spinal cord meningiomas. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound.
- Bilzer, T., Faissler, D., Neumann, J., Bley, T., Steffen, F., Cizinauskas, S., Gaillard, C., Jaggy, A. 2004. Incidence of the labrador retriever hereditary myopathy: Neuromuscular changes in dogs with and without clinical signs | Myopathie der labrador retriever: NeuromuskulÃ¤re verÃ¤nderungen bei kranken und klinisch gesunden hunden. Tierarztliche Praxis Ausgabe K: Kleintiere - Heimtiere.
- Tomek, A., Kathmann, I., Faissler, D., Cizinauskas, S., Timmann, D., Reimer, Y., Moser, J., Jaggy, A. 2004. Tetanus in cats: 3 Clinical cases | Tetanus bei katzen: 3 Fallbeschreibungen. Schweizer Archiv fur Tierheilkunde.
- Busato, A., Faissler, D., Küpfer, U., Blum, J.W. 2002. Body condition scores in dairy cows: Associations with metabolic and endocrine changes in healthy dairy cows. Journal of Veterinary Medicine Series A: Physiology Pathology Clinical Medicine.
- Bley, T., Gaillard, Cl., Bilzer, Th., Braund, K.G., Faissler, D., Steffen, F., Cizinauskas, S., Neumann, J., Vögtli, T., Equey, R., Jaggy, A. 2002. Genetic aspects of labrador retriever myopathy. Research in Veterinary Science.
- Faissler, D., Griot-Wenk, M.E., Fatzer, R., Von Tscharner, C., Aberle-Thiemann, B., Jaggy, A. 1998. Seizures due to polycythemia: Review of literature and case report | KrampfanfÃ¤lle im Zusammenhang mit PolyzythÃ¤mie: LiteraturÃ¼bersicht und Fallbeschreibung. Schweizer Archiv fur Tierheilkunde.
- Jaggy, A., Faissler, D., Gaillard, C., Srenk, P., Graber, H. 1998. Genetic aspects of idiopathic epilepsy in Labrador retrievers. Journal of Small Animal Practice.
- Bruckmaier, R.M., Gregoretti, L., Jans, F., Faissler, D., Blum, J.W. 1998. Longissimus Dorsi Muscle Diameter, Backfat Thickness, Body Condition Scores and Skinfold Values Related to Metabolic and Endocrine Traits in Lactating Dairy Cows Fed Crystalline Fat or Free Fatty Acids. Journal of Veterinary Medicine Series A: Physiology Pathology Clinical Medicine.
- Giger, R., Faissler, D., Busato, A., Blum, J., Küpfer, U. 1997. Blood parameters during early lactation and their relationship to ovarian function in dairy cows | Blutparameter wÃ¤hrend der frÃ¼hlaktation in beziehung zur ovarfunktion bei milchkÃ¼hen. Reproduction in Domestic Animals.
- Heynold, Y., Faissler, D., Steffen, F., Jaggy, A. 1997. Clinical, epidemiological and treatment results of idiopathic epilepsy in 54 labrador retrievers: A long-term study. Journal of Small Animal Practice.
General Research Interests
- Brain and spinal cord tumors; Wobbler's disease; Encephalitis; Epilepsy
Selected Research Projects
- Outcome of different treatment options in canine frontal lobe meningioma
- Classification of spinal cord compressions in canine cervical spondylotic myelopathy (Wobbler's disease)
- Levetiracetam for the long-term treatment of canine idiopathic epilepsy
Research and Clinical Interests
- Diagnosis and treatment of brain and spinal cord tumors
- Diagnosis and treatment options for canine Wobbler's disease
- Diagnosis of canine encephalitis
- Medical treatment of canine idiopathic epilepsy
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Neurodegenerative disease in dogs, menigiomas and gliomas in dogs, intervertebral disk disease
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Oncology and Cancer Research and Clinical Trials
- Brain and spinal cord tumors.
Neurology and Behavior
- Nutritional modulation of epileptic seizures. Neurosurgery and brain tumors in dogs and cats; Chronic cervical spinal cord compressions
Major Specialized Equipment
- Spiral CT Picker Venue
- MRI Siemens Impact 1 Tesla
- Electrodiagnostic equipment Nicolet Viking IV P
- Linear accelerator Siemens Mevatron 77