Emergency & Critical Care/Anesthesia
Dr. Amanda Abelson joined the faculty of the Tufts Cummings’ School of Veterinary Medicine in 2012 as a member of both the anesthesia service and the small animal emergency and critical care service. Her particular interests include anesthesia of the high risk patient and perioperative management of critically ill dogs and cats.
Dr. Abelson grew up not far from Tufts, in a house that was always filled with a variety of adored pets. When she was a young girl, her interest in veterinary medicine was sparked when her gerbil was injured and received medical care at a local veterinary emergency room.
Dr. Abelson received her DVM from Tufts in 2005. During her fourth year as a student she discovered that she had a love of both anesthesia and small animal emergency and critical care. Following a one year internship, Dr. Abelson entered a combined residency at Tufts in both specialties which she completed in 2011. She is one of only a handful of veterinarians who specializes in both areas. After a year working at the University of Florida Teaching Hospital, she returned to Tufts. Dr. Abelson’s research interests include transfusion medicine, abdominal sepsis, and trauma.
Dr. Abelson met her husband in Hawaii while they were training dolphins. They now have two young children, a dog named Rosie, three cats, and a very busy household.
- BA Bowdoin College
- DVM Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
- Residency Cerificate Small and Large Animal Anesthesia
- Residency Certificate Small Animal Emergency & Critical Care
- American College of Veterinary Anesthesia & Analgesia (ACVAA)
- American College of Veterinary Emergency & Critical Care
- Sahagian, M.J., Costa, R.S., Abelson, A.L. 2019. Anesthesia case of the month. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Reader, R.C., Barton, B.A., Abelson, A.L. 2019. Comparison of two intramuscular sedation protocols on sedation, recovery and ease of venipuncture for cats undergoing blood donation. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Greenway, C., Rozanski, E., Johnson, K., Cornejo, L., Abelson, A., Robinson, N. 2019. Fatal hemoptysis after bronchoscopic biopsy in a dog. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Allukian, A.R., Abelson, A.L., Babyak, J., Rozanski, E.A. 2017. Comparison of time to obtain intraosseous versus jugular venous catheterization on canine cadavers. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Crane, C., Rozanski, E.A., Abelson, A.L., deLaforcade, A. 2017. Severe brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome is associated with hypercoagulability in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation.
- Roderick, K.V., Abelson, A.L., Nielsen, L., Price, L.L., Quinn, R. 2017. Evaluation of red blood cell distribution width as a prognostic indicator in cats with acquired heart disease, with and without congestive heart failure. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
- Cummings, K.A., Abelson, A.L., Rozanski, E.A., Sharp, C.R. 2016. The effect of storage on ammonia, cytokine, and chemokine concentrations in feline whole blood. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Abelson, A.L., Buckley, G.J., Rozanski, E.A. 2013. Positive impact of an emergency department protocol on time to antimicrobial administration in dogs with septic peritonitis. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Abelson, A.L., O'Toole, T.E., Johnston, A., Respess, M., de Laforcade, A.M. 2013. Hypoperfusion and acute traumatic coagulopathy in severely traumatized canine patients.. Journal of veterinary emergency and critical care (San Antonio, Tex. : 2001).
- Abelson, A.L., Armitage-Chan, E., Lindsey, J.C., Wetmore, L.A. 2011. A comparison of epidural morphine with low dose bupivacaine versus epidural morphine alone on motor and respiratory function in dogs following splenectomy. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia.
- Abelson, A.L., Shelton, G.D., Whelan, M.F., Cornejo, L., Shaw, S., O'Toole, T.E. 2009. Use of mycophenolate mofetil as a rescue agent in the treatment of severe generalized myasthenia gravis in three dogs. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.
- Abelson, A.L., McCobb, E.C., Shaw, S., Armitage-Chan, E., Wetmore, L.A., Karas, A.Z., Blaze, C. 2009. Use of wound soaker catheters for the administration of local anesthetic for post-operative analgesia: 56 cases. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia.
- Abelson, A.L., Karas, A.Z. 2008. The authors respond. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Abelson, A.L., Faissler, D., Karas, A.Z. 2008. Anesthesia case of the month. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
General Research Interests
- Transfusion medicine
- Abdominal sepsis
Selected Research Projects
- Coagulopathy in trauma
Research and Clinical Interests
- Transfusion medicine
- Management of abdominal sepsis
- Management of severe trauma
- Antibiotic selection for sepsis
- Anesthesia of the critically ill
- Clinical Skills I and II Course Director
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
Emergency and Critical Care
- Protocol driven clinical practice, trauma, transfusion medicine