Respiratory Physiology, Large Animal Medicine
A leading expert on llamas, alpacas and other camelid species, Dr.Daniela Bedenice brings a wonderful range of expertise to the Hospital for Large Animals. In addition to her camelid care, Dr. Bedenice takes great pride in her work with foals and adult horses.
Dr. Bedenice grew up in rural Germany, where she trained and cared for many horses, and even accompanied her local veterinarian on nearly two years' worth of farm calls.
I guess I was hooked, she says. After earning her veterinary degree from the Free University of Berlin,Dr. Bedenice undertook a residency with a private practice. Soon after, she moved to the United States, earned her board certification in both veterinary internal medicine and emergency and critical care, and joined the faculty at the Cummings School.
Dr. Bedenice was drawn to The Hospital for Large Animals because it offered a unique environment of collegiality, mentorship, intellectual wealth and professional challenge, all of which presented the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the veterinary profession.
As an Assistant Professor in the Department of Clinical Sciences at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine,Dr. Bedenice leads and contributes to a variety of courses and clinics, including large animal internal medicine, gastro-intestinal disease and neurology, camelid medicine, gastro-intestinal pathophysiology, neuro-pathophysiology, toxicology, clinical pharmacology. She also serves as a facilitator for the Problem-Based Learning course.
The greatest honor is to observe the professional growth and enthusiasm of those you had the pleasure of teaching, she says.
- Dr. med. vet. - Free University of Berlin, Germany - 1997
- Diplomate ACVIM (Large Animal) - 2002
- Diplomate ACVECC (Equine) - 2005
- Kumar, D., Chaudhary, S., Lu, N., Duff, M., Heffel, M., McKinney, C.A., Bedenice, D., Marthaler, D. 2019. Metagenomic next-generation sequencing reveal presence of a novel ungulate bocaparvovirus in alpacas. Viruses.
- Luethy, D., Frimberger, A.E., Bedenice, D., Byrne, B.S., Groover, E.S., Gardner, R.B., Lewis, T., MacDonald, V.S., Proctor-Brown, L., Tomlinson, J.E., Rassnick, K.M., Johnson, A.L. 2019. Retrospective evaluation of clinical outcome after chemotherapy for lymphoma in 15 equids (1991-2017). Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Dixon, C.E., Bedenice, D. 2019. Transplacental infection of a foal with Anaplasma phagocytophilum. Equine Veterinary Education.
- Benavides, K., Rozanski, E., Anastasio, J.D., Bedenice, D. 2019. The effect of inhaled heliox on peak flow rates in normal and brachycephalic dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Bedenice, D., Johnson, A.L. 2018. Neurologic Conditions Affecting the Equine Athlete. Veterinary Clinics of North America - Equine Practice.
- Gestrich, A., Bedenice, D., Ceresia, M., Zaghloul, I. 2018. Pharmacokinetics of intravenous gentamicin in healthy young-adult compared to aged alpacas. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
- Thane, K., Bedenice, D., Pacheco, A. 2017. Operator-based variability of equine thromboelastography. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Pollock, J., Bedenice, D., Jennings, S.H., Papich, M.G. 2017. Pharmacokinetics of an extended-release formulation of eprinomectin in healthy adult alpacas and its use in alpacas confirmed with mange. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
- LoPinto, A.J., Pirie, C.G., Ayres, S.L., Bedenice, D. 2017. Comparison of indocyanine green and sodium fluorescein for anterior segment angiography of ophthalmically normal eyes of goats, sheep, and alpacas performed with a digital single-lens reflex camera adaptor. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Lopinto, A.J., Pirie, C.G., Bedenice, D., Ayres, S.L. 2017. Corneal thickness of eyes of healthy goats, sheep, and alpacas manually measured by use of a portable spectral-domain optical coherence tomography device. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
- Kragness, B.J., Graham, J.E., Bedenice, D., Restifo, M.M., Boudrieau, R.J. 2016. Surgical correction of a cervical spinal fracture in a bennett's wallaby (Macropus Rufogriseus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine.
- Houtsma, A., Bedenice, D., Pusterla, N., Pugliese, B., Mapes, S., Hoffman, A.M., Paxson, J., Rozanski, E., Mukherjee, J., Wigley, M., Mazan, M.R. 2015. Association between inflammatory airway disease of horses and exposure to respiratory viruses: A case control study. Multidisciplinary Respiratory Medicine.
- Restifo, M.M., Bedenice, D., Thane, K.E., Mazan, M.R. 2015. Cavitary Effusion Associated with Anaplasma phagocytophilum Infection in 2 Equids. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Fecteau, M.-E., Bedenice, D., Cebra, C.K., Pinn, T.L., Mcadams, S.C., Fyock, T.L., Whitlock, R.H., Sweeney, R.W. 2013. Prevalence of mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis fecal shedding in alpacas presented to veterinary hospitals in the United States. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Henningson, J.N., Steffen, D.J., Topliff, C.L., Kurth, K.L., Dubielzig, R.R., Brodersen, B.W., Bedenice, D., Eskridge, K.M., Callan, R.J., Reggiardo, C., Rupp, G.P., Kelling, C.L. 2013. Systemic Distribution of Viral Antigen in Alpacas Persistently Infected With Bovine Pestivirus. Veterinary Pathology.
- Tremblay, J.M., Mukherjee, J., Leysath, C.E., Debatis, M., Ofori, K., Baldwin, K., Boucher, C., Peters, R., Beamer, G., Sheoran, A., Bedenice, D., Tzipori, S., Shoemaker, C.B. 2013. A single VHH-based toxin-neutralizing agent and an effector antibody protect mice against challenge with Shiga toxins 1 and 2. Infection and Immunity.
- Holmes, K., Bedenice, D., Papich, M.G. 2012. Florfenicol pharmacokinetics in healthy adult alpacas after subcutaneous and intramuscular injection. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
- Oura, T., Rozanski, E.A., Buckley, G., Bedenice, D. 2012. Low tidal volume ventilation in healthy dogs. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Mukherjee, J., Tremblay, J.M., Leysath, C.E., Ofori, K., Baldwin, K., Feng, X., Bedenice, D., Webb, R.P., Wright, P.M., Smith, L.A., Tzipori, S., Shoemaker, C.B. 2012. A novel strategy for development of recombinant antitoxin therapeutics tested in a mouse botulism model. PLoS ONE.
- Pacheco, A.P., Bedenice, D., Mazan, M.R., Hoffman, A.M. 2012. Respiratory mechanics and results of cytologic examination of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in healthy adult alpacas. American Journal of Veterinary Research.
General Research Interests
Comparative respiratory physiology and non-invasive pulmonary function testing (equine, canine, camelid). Large animal neonatal and adult critical care. Emerging infectious diseases in camelids.
Selected Research Projects
- Characterization of immune responses in juvenile alpacas persistently infected with BVDV. Alpaca Research Foundation (ARF).
- The cardiovascular effects of dobutamine infusion in healthy, adult, anesthetized alpacas. Empire Alpaca Association.
- The humoral response to EEE vaccination in healthy alpacas. (ARF).
- Non-invasive measurement of respiratory resistance (Rrs) using two different oscillatory methods in the horse: Comparative study of impulse oscillometry (IOS) and Monofrequency Forced Oscillatory Mechanics (FOM) in the adult horse, pre and post bronchodilation.
- Non-invasive measurement of airway resistance (Raw) and functional residual capacity (FRC) in conscious sheep and dogs.
- Respiratory mechanics in awake adult llamas.
Research and Clinical Interests
- Non-invasive pulmonary function testing (horses, dogs, camelids)
- Comparative respiratory physiology
- Large Animal Neonatal and Adult Critical Care (horses, camelids)
- Advanced Medical Care for Equine and Camelid species (llama, alpaca)
- Emerging infectious diseases in camelids (Eastern Equine Encephalitis, BVD)
Research Interests by Area
Other Areas of Research
- Humoral response to vaccination
- Regenerative medicine in camelids.
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Respiratory disease in large animals, COPD, parasitic lung disease
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
- Comparative respiratory physiology and non-invasive pulmonary function testing (equine,canine,camelid). Respiratory disease in horses and alpacas, clinical pharmacology
Major Specialized Equipment
Pulmonary Mechanics Data Acquisition System - XA BioSystem ; Whole Body Plethysmograph ; Canine (Head-Out) Plethysmograph; small Canine Whole Body (unrestrained) Plethysmograph (measurement of PENH); inductance plethysmography (Respitrace ) for measurements of abdominal and rib cage ventilation and thoracoabdominal synchrony; Helium and Carbon Monoxide Monitor (Morgan Scientific - measurement of diffusion capacity of CO and helium dilution using rebreathing, steady state, or single breath method); ventilators; Indirect Calorimeter (Vmax, ViaSys) - resting and exercise energy (VO2, VCO2, RQ), Sato High Speed Treadmill for exercise studies in horses, sheep, dogs, etc.; patient monitoring system (Passport II ), Arterial Blood Gas Analyzer; Computed Tomography (Pickard 5000 Spiral CT and densitometry software); video endoscopy/gastroscopy etc. Clinical pathology, pathology, ultrasound and radiology facilities complement the environment.