Large Animal Medicine and Theriogenology
Dr. Matsas received his undergraduate degree from the University of Connecticut, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from Purdue University and performed his residency at Cornell University. He is an assistantprofessor at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University. With professional interests in Superovulation, Embryo Transfer and Semen Cryopreservation in small ruminants, Dr. Matsas has completed research in Large Animal Reproductive Medicine and Assisted Reproductive Technology, as well as the Swiss Village Farm (SVF) Foundation Rare Breeds Preservation Project. Dr. Matsas is Board Certified by the American College of Theriogenologists and serves on the Board of Directors of the Theriogenology Foundation. In his free time, he enjoys cycling, running, windsurfing and snowboarding.
- DVM – Purdue University, 1984
- BS – University of Connecticut, 1980
- American College of Theriogenologists
- Roof, D.J., Bowley, S., Price, L.L., Matsas, D.J. 2012. Comparison of two commercial extenders for cryopreservation of goat semen without sperm washing. Theriogenology.
- Moutsatsou, A., Karayannis, V., Matsas, D., Katsika, E., Tsipoura, S. 2008. Microstructure analysis of sintered lignite combustion ashes. A Global Road Map for Ceramic Materials and Technologies: Forecasting the Future of Ceramics, International Ceramic Federation - 2nd International Congress on Ceramics, ICC 2008, Final Programme.
- Matsas, D. 2006. Pregnancy Diagnosis in Goats. Current Therapy in Large Animal Theriogenology: Second Edition.
- Moutsatsou, A., Gregou, M., Matsas, D., Protonotarios, V. 2006. Washing as a remediation technology applicable in soils heavily polluted by mining-metallurgical activities. Chemosphere.
- Matsas, D.J., Warnick, L.D., Mechor, G.D., Seib, L.N., Fatone, S., White, M.E., Guard, C.L. 1999. Use of a water hardness test kit to measure serum calcium concentration in cattle. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Del Vecchio, R.P., Matsas, D.J., Fortin, S., Sponenberg, D.P., Lewis, G.S. 1994. Spontaneous uterine infections are associated with elevated prostaglandin F
2Î± metabolite concentrations in postpartum dairy cows. Theriogenology.
- Matsas, D.J. 1993. Use of an on-farm progesterone test in the clinical management of parturient disorders in three cows. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Matsas, D.J., Nebel, R.L., Pelzer, K.D. 1992. Evaluation of an on-farm blood progesterone test for predicting the day of parturition in cattle. Theriogenology.
- Del Vecchio, R.P., Matsas, D.J., Inzana, T.J., Sponenberg, D.P., Lewis, G.S. 1992. Effect of intrauterine bacterial infusions and subsequent endometritis on prostaglandin F2 alpha metabolite concentrations in postpartum beef cows.. Journal of animal science.
- Weber, M.E., White, M.E., Guard, C.L., Matsas, D.J., Hatfield, C.E., Smith, M.C., Stehman, S.M. 1989. Effect of large palpable ovarian follicles on response to prostaglandin administration in dairy cows with corpora lutea. Canadian Veterinary Journal.
- Matsas, D.J., Yang, T.J. 1980. Karyotype analysis of leukocytes of gray collie (cyclic neutropenia)-normal bone marrow transplant chimeras six years after transplantation.. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
General Research Interests
- Superovulation and embryo transfer in small ruminants
- Semen cryopreservation in small ruminants
Selected Research ProjectsCollection of embryos and semen from endangered breeds of sheep, goats, cattle, and horses. Privately funded.
Research and Clinical Interests
- SVF Foundation Rare Breed Preservation Project
- Reproductive Pathophysiology
- Clinical Skills